Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:02 am El Pirata of Mayfair is nice if you want some 'London' tapas :)
24hr Tapas. Only £15 a plate!

https://duckandwaffle.com
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Yorick wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:13 am
Count Steer wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:22 am
Jody wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:05 am

Depends where you are tbh

In London, it's 4 olives for £12

In Spain it's a plate of olives for 50 cent
Didn't a lot of Spanish bars start off offering free nibbles/tapas (often salty things) to encourage people to use that bar and drink a little more because the money was made on drinks?

I've heard about that on the mainland but never seen it here.
Probably only happens in small places now, if at all. ie in villages with a couple of competing bars. There was also some story (possibly apocryphal) that the little plates were the right size to sit on top of your glass to keep flies? dust? out of your drink.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Jody wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:05 am

Depends where you are tbh

In London, it's 4 olives for £12

In Spain it's a plate of olives for 50 cent
Didn't a lot of Spanish bars start off offering free nibbles/tapas (often salty things) to encourage people to use that bar and drink a little more because the money was made on drinks?

It's a thing in Andalucia for sure.... Every drink you get a plate.... sometimes it's a meat based, sometimes some potatos, etc... usually it's tasty and after 5-6 drinks you're more than stuffed...
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Count Steer wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:35 am

Probably only happens in small places now, if at all. ie in villages with a couple of competing bars. There was also some story (possibly apocryphal) that the little plates were the right size to sit on top of your glass to keep flies? dust? out of your drink.
Yeah, I've heard that.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:41 am

It's a thing in Andalucia for sure.... Every drink you get a plate.... sometimes it's a meat based, sometimes some potatos, etc... usually it's tasty and after 5-6 drinks you're more than stuffed...
And pissed :obscene-birdiedoublered:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

When you fill up the bike, which when costing £27.50 boils my piss a bit anyway, then go to pay and there's a woman in front with a basket of shopping, who then hands over some scratch cards to redeem, which she then fannies about deciding which new ones to buy with the winnings, then, after all that piss arsing about, asks for a cappuccino when he's the only one behind the counter.

And this is why I use Pay-at-Pump whenever posible.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:19 am When you fill up the bike, which when costing £27.50 boils my piss a bit anyway, then go to pay and there's a woman in front with a basket of shopping, who then hands over some scratch cards to redeem, which she then fannies about deciding which new ones to buy with the winnings, then, after all that piss arsing about, asks for a cappuccino when he's the only one behind the counter.

And this is why I use Pay-at-Pump whenever posible.
That's the best thing about retirement. We've loads of time to piss off annoying folk :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Horse

Post by Horse »

'Journalists'

Massive plumes of smoke from wildfires in New Mexico has been caught on satellite images at the exact same moment a dust storm sweeped across Colorado.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Dealing with Virgin Media.

For the love of God, please.... :cry:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

gremlin wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:21 pm Dealing with Virgin Media.

For the love of God, please.... :cry:
Try spending £3,000,000 with them, the service isn't any better.
Honda Owner
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Coping a £66 cab bill for getting my Daughter home. :roll: The idiot got pissed out of her nut, left a Hen night/party, got lost and couldn't get a local cab to pick her up! Thank God for iPhones and Ubers!
Potter

Post by Potter »

Being asked to provide bank statements to prove I can afford a house before we're even allowed to view it.

I understand this if you make an offer, but I might view it and it's not at all suitable, and then an estate agent has my personal bank statement for no good reason.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Potter wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:23 am Being asked to provide bank statements to prove I can afford a house before we're even allowed to view it.

I understand this if you make an offer, but I might view it and it's not at all suitable, and then an estate agent has my personal bank statement for no good reason.
Personally, I think this kind of financial vetting is a good thing. It saves a lot of people from having their time wasted by dreamers and nosey parkers.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Taipan wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:06 am
Potter wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:23 am Being asked to provide bank statements to prove I can afford a house before we're even allowed to view it.

Personally, I think this kind of financial vetting is a good thing. It saves a lot of people from having their time wasted by dreamers and nosey parkers.
I'd be interested from a GDPR standpoint, it's a poor excuse for estate agents to say they need highly personal information.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Taipan wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:06 am

I get that, but it's laziness, they don't want to meet you and have a chat, they just want to set up an appointment over the phone or online and don't want to do any more work than that. Estate agents charge a fair bit and all they do these days is put an advert on the internet then send out a generic email asking for proof of funds before they can be arsed to do anything.

The money I'll use for the purchase is spread out over a few bank accounts, I'm not sending bank statements for each one just to view a property.
Horse

Post by Horse »

They probably thought that, as a non-uk resident, you'd just got off a dinghy at Folkestone ;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Potter

Post by Potter »

How do they do it in London where every property is north of a million?

We're not talking trillions here, it's three-quarters of a million, to be fair that buys some tidy places in the frozen north but it's hardly drug kingpin crib money, and we haven't decided exactly what we want, so we want to look at a couple of cottages, a couple of new(ish) ones and maybe the odd curveball like a windmill we saw.

I get that people don't want messers but they're putting their house up for viewing, surely they have to accept that some people will be quite undecided and just testing the water. When we've sold we just put up with it, it's hardly the end of the world to show someone around your drum for half an hour.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Estate agents usually want to push as many viewings as possible to make their client think they are doing a good job. I think they will send you through for a viewing no matter how your accounts look and then look for what else they can sell you or who they can sell your details to.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mussels wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:57 am Estate agents usually want to push as many viewings as possible to make their client think they are doing a good job. I think they will send you through for a viewing no matter how your accounts look and then look for what else they can sell you or who they can sell your details to.
I would have thought so, but it's a flat no - "show us your money or you can't view the house", it was as clear as that.

We really like one of the properties, so we're going to do a drive-by and if we still really like it then I might capitulate, but I don't want to on general principle.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Potter wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:38 pm
Mussels wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:57 am Estate agents usually want to push as many viewings as possible to make their client think they are doing a good job. I think they will send you through for a viewing no matter how your accounts look and then look for what else they can sell you or who they can sell your details to.
I would have thought so, but it's a flat no - "show us your money or you can't view the house", it was as clear as that.

We really like one of the properties, so we're going to do a drive-by and if we still really like it then I might capitulate, but I don't want to on general principle.
Knock on the door and try to bypass the estate agent.
Will be interesting to get the owner's view on it all.