New lids, petrol stations, corona masks...

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
Frosty

New lids, petrol stations, corona masks...

Post by Frosty »

Hi there, glad to see this community still going!

IN COVID times, are people finding they are still having to remove full face helmets to go inside petrol stations and pay? Is removing helmets still a thing, given we are required to put on a mask inside the petrol station?

Background:
I need a new lid after a long lay off from riding and am weighing up whether there's any point in a flip front like I used to have. Years ago I used to comute daily in London, tour and am a glasses wearer so a flip front was a revelation. These days it will be infrequent sunny weekend rides and maybe the occasional short tour, if I can get a pass from the wife and young child.

Always been very much a Shoei head shape and love the fit / quality. Weighting up the NXR with a dark visor and the Neotech 2. Not sure it's worth the extra £100 for the flip, especially if I'll have to take it off to stick on a mask at petrol stations anyway.

Tried a Schuberth C3 Pro (bad fit for me). Shame, as it seemed nice quality for the price. Caberg Duke 2 gets good reviews and is much less money but just seems very plasticky, not tried one but interested in any opinions.
Dodgy69

Re: New lids, petrol stations, corona masks...

Post by Dodgy69 »

Wear mine all the time now, just so easy at fill ups. Even if pay at pump, it's easier.

Shark evo one 2.
Yamaha rocket 3
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Ok so I've only been riding for 19 years, which is but a fart in time compared to some of the grizzled old timers on here, however, I can not recall ever being asked to remove my lid to fill up or pay, not ever, not once.

I haven't been riding since the mask thing became compulsory, not sure how I'm going to handle that to be frank.
Horse

Post by Horse »

MrLongbeard wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:49 am Ok so I've only been riding for 19 years, which is but a fart in time compared to some of the grizzled old timers on here, however, I can not recall ever being asked to remove my lid to fill up or pay, not ever, not once.

I haven't been riding since the mask thing became compulsory, not sure how I'm going to handle that to be frank.
For years, I've rarely used pumps other than 'pay at'.

But Tesco did object to me walking around the main shop, with a helmet on. I was told it was 'illegal'. I asked whether the problem for them was that the CCTV couldn't see my face? Flip front lid, open.

But, for an easy life, I took it off when going in the shop, leaving it with customer services to look after.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Twice this week i've gone in to pay for petrol with helmet and dark visor, no issues.

I generally use 'pay at the pump' if possible. But wasn't possible on these 2 times.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I had a great argument in a Tesco filling station years back when they 'refused my payment' because I still had my lid on.
They caught me on a grumpy day - it was cold and raining - normally I would have just complied.
It was all "I'm not serving you, it's 'policy'" and then immediately calling the manager in.
The manager turned out to be a tiny little lady, who leapt straight to playing her Joker, and accused me of swearing at her. I didn't, I reminded her that I said it was the policy that was "fucking retarded".
In the end some of the other customers started to back me up, so dwarfy gave in and I paid and left

But generally I'm not the militant biker type. This is a golden age for biking - half decent bikes, decent roads, I can afford petrol. Not much to complain about.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Horse wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:57 am
For years, I've rarely used pumps other than 'pay at'.
For some reason my card has never worked in P@P's, I really should get on and get it sorted given these times we are in and all that.
Horse

Post by Horse »

weeksy wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:36 pm Twice this week i've gone in to pay for petrol with helmet and dark visor, no issues.
I can understand that staff might be intimidated by helmeted people storming into the building. Someone said that, for any staff who had faced raiders, helmets could be traumatising.

Fair enough.

But would a potential raider park at the pump, stroll across, get in the queue to pay, etc.?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I've been riding since 1996 I don't think I ever been asked to take my lid off.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I had the opposite issue the other week. Forgot mask, no pay at pump, so I gesticulated to the cashier if I should put the helmet on before coming in. Got the thumbs up, went in and paid.

