Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
MrLongbeard

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by MrLongbeard »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:06 am Just got home and the neighbours and their 'gardeners'* think that this is the perfect time of year to trim their hedges. (There's quite a lot of hedge). It's still bird nesting season.
Yep, our front hedge looks like a bleedin' mess and is in serious need of a short back n sides, but there's still at least 3 nests in there with chicks just getting ready to piss off in to the wide world
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Builders who don't turn up for appointments and don't even let you know they're not coming but have the audacity to ring you 2 weeks later and say, "Alright Mate, you still want that job done or what"? :wtf:
Felix

Post by Felix »

Lost count how many hedges i have cut over the past two month. I do point out its nesting season and very few are willing to wait. I have only four customers willing to wait until the end of July.
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Fuckers who turn up over an hour later than agreed then act like nowt is the matter or don’t turn up at all, no fuck you, I’ve prepped food for you all turning up, I don’t expect to spend my entire Friday night pandering to your piss poor timekeeping.

I’ve turned the pizza oven off for a bit as “it needs to cool down”, fuck em, the spare dough will be tomorrow’s bread for my bacon sarnie!
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Finding out you've left the car window open AFTER the storm has passed.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Felix wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:15 pm Lost count how many hedges i have cut over the past two month. I do point out its nesting season and very few are willing to wait. I have only four customers willing to wait until the end of July.
If you cut it, you carry the can, not the customer who wanted you to.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Wossname wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:49 pm
Felix wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:15 pm Lost count how many hedges i have cut over the past two month. I do point out its nesting season and very few are willing to wait. I have only four customers willing to wait until the end of July.
If you cut it, you carry the can, not the customer who wanted you to.
No can to carry, Its not illegal to trim the hedge or even cut down for that matter unless you are destroying active nests. I have three to lower by a good four foot what do have nests and they are waiting and another to take away completely. As for trimming the tops and sides it all allowed. Again only illegal if destroying an active nest.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Weird video thing happening with my Macbook

The video below shows the macbook hooked up to a large screen but it's exactly the same using the Macbook screen. It's like it can't decide if it needs to be "yellow shade" or "White shade". TBF the video doesn't show it that well, it's much worse IRL

Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

A second one from me....

The yoof of today, they can't bloody count !!

Bought a baguette €1.10, gave the guy €1 coin and a 50 cent coin. He stared at them for far too long, then chucked them in the till, took waaaaaay to long to work out how much the change should be, then got it wrong. I left 10 cent short (I think I can cope) shaking my head in disbelief.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Jody wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:42 am A second one from me....

Bought a baguette €1.10, gave the guy €1 coin and a 50 cent coin. He stared at them for far too long, then chucked them in the till, took waaaaaay to long to work out how much the change should be, then got it wrong. I left 10 cent short (I think I can cope) shaking my head in disbelief.
I can't see what the coins are anymore, without my glasses, so I hold out my change and the baguette man takes what he wants.

In other bread news, in the effing artisanal bread shop today I managed to pay 7€ for a loaf. FFS.!
Felix

Post by Felix »

Changing the injectors today in the camperbus. Previous arsehole what put them in never put copper crush washers in just done them up to tight as fuck newton meters. To be doubly pissed off i cant find the set i bought two weeks ago knowing all to well that i will find them after i order a new pair. Trippily pissed off as i could not get just washers on prime but had to buy a set with the top dust seals also what i bloody have. Got them at the same time as my coper seals :lol:
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

The old mans knee replacement.

He also has a thing called neuropathy and was taking shit loads of Oxycontin for it. I've managed to get his daily dose to less than half and turned him from an incoherent zombie that was sleeping 16 hours a day back to his old self. The new knee was hurting in the night so the fucker got up and took a decent dose of Oxycontin. He's not happy as I've now hidden it, the boxes, the stuff from his weekly pill box and the supply of another drug called oxynorm. I'll have to let him have some later as he gets very bad withdrawal symptoms, then he can go back to the dose we agreed and he's been taking.

Oxycontin is highly addictive and at 87 he'll be using it for the rest of his life. He understands the reasons for reducing the dose and can see the benefits, he's managing to get up in the night if he needs the toilet and hasn't shit the bed this week. I'm absolutely fucking livid this morning.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

DefTrap wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:56 pm

I can't see what the coins are anymore, without my glasses, so I hold out my change and the baguette man takes what he wants.
Coins? How quaint!
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
David

Post by David »

My first proper job was in a department store. Till use involved totalling purchases in your head, knowing what the change should be before you actually enter it in the till. This was 1966.
I work in Charlie's in Aber now...on the tills....now I deliberately don't work it out, but follow the till. I rarely have shortages now.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

David wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:02 am My first proper job was in a department store. Till use involved totalling purchases in your head, knowing what the change should be before you actually enter it in the till. This was 1966.
I work in Charlie's in Aber now...on the tills....now I deliberately don't work it out, but follow the till. I rarely have shortages now.
Do you listen to Steve Snelling on Radio Aber?
David

Post by David »

Never listened to local radio.
Radio 4 for me!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

David wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:02 am My first proper job was in a department store. Till use involved totalling purchases in your head, knowing what the change should be before you actually enter it in the till. This was 1966.
My first part time job was as a barmaid (well, second, waitressing was first!). Luckily I was good at mental arithmetic. Learnt fast that I also had to be good chatting politely with people whilst they messed up/changed their orders, meaning I had to change the arithmetic and then remember it all as I went along till they managed to find their wallet and pay. Then be able to sort out the change. All whilst still chatting politely! :lol: :lol:

New tills confuse the hell out of me - have to remember to 'switch off' normal adding mode and just chat, pour, take money, give change!!! :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Noggin wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:24 pm
My first part time job was as a barmaid (well, second, waitressing was first!). Luckily I was good at mental arithmetic. Learnt fast that I also had to be good chatting politely with people whilst they messed up/changed their orders, meaning I had to change the arithmetic and then remember it all as I went along till they managed to find their wallet and pay. Then be able to sort out the change. All whilst still chatting politely! :lol: :lol:

New tills confuse the hell out of me - have to remember to 'switch off' normal adding mode and just chat, pour, take money, give change!!! :lol:
The pub I worked in as a yoof had a 'tally machine' (old fashioned till with £sd and a crank handle) that we were supposed to total the orders on. But none of us did - we were all educated and you couldn't see the print on the effing tally machine anyway. We mainly just used to enter the totals we'd logged in our heads, and use it to annoy the punters.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

I was in a shop during a power cut so the electric till wasn't working. The lady in front of me was buying a couple of items, batteries, I think, @ £2.99 each. The employee at the till used a calculator to work out the total. The customer looked at me with a :roll: as if to say "Did she really need a calculator to work out 3 + 3?"

That was in the early 90s. The employee was in her 20s so she's now in her 50s (and probably still uses a calculator to work out 3+ 3). It's not just today's yoofs wot can't count. ;)
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Slight variation...some years ago in the local supermarket the systems went belly up. Rather than not sell anything and hack people off, they simply put trusted staff at each till and either asked you how much you thought your trolley full should be and/or what you usually paid for your shopping. (I think they could still take electronic payment).

I guess, on balance it all worked out but their stock value to income stats might have taken a beating. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire