V4 Streetfighter

Anything you like about motorbikes
Bigjawa

Re: V4 Streetfighter

Post by Bigjawa »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:27 pm One just has to go and see the kinds of cars / bikes in the shop windows in west London to see how true that is. There are a few I've seen where I think "who the fuck is gonna spank 30k on that" but clearly someone does :D
It's like kids over here "buying" Mercs and BMW's hand over fist, it's all on PCP then they get hit with charges when the 3 years are up.
"Does this bus go to the Titanic?"

"No missus, It's a submarine you need....."
Potter

Post by Potter »

So I will amend my statement to say that their target audience are people that think nothing of dropping £25k on a whim.
And people that think nothing of getting into £25k of debt for a vehicle they can't afford.
And people that think nothing of taking it for three years on a payment scheme where they give it back and walk away with nothing afterwards.

Anyway, 'appen it's a really good bike and better than the Panigale - unless it's 100% for the track - and even then most people would probably be faster on the naked bike because it's easier to ride unless you're a WSB rider.

If I was thinking of getting a new bike it would be one of those.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Now I'm fully aware of how the Panigale and Streetfighter V4 engine makes way more power than the old V2s cause it's a more logical layout. And I know the structural benefits of the stressed engine and ally frame make a great deal of sense.

But I can't help but think I prefer the 1100 steel trellis frame version....

Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Bigjawa wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:04 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:27 pm One just has to go and see the kinds of cars / bikes in the shop windows in west London to see how true that is. There are a few I've seen where I think "who the fuck is gonna spank 30k on that" but clearly someone does :D
It's like kids over here "buying" Mercs and BMW's hand over fist, it's all on PCP then they get hit with charges when the 3 years are up.
All my kids and their other halfs have cars on PCP and all newer than any of the stuff on my drive or in the garage. When they all come to visit there ia a collection of 2 year old Audi's and BMW's littering the street. The difference is i own all of mine outright and not paying £XXX a month just to hand it back in 3 years and risk big clause payments or a massive balloon payment
Skub

Post by Skub »

Bigyin wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:56 pm a massive balloon payment
Is that like a huge bellend payment?
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Bigyin wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:56 pm
Bigjawa wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:04 pm
All my kids and their other halfs have cars on PCP and all newer than any of the stuff on my drive or in the garage. When they all come to visit there ia a collection of 2 year old Audi's and BMW's littering the street. The difference is i own all of mine outright and not paying £XXX a month just to hand it back in 3 years and risk big clause payments or a massive balloon payment
You don’t hand it back though, after 2 years or so there’s usually enough equity to drive it in and take another out. We do it with work cars and for £225 a month we’ve always got newish reliable nice cars to use. I’m sure car owning can be done cheaper but for this amount of money a newish car with warranty is a stress free way to drive round. I’d do it my whole working life rather than buying older cars outright and having to repair them and they still depreciate almost as much as a monthly payment.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

You can't stop a vehicle depreciating, so PCP or cash payment you still lose the money. The only extra cost of PCP is the finance charges.

I'm sure Ducati DGAS if you splash the money all at once or you get it on finance. In fact they prefer the latter 'cause they make more money :p
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Skub wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:23 pm Is that like a huge bellend payment?
Only when its you :)
Couchy wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:36 pm
You don’t hand it back though, after 2 years or so there’s usually enough equity to drive it in and take another out. We do it with work cars and for £225 a month we’ve always got newish reliable nice cars to use. I’m sure car owning can be done cheaper but for this amount of money a newish car with warranty is a stress free way to drive round. I’d do it my whole working life rather than buying older cars outright and having to repair them and they still depreciate almost as much as a monthly payment.
I watch the youngsters though worrying about the mileage, complaining about the main dealer service costs they have to adhere to as part of the contract and also any damage as they know they will be hit with charges off the equity for any dents and scrapes. I bought my first Multistrada on a PCP as it let me have a bike i couldnt have afforded normally due to lower monthly payments ...... but i knew when it was time to pay up/hand it back i would have the finances in place to deal with either. As it turned out writing it off in a crash saved me huge penalties as i would have exceeded the mileage by quite a bit (i even specified double what they offered me as annual mileage) and i bought the second one on a PCP as well but paid it off in full a few months later to save on the monthly costs

I can see how it works for many people like yourself and keeps the new car and new bike business floating nicely with large turnover of new models
Potter

Post by Potter »

I fundamentally disagree with the principle of smoke and mirrors finance.