It was a beautiful moment we'll both treasure for the rest of our days.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:34 pm I had the opposite issue the other week. Forgot mask, no pay at pump, so I gesticulated to the cashier if I should put the helmet on before coming in. Got the thumbs up, went in and paid.

Was probably coz she thought you is well ugly, innit :)
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Yorick wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:59 pm
I'm fahking gorgeous, me.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:30 pm
And deluded. Should have gone to Specsavers.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

gremlin wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:34 pm I had the opposite issue the other week. Forgot mask, no pay at pump, so I gesticulated to the cashier if I should put the helmet on before coming in. Got the thumbs up, went in and paid.

Ha! This is the scenario I was hoping for.

After getting the Daytona running, buying new hoops, gloves and lid, plus some of these new fangled biking jeans I think I'll save the £100 and go with the full face. Every little helps!
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Got refused petrol until I took my lid off at Tesco Express in Brighton on the Dyke Road last year. Wouldn't even initialise the pump until I took my lid off. I was on fumes so complied begrudgingly. So I won't be going there again. Currently pay at pump or leave my lid on with visor down and not had any problems elsewhere.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Yorick wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:31 pm
If you keep being mean to me, I won't come around, throw my gang of feral kids into your pool, eat all your pizza and relieve of that cold, refreshing Eurofizz you call beer.

Think on that, young man.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:41 pm
Yorick wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:31 pm

If you keep being mean to me, I won't come around, throw my gang of feral kids into your pool, eat all your pizza and relieve of that cold, refreshing Eurofizz you call beer.

Think on that, young man.
Mevsoorry Guv.

(doffs t'flat cap)
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

MrLongbeard wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:49 am Ok so I've only been riding for 19 years, which is but a fart in time compared to some of the grizzled old timers on here, however, I can not recall ever being asked to remove my lid to fill up or pay, not ever, not once.

One of the major petrol brands has (or recently had) a helmet off policy - there's a sign on every door. Shell, I think.

Is it enforced? Doesn't happen very often... but it does happen, either where there is some jobsworth behind the till, or more usually where they have had ride-off problems with bikes that are stolen or sporting concealed number plates. Once or twice I've been told by tannoy to pay before refuelling. If that happens, I usually get back on and ride away to refuel at the next station.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:21 pm

One of the major petrol brands has (or recently had) a helmet off policy - there's a sign on every door. Shell, I think.

Is it enforced? Doesn't happen very often... but it does happen, either where there is some jobsworth behind the till, or more usually where they have had ride-off problems with bikes that are stolen or sporting concealed number plates. Once or twice I've been told by tannoy to pay before refuelling. If that happens, I usually get back on and ride away to refuel at the next station.
I've done this a couple of times, especially if I'm not really in a rush and I know there's another station closeby.

I've not (like some I've heard of), left the pump on the floor so that the jobsworth has to come out and replace it, that's petty and will only stir up unnecessary ill-feeling - it's no skin of his nose if I don't give the company money, but I'm not out to antagonise the lower paid employees, only their managers.
non quod, sed quomodo
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:21 pm
Shell is helmet on but visor up as a National policy and certainly the last two I have been to.https://motorcycleminds.org/documents/1 ... _V8_JR.pdf

I am however banned from the Morrisons in Chipping Norton for refusing to take my helmet off.
Went in to pay credit card in hand, visor up and a queue of people. got to the till and was asked to take my helmet off. I asked why and they said it was company policy due to drive off/robbery and can't hear what I was saying. I asked if they had had many robberies by people armed with credit cards in fron of a queue of people and did he want me to pay or not but I'm not taking my helmet off. He took my payment and then banned me. Thats was about 10 years ago.
One spot asked me to remove my helmet before they would start the pump so I just went elsewhere, can't remeber if i put the pump back in the holder or not.
About 16 years ago I was asked to remove my helmet going into a BP station near Basildon, which was a bit of a suprise, but it was Basildon :)
So three times in 40 years of riding, I wouldn't say there is a need for a flip front helmet just to make getting petrol easier.