Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
gremlin

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by gremlin »

Jody wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 3:11 pm

:thumbdown: :o :thumbdown:

This is going to be expensive, particularly as the engine is making a "snick Snick" noise
I'm thinking the word 'insignificant' may not be particularly apt in this instance. :o
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Sat in the passenger seat with the Gremlinette practicing her driving, two L plates on the back of the car. She's doing 30mph on a 30mph road. Jaguar F Pace comes racing up, sits maybe a meter from the back bumper for a few kilometers. What the fuck is wrong with people?

FFS. :roll:
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Stolen off a ZH2 forum, apparently KTM has some unfortunate acronyms that in Germany translates as “Not a single kilometre” and in Austrian “Kick a thousand times”.

The irony of this is that these comments came up on a thread detailing the woes some people are having with ZH2 Motors, crankcase pressuring and dumping oil into the air box and catch tank……..
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

gremlin wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:59 pm Sat in the passenger seat with the Gremlinette practicing her driving, two L plates on the back of the car. She's doing 30mph on a 30mph road. Jaguar F Pace comes racing up, sits maybe a meter from the back bumper for a few kilometers. What the fuck is wrong with people?

short answer: The because the higher driving position in an SUV allows drivers to see further ahead, they tend to lose focus on what's right in front of them - not consciously though - it's like if you're walking down the street you won't actually be paying attention to what's 1 foot in front of you if you're looking at what's 50 feet in front of you.

(or - in the case of HGV drivers - same issue, even higher driving position - ignore what's right in front of them completely).
non quod, sed quomodo
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Rockburner wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:18 pm
gremlin wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:59 pm Sat in the passenger seat with the Gremlinette practicing her driving, two L plates on the back of the car. She's doing 30mph on a 30mph road. Jaguar F Pace comes racing up, sits maybe a meter from the back bumper for a few kilometers. What the fuck is wrong with people?

short answer: The because the higher driving position in an SUV allows drivers to see further ahead, they tend to lose focus on what's right in front of them - not consciously though - it's like if you're walking down the street you won't actually be paying attention to what's 1 foot in front of you if you're looking at what's 50 feet in front of you.

(or - in the case of HGV drivers - same issue, even higher driving position - ignore what's right in front of them completely).
I'd like to think it was something other than twattish driving, but experience tells me otherwise. Mrs. G sticks rigidly to speed limits (in the CRV, so not a small vehicle by any standards), as, arguably, you should. I've been in the car with her when people tailgate, flash headlights, sound horn etc.

I've been driving the little Audi around the last week, trying to get used to sticking to the limits as it's having a blackbox fitted tomorrow and I don't want to be the one responsible for the Gremlinette getting any arsey letters from the insurance people. I've had people a few feet from the back bumper as well, among them a double-decker bus, all desperate to hurry up and get to the next set of red lights and wait for me to catch up. :lol:

Gremlinette was telling me that on one of her official lessons, with the instructor in his car, emblazoned with stickers and the roof sign, a woman was in the car behind flashing her lights and gesticulating her displeasure virtually all the way through Sevenoaks, as presumably she wanted to get past. Some people....
Last edited by gremlin on Mon May 30, 2022 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

30 & 40 limit's I'm a proper stickler in the car. I bang the cruise on and watch the traffic queue up behind me.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Yeah. Weirdo. Should be miles.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Yorick wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:05 pm

Only for the over 75s, Gramps.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:55 pm 30 & 40 limit's I'm a proper stickler in the car. I bang the cruise on and watch the traffic queue up behind me.
If I'm in a particularly grumpy mood, I go out just to do that :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:06 pm
Yorick wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:05 pm

Only for the over 75s, Gramps.
That makes my country a modern place, Gramps :obscene-birdiedoublered:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

gremlin wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:53 pm I've been driving the little Audi around the last week, trying to get used to sticking to the limits as it's having a blackbox fitted tomorrow and I don't want to be the one responsible for the Gremlinette getting any arsey letters from the insurance people. I've had people a few feet from the back bumper as well, among them a double-decker bus, all desperate to hurry up and get to the next set of red lights and wait for me to catch up.
Get a 'black box equipped' sticker for the boot
gremlin wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:53 pm Gremlinette was telling me that on one of her official lessons, with the instructor in his car, emblazoned with stickers and the roof sign, a woman was in the car behind flashing her lights and gesticulating her displeasure virtually all the way through Sevenoaks, as presumably she wanted to get past. Some people....
Ahhh, never mind that idea then.
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Amazon, Natwest, or both of them.

Card payment declined, check bank balance, loads of cash in there, put it down to a glitch in the matrix so resubmit the payment, 30 mins later another message saying it has been declined WTF?

Phone Natwest, yes, we declined the payment.
Why?
Have you heard of banking code blah blah blah?
Nope, is there any reason I should have?

Basically, a new online security protocol was introduced in April and Amazon still haven’t updated their T&Cs / Natwest are erring heavily on the side of caution so are blocking payments unless I call Amazon to authorise each and every payment…

WTF?
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Credit or debit?
I only have my NW debit card registered with Amazon and haven't had any problems
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

MrLongbeard wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:14 pm Credit or debit?
I only have my NW debit card registered with Amazon and haven't had any problems
Strictly credit card only for any purchase whether it's online or a physical shop. It gives lots of consumer protection and if it gets cloned it's the credit card companies problem. Using a debit card for anything other than taking money from a hole in the wall is not good practice (in my opinion obvs).
Last edited by Pirahna on Mon May 30, 2022 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I dislike both companies so wouldn't like to guess which is the problem
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

MrLongbeard wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:14 pm Credit or debit?
Debit.

I’ve just spoken to Amazon who are aware of the ‘problem’, are working on ‘updating the system’ but ‘can’t confirm when it will be completed’.

World’s largest online retailer thinks it is above everyone else but has to toe the line (Visa at the start of the year and now UK banking rules…)
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Silly Car wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:53 pm
Basically, a new online security protocol was introduced in April and Amazon still haven’t updated their T&Cs / Natwest are erring heavily on the side of caution so are blocking payments unless I call Amazon to authorise each and every payment…

WTF?
I spoke to my bank recently about a similar issue (not Amazon possibly booking.com?) and they sighed and implied it was still widespread
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

DefTrap wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:28 pm
Silly Car wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:53 pm

WTF?
I spoke to my bank recently about a similar issue (not Amazon possibly booking.com?) and they sighed and implied it was still widespread
My Mastercard has become virtually useless on line recently, declined almost every time. Visa however works fine, although often needs a text and a 1-time code.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Skub

Post by Skub »

Is it a rule when workmen are in your house,they have to splatter piss all over the bowl and the floor?

Do they do that in their own house and just have their bitches wipe it up?

Dirty fuckers.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

gremlin wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:53 pm
I've been driving the little Audi around the last week, trying to get used to sticking to the limits as it's having a blackbox fitted tomorrow and I don't want to be the one responsible for the Gremlinette getting any arsey letters from the insurance people. I've had people a few feet from the back bumper as well, among them a double-decker bus, all desperate to hurry up and get to the next set of red lights and wait for me to catch up. :lol:
Don't underestimate just how hard that is. My lads first year insurance was on a black box policy, he was pretty good with it to be fair but I struggled massively and got more warnings than him - mainly for excessive acceleration and braking!