But I can't really be arsed getting into it, I just think it's a great bike that seems to have raised the benchmark of what a great bike should be.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Harry wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:28 am I fundamentally disagree with the principle of smoke and mirrors finance.

But I can't really be arsed getting into it, I just think it's a great bike that seems to have raised the benchmark of what a great bike should be.
It makes sense to ‘rent’ a depreciating asset, it’s a little different if a bike is a toy you intend to keep but even then the discounts offered on PCP can make it cheaper than paying cash and certainly cheaper than straight hp or a loan. I’ve bought bikes on pcp and paid it off after 6 months as it was cheaper. Even if you do pay cash you’re still losing money each month but you don’t see that until the asset goes. But you know all that 👍. If I was starting out on life again I’d pcp a new car and never worry again about repairs, servicing or things like tyres. You can get a new small car for £99 a month it’s a no brainer tbh.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Couchy wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:37 pm
Harry wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:28 am I fundamentally disagree with the principle of smoke and mirrors finance.

It makes sense to ‘rent’ a depreciating asset, it’s a little different if a bike is a toy you intend to keep but even then the discounts offered on PCP can make it cheaper than paying cash and certainly cheaper than straight hp or a loan. I’ve bought bikes on pcp and paid it off after 6 months as it was cheaper. Even if you do pay cash you’re still losing money each month but you don’t see that until the asset goes. But you know all that 👍. If I was starting out on life again I’d pcp a new car and never worry again about repairs, servicing or things like tyres. You can get a new small car for £99 a month it’s a no brainer tbh.
You're looking at it from an end user perspective.
It was a no brainer for people to take sub-prime loans for houses that they couldn't afford with 100% mortgages, they had nothing to lose.

The end user situation on car finance is just one part of a big inverted triangle, behind that are people gambling with money that doesn't exist, so that (in this example) someone without enough money can drive a car that they can't afford.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Harry wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:42 am
Couchy wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:37 pm

You're looking at it from an end user perspective.
It was a no brainer for people to take sub-prime loans for houses that they couldn't afford with 100% mortgages, they had nothing to lose.

The end user situation on car finance is just one part of a big inverted triangle, behind that are people gambling with money that doesn't exist, so that (in this example) someone without enough money can drive a car that they can't afford.
Yup I am only viewing it as an end user, I see the car as a means to work and earn me money so if I can'rent' the car instead of paying out a lump sum then so long as the figures are similar that makes sense. I can see the whole thing may not be aimed at me and the way I use it and looking at the bigger picture it may not be ideal but I'll use it while I can. When I stop work or the finance deals are taken away I'll buy a car, albeit I won't buy one at the same price as leasing I'll spend 1/2 :)
Bikes though I do like to own them as they are toys and not viewed like a car for work
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Oops!

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/recall ... -flywheel/

I guess they must have a different flywheel to the Panigale V4.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

That does show the march of quality progress at Ducati - and the automotive industry in general - though...the fact that they can trace iffy raw material to a particular set of bikes is laudable.

In the (reasonably distant now) past it was only Aerospace, Nuclear and the like who could do that.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:01 pm Oops!

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/recall ... -flywheel/

I guess they must have a different flywheel to the Panigale V4.
Lots of ifs and buts in there.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

It's the Septics. Better safe than sued.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

P.s. it's just as likely they have the same flywheel as the Panigale, but some other aspect of the engine is different (could be as simple as a bracket being somewhere else or even a different colour etc.) and this particular batch of dodgy material only ended up in Stretfighters.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:06 pm That does show the march of quality progress at Ducati - and the automotive industry in general - though...the fact that they can trace iffy raw material to a particular set of bikes is laudable.

In the (reasonably distant now) past it was only Aerospace, Nuclear and the like who could do that.
And only a couple of decades back when Ducati were casting forks with substantial voids leading to catastrophic failure.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Horse wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:10 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:06 pm That does show the march of quality progress at Ducati - and the automotive industry in general - though...the fact that they can trace iffy raw material to a particular set of bikes is laudable.

And only a couple of decades back when Ducati were casting forks with substantial voids leading to catastrophic failure.
BMW managed that a couple of years ago. It's that quality German engineering don't you know :lol:
Claude

Post by Claude »

Mate of mine at work has one. It looks delicious in the flesh!
I’ll get a pic once the office opens again.