Rumble in the Bronx

Anything you like about motorbikes
KungFooBob

Rumble in the Bronx

Post by KungFooBob »

or not as the case may be.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/n ... -cancelled

Looks like Harley are not going to launch the Bronx, which is a shame as I reckoned it looked the best of the new range, the mockup they had at the NEC last year looked alright.

Sorry for those hoping for some Jackie Chan content.
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Rumble in the Bronx

Post by weeksy »

Thank Christ for that!
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Harley-Davidson wrote:‘enhance core strengths’, ‘prioritise markets that matter’ ‘reset product launches and product line-up for simplicity and maximum impact’.

Zeitz said in July: “We are streamlining our motorcycle models by approximately 30%, with plans to further refine our product portfolio.
...which is probably in line with the fall in bike sales courtesy COVID-19. I haven't seen Harley's half-yearly figures but Suzuki posted a big loss last month.

I suspect any company that relies mostly on high end machinery will be in trouble. Andrea Dovizioso is the first casualty of Ducat's cost-cutting, as they attempt to prune back their MotoGP budget. He wanted a pay rise after three 2nd place finishes on the bounce and they wanted him to take a pay cut.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
The Spin Doctor

weeksy wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:24 pm Thank Christ for that!
The odd thing is that it's the first Harley I've liked the look of since their flat tracker from about forty years ago! :shifty:

I'm not sure what that says about me! :silent:
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Skub

Post by Skub »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:13 pm Andrea Dovizioso is the first casualty of Ducat's cost-cutting, as they attempt to prune back their MotoGP budget. He wanted a pay rise after three 2nd place finishes on the bounce and they wanted him to take a pay cut.
Dovi actually did take a pay cut in recognition of the strain all companies currently experience. According to his manager the fall out with Ducati wasn't to do with money,rather Dovi felt he wasn't valued as a rider. With regard to the new contract,Ducati management prevaricated so long,that Dovi lost patience. Money was never discussed.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:13 pm
Harley-Davidson wrote:‘enhance core strengths’, ‘prioritise markets that matter’ ‘reset product launches and product line-up for simplicity and maximum impact’.

Zeitz said in July: “We are streamlining our motorcycle models by approximately 30%, with plans to further refine our product portfolio.
...which is probably in line with the fall in bike sales courtesy COVID-19. I haven't seen Harley's half-yearly figures but Suzuki posted a big loss last month.

I suspect any company that relies mostly on high end machinery will be in trouble. Andrea Dovizioso is the first casualty of Ducat's cost-cutting, as they attempt to prune back their MotoGP budget. He wanted a pay rise after three 2nd place finishes on the bounce and they wanted him to take a pay cut.
HD were in dire straights before covid.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

That actually looks like a motorcycle, rather than a cross between a tractor and something weird.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Cousin Jack wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:54 pm That actually looks like a motorcycle, rather than a cross between a tractor and something weird.
But but it's water cooled :silent:
Horse

Post by Horse »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:26 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:13 pm ...which is probably in line with the fall in bike sales courtesy COVID-19. I haven't seen Harley's half-yearly figures but Suzuki posted a big loss last month.

IIRC one of the Fortnine videos covers this in some detail.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Aye, as mentioned Fortnine covered the position that Harley is in a while ago.

That Harley above is the only one I've evan half liked the look of for years, I guess they'll just keep on selling fat low bob rider things and buying shares back to keep the share prices higher then.

Oh, forgot the Livewire, I'd like a bash on one of those.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I thought it was another Ducati monstrosity!! :lol:
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

The local Harley dealer has a Live - wire. It's a really nice looking bike in the flesh (says the man who likes the mantra) but the sound it makes.....NOOOOOOOO.

It came past me whilst I was riding my road bicycle, initially I thought I was being overtaken by a demented milk float. It's horrible. FFS make it sound like a Pod Racer or Tie Fighter from Star Wars, anything but that bloody milk float noise.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Can't be any worse than the slack arse wet fart noise the rest make though.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:26 pm HD were in dire straights before covid.
They want money for nothing and their kicks for free?
Honda Owner
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:20 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:26 pm HD were in dire straights before covid.
They want money for nothing and their kicks for free?
Those guys ain’t dumb.
The Spin Doctor

Skub wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:19 pm Dovi actually did take a pay cut in recognition of the strain all companies currently experience. According to his manager the fall out with Ducati wasn't to do with money,rather Dovi felt he wasn't valued as a rider. With regard to the new contract,Ducati management prevaricated so long,that Dovi lost patience. Money was never discussed.
He took a pay cut BEFORE contract negotiations?

Obviously more than one side to every story!
The Spin Doctor

Indeed. But that's what the PREVIOUS business plan was supposed to sort by launching new models which would appeal to new markets.

Now the situation is even worse, hence the ditching of the Bronx and the 'return to core values'... again.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:22 pm
Indeed. But that's what the PREVIOUS business plan was supposed to sort by launching new models which would appeal to new markets.

Now the situation is even worse, hence the ditching of the Bronx and the 'return to core values'... again.
Would it even have sold if produced? I'm 100% sure there's an equivalent Japanese bike that would be 1000s cheaper.

Harleys are stupidly priced for what they are, take my lad's Sportster. Over 6k for a bike that has broken down twice in the month or so he has ridden it and would be comprehensively out performed by any 650cc Japanese custom on the market today. A quick shifty at the local HD dealers website shows that pretty much everything used is the sort of money that would buy something Japanese and new.

The core values are all wrong, apart from my lad and a couple of local hipsters posing about on 883s, every HD rider I've seen recently has been older than me and I'm closer now to 50 than 40. Young people who ride bikes just don't want slow, overpriced bikes, the people that like Harleys don't actually ride the bloody things or old guys like me who have already bought their 'last" bikes and won't be buying new again.
"Does this bus go to the Titanic?"

"No missus, It's a submarine you need....."
Skub

Post by Skub »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:20 pm He took a pay cut BEFORE contract negotiations?
Obviously more than one side to every story!
Yep. According to his manager,Dovi was happy to take less money to help ease some of the strain on Ducati's resources,which were suffering like so many other businesses,due to Covid. This wasn't part of any contract discussions,just an act of goodwill on Dovi's part.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:44 am The local Harley dealer has a Live - wire. It's a really nice looking bike in the flesh (says the man who likes the mantra) but the sound it makes.....NOOOOOOOO.

It came past me whilst I was riding my road bicycle, initially I thought I was being overtaken by a demented milk float. It's horrible. FFS make it sound like a Pod Racer or Tie Fighter from Star Wars, anything but that bloody milk float noise.
There is quite a lot of work going on to make electric vehicles "sound right". There's also a lot of talk about making them intentionally louder at low speed and about what sound they should actually make.

Totally agree though, you could make them sound like a Tie Fighter or the light bikes from Tron or something. That's part of what is yet to come in electric vehicles though.