Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Count Steer

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Count Steer »

Horse wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:25 pm Would a divorce be easier and cheaper? ;)
:lol: It's not the £ with the house stuff, it's the hassle of having it invaded by decorators etc. My approach is like cars, buy house, use it until it's a bit tatty, sell it and buy another in better nick. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Ungrateful gits :(

All our guests in our appt get a superb 4WD tour to places that nobody else goes. Most folk love it and mention it in the reviews.

Current folk are a bit strange so tried extra hard to make it a 4 hour mega tour.
When we were nearly home, they asked me to drop them in town. Barely a smile as they got out and wandered off. Even 14 year old lad ignored me.
That trip would be €200 ish if they had to pay.

Hmm.

A few weeks ago I took out 2 young Dutch girls and they bought me a case of beer as thankyou.

They're here for another week yet, but won't bother pampering them anymore.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:12 pm
:lol: It's not the £ with the house stuff, it's the hassle of having it invaded by decorators etc. My approach is like cars, buy house, use it until it's a bit tatty, sell it and buy another in better nick. :D
My sentiments exactly! Plus Mrs CJ is NEVER happy with the 'professional' tradesman and I usually have to sand something down and re-finish it to her standards. Or finish the job if the aforesaid 'professional' walks off in a huff because his idea of quality is not what she wants! We moved into a brand new house a while back, and I had to repaint every square inch of gloss, and at several walls of emulsion.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:49 pm
My sentiments exactly! Plus Mrs CJ is NEVER happy with the 'professional' tradesman and I usually have to sand something down and re-finish it to her standards. Or finish the job if the aforesaid 'professional' walks off in a huff because his idea of quality is not what she wants! We moved into a brand new house a while back, and I had to repaint every square inch of gloss, and at several walls of emulsion.
I'd have given her the underside of a new patio to look at.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

weeksy wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:06 pm
She would complain that the slabs weren't level.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:17 pm
She would complain that the slabs weren't level.
:D

My neighbour's would wait until the patio was finished then say that colour of the sandstone isn't right. (Yes, it actually happened!).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:49 pm
I'd have given her the paintbrush and said "show me how you want it done" ..... show me some more, again please..... well you've all but finished it now, so you should crack on and get it done. But getting move on, I'm getting hungry :P
Jody

Post by Jody »

Silly one
I just went to one of the local bars as I'd noticed a while ago they have branded coffee mugs for sale and I quite fancied one.

Fifteen bloody euros!!! 15...fifteen euros for a ceramic mug :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: .

Ironic one
I ordered a Nintendo switch a few days ago, a day or so later I ordered the "pro" controller. Guess which one has arrived first ?

The one that kinda does BMP
My phone. I've fallen into the habit of checking my phone all the time, even if it hasn't made a sound or been out of earshot, I still find myself checking it......... because sometimes, I have missed a notification. The phone simply doesn't always bother to notify me. I'm starting to think that it's a ploy by the phone companies to trick you into looking at your phone more often. If every time I checked my phone when it hadn't beeped, there was nothing I had missed. It would be easy to break the habit of checking it all the time :(
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I'm so so soooooo tired, but totally struggling to sleep. Started the other day when I managed to make it up to the bed to try and sleep properly in a bed after 5 weeks at home and on a sort of bench sofa :( I've reduced my coffee intake, although I don't drink it in the afternoon anyway. Today I've had one coffee, that's it!! (I normally only have two!)

Anyway - I'm back on the bastard sofa bench thingy cos I'm too tired to navigate getting up and down the step ladder to the bed; here's hoping I can sleep better tonight, bored of being tired :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Jody

Post by Jody »

Delivery company

"We can't deliver there, your address doesn't exist"

its a 12 storey building with over 200 apartments !!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

FFS - just phoned the rehab centre I'm trying to get to (need to get a place before 22nd April to start the rehab of my knee) and, no record of the request from my GP :angry-cussingblack:

So, looks like a hike across to the Med Centre after lunch to go talk to him and get him to call the rehab centre. :(

I am certain I can get a place elsewhere, but would prefer to go to one I know and that is close to the shoulder surgeon (have an appointment with her at the beginning of May). It's now two weeks since I asked the med centre to request the place and I still don't have one. Stress levels back up :cry: :cry: :cry:

Worse, my physio leaves at the end of the week, and the other physio leaves at the end of next week :( :( :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

This BMP daily. Fair play to him for stopping the twat.

Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Taipan wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:11 pm This BMP daily. Fair play to him for stopping the twat.
using his whole lane
Don't you understand, cyclist are ENTITLED!

As a pedestrian, cyclist, motorcyclist and driver I would rate cyclists as being the worst for criticizing others whilst breaking all the rules when it suits them. Yes peds can be pillocks, yes motorcyclists can be stupid, and drivers are just as bad, but modern cyclists are almost invariably sanctimonious twats. I met one today, narrow road in town and he was insisting on taking up his whole lane at about 5 mph with a queue of about 10 cars behind him. Move over? Speed up a bit? No, he was exercising his rights.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I'm a cyclist. I don't see a lot of this kind of behaviour from cyclists round here, but in London, there is an ever-growing group of aggressive wankers riding bikes. You really need to double take when on any type of crossing where its green to cross for you but they're on a red light!!
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Taipan wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:11 pm This BMP daily. Fair play to him for stopping the twat.

Watch the clip again if you think the cyclist is at fault.

The cyclist was doing what he's supposed to do, i.e. give way to the pedestrian. He's aiming for the gap behind the pedestrian..
The pedestrian stops and moves back into the cyclist's path. The pedestrian is the cause of the altercation.

Some people think vehicles are supposed to stop at pedestrian crossings. They're not, they're supposed to give way.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

I've worked out what's been giving me a low level niggling "something not right" feeling about rail tickets:

"Valid via any permitted route"

In other words: "Valid where it's valid". :roll:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Saga Lout wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:03 pm I've worked out what's been giving me a low level niggling "something not right" feeling about rail tickets:

"Valid via any permitted route"

In other words: "Valid where it's valid". :roll:
I have a similar thing about Masterchef and similar cooking programmes.

"The secret is to cook it not too much and not too little".

That is true of ALL cooking, pretty much by definition. And indeed almost any other activity you care to partake in.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Taipan wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:11 pm
Meh. There's a similar number of blind or uncaring pedestrians stepping out into the road, safe in the knowledge that everyone else is wrong.

I can't see much harm in this one, there was plenty of control, cyclist still stopped in time, he wasn't going that fast anyway. I don't see the point, it's keeping the flow moving if anything. Imagine how long you'd have to wait on a busy day at a proper zebra for the crossing to completely clear.

You should try "crossing culture" over here, fecking nightmare. You can cross on a pelican type which is green lighted, and often the traffic is still green lit the other way. Like a game of frogger.
Last edited by DefTrap on Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Saga Lout wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:59 pm

Watch the clip again if you think the cyclist is at fault.

The cyclist was doing what he's supposed to do, i.e. give way to the pedestrian. He's aiming for the gap behind the pedestrian..
The pedestrian stops and moves back into the cyclist's path. The pedestrian is the cause of the altercation.

Some people think vehicles are supposed to stop at pedestrian crossings. They're not, they're supposed to give way.

Oh stop it SL. A pedestrian on a crossing is allowed to change their mind and turn back from their original path.

This is what the pedestrian did in that clip and the cyclist clearly failed to give way. There is no rule that the pedestrian must only go in one direction.

The cyclist was wrong under Rule 195 of the HWC and in the spirit of the law. But then, he's a cyclist so is by definition, ignorant of the law.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

This doesn't wind me up (very little does) but I guess amuses me.

I'm talking about stupid instructions. There are a few, one was familiar if you are a lover of Marmite - "spread thinly on toast". How fucking ridiculous is that? :D

The one that amused me today was "Do not block the aisle while putting your hand luggage in the overhead bins."

Planes are designed to require you to block the aisle ffs. :thumbup: