Dovi and Ducati

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
KungFooBob

Dovi and Ducati

Post by KungFooBob »

Go their sperate ways at the end of the season, I don't think it anyone finds it unexpected.

weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Dovi and Ducati

Post by weeksy »

Not unexpected but still confuses me. I can only see him getting a worse bike, which even if on the same money or more, still makes no sense to me. At his stage I'd want the best bike, even if no salary
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Tough one I guess. Dovi has been the best rider IF the genius that is Marc weren't around. But he is getting on a bit and if he has no other options where is he gonna go?

From the sounds of it though clearly Ducati don't think he is good enough. Don't know who they think is? Miller, Pecco aren't IMO and everyone else is already signed except Lollypop head.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Ciabatta mentioned Zarco 3 times when interviewed.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Yorick wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:30 pm Ciabatta mentioned Zarco 3 times when interviewed.
Interesting. I like Zarco but not sure if he's better than Dovi. Cheaper maybe?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Supermofo wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:47 pm
Yorick wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:30 pm Ciabatta mentioned Zarco 3 times when interviewed.
Interesting. I like Zarco but not sure if he's better than Dovi. Cheaper maybe?
Cheaper doesn't bring P1/2 in a MotoGP championship often
Skub

Post by Skub »

Ducati don't seem to build great relationships with their MotoGP riders. They lost patience with Jorge and binned him,which must rate as one of their worst decisions as very few riders can be consistent on their machinery. Now they've fallen out with the only rider to be a threat to MM in recent times. :?

Look at the quality of riders who failed to perform on their bike.

Valentino Rossi

Marco Melandri

Nicky Hayden....

They got lucky with Stoner,just as Honda did with MM.

As for Zarco,I'd love to see him do well,he's a hell of a rider,but from what I hear he's also a complicated human being. I have to wonder how he'll get along with the Duc management.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

Hmmmm, I wonder if Marquez Snr will be forced to retire leaving a Repsol seat available.
Has Dovi got any old friends there ?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Watched this, this afternoon. Seems to me Ducati didn't think he has what it takes and Dovi thinks the bike isn't good enough. He's not a do or die rider for sure but still don't know who Ducati think is better.

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

The problem is, to be do or die you need to be in that position to start with, if you're not in the battle it doesn't matter how ballsy you are, you're still not winning.

Dovi has put them in the melting pot more times than anyone in the last 3-4 seasons, if that's underperforming then I'm not sure what else he can do.

I'm not convinced anyone else can do better
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

weeksy wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:07 pm The problem is, to be do or die you need to be in that position to start with, if you're not in the battle it doesn't matter how ballsy you are, you're still not winning.

Dovi has put them in the melting pot more times than anyone in the last 3-4 seasons, if that's underperforming then I'm not sure what else he can do.

Try and watch the documentary. Seemed awkward to me with Ducati not believing in him. I think they are nuts as Dovi is a great rider. Ducati have history for it though.
formula400

Post by formula400 »

Supermofo wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:06 pm Watched this, this afternoon. Seems to me Ducati didn't think he has what it takes and Dovi thinks the bike isn't good enough. He's not a do or die rider for sure but still don't know who Ducati think is better.

what do you mean think??? (nicked this from twitter or along these line)

he was hired to win the Moto GP championship, he's not, 13 wins in 8 odd years, and he's crying about a pay rise, Marc Marquez can but the guy that keeps coming 2nd, not. bit harsh but true.

Show me the person that come 2nd and ill show you the first loser.
CBR650r :mrgreen:
formula400

Post by formula400 »

weeksy wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:07 pm The problem is, to be do or die you need to be in that position to start with, if you're not in the battle it doesn't matter how ballsy you are, you're still not winning.

as a factory maybe coming 2nd is underperforming, Stoner did if for them and they want it again, i think dovi is a good rider, but he has always been up against a rider that was better than him,
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

formula400 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:51 pm

as a factory maybe coming 2nd is underperforming, Stoner did if for them and they want it again, i think dovi is a good rider, but he has always been up against a rider that was better than him,
The problem is Marc IS better than everybody. That is a fact. So by that logic and not knowing Marc was gonna be injured what do Ducati want to do? Sign who? You can't magic up better riders and they've missed the boat on the most promising talent on the grid.

Maybe Ducati shouldn't have pissed Lorenzo off by losing faith in him, or pushed Stoner out the door. Stoner was one of the best riders ever and Ducati basically told him he wasn't good enough and their bike was the reason he won. That worked out well for them.

Also from the interview with his manager this morning (and its only one side) he said money hasn't even been discussed. He implied Ducati wanted to wait another 2 races before even opening proper negotiations and talking money so Dovi has walked with no ride in place as feels they have no faith in him.

Even if Dovi isn't the right man Ducati have made a total hash of this. Is Miller and Zarco/Pecco gonna win them a title?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Supermofo wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:24 am Is Miller and Zarco/Pecco gonna win them a title?
Simple answer is no.... But i'm not convinced Dovi would either. They do need a rethink, but for me, keeping Dovi for another season would have made sense and see if he can help Miller, then bring Bagnia or someone else in as Yamaha did with Quat for example.

I'm still fairly sure that if MM is racing he'll win the title... but with broken bones and him being a bit crashy, other can take their chances as per this year. But at this stage, Dovi hasn't taken his chances this season. That said, if he can get a win and Quat/Vin are outside top 3, then he's right back in the battle... but we'll see how that goes today for him.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

weeksy wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:35 am
Supermofo wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:24 am Is Miller and Zarco/Pecco gonna win them a title?
Simple answer is no.... But i'm not convinced Dovi would either.
Absolutely. But looks to me Ducati have missed the boat on Championship contenders then moved on their current best rider. Strange
formula400

Post by formula400 »

There is no guarantee Lorenzo would of got Ducati a world title, stoner nearly did and he missed a lot of that season. Who else have they passed by???

Yamaha have stuck with Mavrick and yes he has won a few races has not and I can’t see him doing much else. (So sticking with riders some times in not the answer)

Dovi has been on a Repsol Honda and now a Ducati, if he wins the title this year say what you like but it will always because Marc banged him self up and did not challenge Dovi. I know you have to be in it to win it but who cares. To be the best you have to beat the best.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

formula400 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:58 am There is no guarantee Lorenzo would of got Ducati a world title, stoner nearly did
You've said a lot lately about racing that's baffled me. But surely you remember Stoner winning the championship on a Ducati ?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Yorick wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:24 pm
formula400 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:58 am There is no guarantee Lorenzo would of got Ducati a world title, stoner nearly did
You've said a lot lately about racing that's baffled me. But surely you remember Stoner winning the championship on a Ducati ?
Twice.