Small things that make you smile each day

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Saga Lout

Re: Small things that make you smile each day

Post by Saga Lout »

Home grown sweetcorn. Garden to plate in about 15 minutes.

Very tasty. Mmmmm. :)
Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I've been colouring in with my right hand!! Ok, it is and isn't a small thing!!! But it's made me smile!!! (Apart from the odd bit where I've crossed the line :( )
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Helping people out

Young family arrived today, mum dad and three kids under 7.

The problem is that their reservation starts from tomorrow!!!

BY complete fluke, one of my guests had left early so I had a mobile home available.

I let them have it and didn't even charge them (head office would have said €135!! )

They were so grateful, it was nice to be able to turn their day around.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Granddaughters dry sense of humour followed by a deadpan expression.
Works for me anyway.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Essentially a small thing but DAMN I'm happy!!

A friend is riding from the UK through France, Italy and Austria then home. He's going to stop and visit at the end of August, and, if the weather is good and my arm can cope (TBF, it doesn'
t do much anyway!) he's going to take me pillion up to Alpes d'Huez for lunch!!!

I've been grinning for a week at that thought!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

Dunno about every day, but working on my Bonnie and using some of my late father’s tools (particularly when coming across whitworth fasteners rather than A/F) gave me pause for thought
Potter

Post by Potter »

Nidge wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:35 pm Dunno about every day, but working on my Bonnie and using some of my late father’s tools (particularly when coming across whitworth fasteners rather than A/F) gave me pause for thought
That stuff makes me smile as well, part of owning an old bike is the history of it and when I'm riding it I wonder about the people over the years that have also ridden it. If bikes and old tools could talk I'm sure I'd never come out of the garage.
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Took the grandkids to McDonald’s drive through and ordered all the meals.

Why’s that great you might ask?

For most of my adult life I had a crippling stammer which pretty much screwed up my life.

I’d had speech therapy off and on over the years but nothing worked.

Then about 5 years ago I went on a 2 week course at the City Lit which was like a light switch being turned on in my head.

I’ve no idea why that particular course worked when nothing had before. It wasn’t anything particularly radical.

I’d always known it was all in my head but telling your vocal chords that isn’t easy.

Anyway, long story short I’m 99% cured (still a few words I avoid) and to be able to talk fluently, hold a normal conversation is still cause to make me smile.
melons

Post by melons »

better late than never :thumbup:
2020-08-10.png
2020-08-10.png (224.8 KiB) Viewed 1617 times
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

spreading jam and butter on my slices of baguette this morning with my right hand!!! :clap: :clap: I've managed soft cheese onto a fairly solid biscuit but mostly hold the biscotte in my right and spread with my left

Well chuffed :D

Also managed more movements in physio :D :D Not enough to move my arm on my own, but enough to be progress!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Harry wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:44 am If bikes and old tools could talk I'm sure I'd never come out of the garage.
To be honest, I doubt you'd get out of the secure mental unit either, if you were having animated conversations with inanimate objects. :D
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Potter

Post by Potter »

gremlin wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:37 pm
Harry wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:44 am If bikes and old tools could talk I'm sure I'd never come out of the garage.
To be honest, I doubt you'd get out of the secure mental unit either, if you were having animated conversations with inanimate objects. :D
Reminds me of one of the letters in an old Viz comic I read - it said something like 'Who's bright idea was it to give inanimate objects voices? Just the other day the ATM machine asked me to enter my pin, my satnav gives me verbal instructions instead of a map, my car announced it was due a service...and my bedside table lamp keeps telling me to go out and kill women'.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Harry wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:08 pm ...and my bedside table lamp keeps telling me to go out and kill women'.
You have this lamp too... :shock:
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

Not a small thing I suppose...

Reading an e-mail from a dear friend. She had her last chemo session yesterday:

Yesterday was my last chemo session...they made me recite a poem and then ring a huge bell 3 times. Then I got a beautiful Certificate of Merit and Appreciation that all the nurses signed. Then when I went out to reception I got a standing ovation from about 20 people (nurses and patients) cause I came out dancing around with my arms up holding the certificate saying "Thank you, thank you very much"...the more clapping and cheering I got the goofier I got dancing and twirling with my arms over my head....it was wonderful!
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

1888 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:18 pm
Bwana wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:28 pm Not a small thing I suppose...

Reading an e-mail from a dear friend. She had her last chemo session yesterday:

Yesterday was my last chemo session...they made me recite a poem and then ring a huge bell 3 times. Then I got a beautiful Certificate of Merit and Appreciation that all the nurses signed. Then when I went out to reception I got a standing ovation from about 20 people (nurses and patients) cause I came out dancing around with my arms up holding the certificate saying "Thank you, thank you very much"...the more clapping and cheering I got the goofier I got dancing and twirling with my arms over my head....it was wonderful!

Must feel like being re born. Good luck to her
She's a rock solid person. I rank her as one of the best people I know in terms of character, honesty, and all round decency. She rode her bicycle to every chemo session except one (maybe the last one too). That was due to the high temps that DC has been experiencing. IIRC she's 63 years old.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Out for a run in my local woods with Mrs. G and the dog when we disturbed a deer. It leapt across the track we were running with almost complete silence.
Mind you, within a second the dog was giving chase noisily and the deer was last seen disappearing into the undergrowth with an excited Border Collie in hot pursuit.
Called her back and, to my surprise, she did actually come to heel, looking very pleased with herself.
Wasn't a Muntjack, so must have been a roe deer, I reckon. Never seen one in those woods before, but a nice surprise.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I've seen deer a few times in the park by my house....I live in Suburban MK two minutes from the M1 and 5 minutes from the city centre!

It always surprises me that they live so happily in such an urban environment. Apparently they breed here and there is quite a population.
636mick

Post by 636mick »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:12 pm I've seen deer a few times in the park by my house....I live in Suburban MK two minutes from the M1 and 5 minutes from the city centre!

It always surprises me that they live so happily in such an urban environment. Apparently they breed here and there is quite a population.
We occasionally get them wandering onto the M1, especially in the roadworks. They are normally long gone when we get there. Always think they are beautiful creatures whenever I see them.
Mick
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

There aren't many laughs when it comes to dementia, but the MIL gave me a chuckle (and vice-versa) yesterday. My wife put on our wedding DVD yesterday afternoon, from when we got married in Jamaica 23 years ago. MIL was watching it, getting really involved and obviously enjoying the memories, talking about how we all climbed up Dunn's River Falls, drinking competitions, etc., when she turns to me and asks, 'Did you go?'
I looked at her and replied, 'I should fecking well hope so, I married your daughter! Remember?!'
There was a second of the cogs turning and she realised what she'd just said, then laughed and looked very sheepish.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Late FiL had dementia.

Told some wild tales about goings on in the home, such as when the spies got them all out of bed to be interrogated. Filly checked with the staff, nothing unusual had happened.

Or the time when the donkey had been wandering around the home. That did happen :) Filly walked out through the entrance hall, there was a photo of FiL, with donkey!
Even bland can be a type of character :wave: