Airbag vests

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
MingtheMerciless

Airbag vests

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Looking at getting one, anybody here got one and if so would they recommend it?
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Horse

Re: Airbag vests

Post by Horse »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:25 pm Looking at getting one, anybody here got one and if so would they recommend it?
@Hot_Air probably knows more about options.

However, choices are based on two technologies:
- tethered; probably cheaper, but slower
- electronic;

Then it's a case of considering what coverage do you want? Neck, chest, kidneys, coccyx, shoulders ...

Then buy outright or subscription scheme.

Finally, biker black or advanced nerd yellow ;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

I have two helite turtle 2 vests for work, one black, one yellow (see post above :D )

It’s important you get the right size as they can ride up a bit if they’re too big. They are more bulky than the electronic ones, however, there’s been more than a few days training where my students don’t have theirs charged, rendering them useless!!

I haven’t needed it yet (fingers crossed) so can’t comment on performance. I find mine comfy enough, when i’m on the move, I don’t really notice its extra size/ weight.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Not you, then? ;)

Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

Not sure how he didn’t slow like the first bike? But, he certainly did well to find a nice soft landing spot ;)
Horse

Post by Horse »

Nordboy wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:18 pm Not sure how he didn’t slow like the first bike? But, he certainly did well to find a nice soft landing spot ;)
Can only imagine that he was to the left, so view of the car obscured.

I saw it when Helite started using it. On a big screen, the car is visible some way (and time) away.
dern

Post by dern »

I've had a helite turtle for a couple of years and it's comfortable enough to wear over a jacket. Leaves more room inside the jack as you don't wear a back protector with it. I haven't crashed in it yet but I like the fact that I don't have to charge it and I can stick in another gas canister if I do crash it. I've not set it off by accident getting off the bike without disconnecting the lanyard as it takes quite a pull. I like the fact that I can wear it over leathers and my textile jacket. The trigger mechanism is easy to service.

I bought mine from a company called love life and ride and he did a demo for me. Normally he would demo it on the customer but I'd ripped all the muscles in one shoulder and I didn't fancy it :)

If you want one and you're happy to buy from them, this link will get you £50 off although it'll also get me £15 just so you know. I promise to spend that on beer though... http://lovelifeandride.refr.cc/markhibbins.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Horse wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:47 pm @Hot_Air probably knows more about options.
I'll talk about electronic airbags because they have deflated in price. I disliked my tethered airbag (it was a hassle, I kept forgetting to clip in, plus electronic systems deploy faster). Here's a starter, and I can add a few more thoughts if time permits. Feel free to ask any questions, as I've tried a couple of systems.

You've several choices. I'll start with airbags integrated into your jacket, but you'll undoubtedly have seen vests you can wear under or over your gear, too. Also, the words "cheap" and "bargain" are relative because these systems are a significant financial investment.
  • Dainese airbag integrated into the jacket: Dainese D-Air Road systems are part of the garment, e.g. the Racing 3 D-Air leather jacket, Carve Master 2 D-Air and Stelvio D-Air textile jackets. These are the least hassle, lightest and – probably – comfiest options. They weigh around the same as a regular jacket with a back protector fitted. Also, Dainese makes firmware updates easy peasy. While these jackets are pricey, several retailers clear stock via eBay (occasional 40-50% reductions crop up). Also, the Stelvio D-Air's launch means you can sometimes find the Carve Master 2 D-Air at a considerable discount. Airbag coverage varies: the Stelvio covers the chest and back. The others cover the chest and neck but include a regular back protector.
  • Alpinestars Tech-Air Street and Tech-Air Race – zipped into the jacket. These were Alpinestars' top of the range systems until it launched the cheaper ("cheap" is relative!) Tech-Air 5. The disadvantage of the Street and Race systems is they must zip into a Tech-Air-compatible jacket. However, the Street and Race systems each have 12 sensors and no reports of false deployments. The Tech-Air 5 has a lower price but only 6 sensors, with reports of the occasional unwanted deployments. Again, bargains can be had (e.g., I have seen the Street for sale at half-price). Airbag coverage is probably the best of any current system (chest, back, the entire ribcage, shoulders). The Race vest also includes a Street mode, so you can switch between them.
  • InMotion airbag integrated into an RST jacket: several RST jackets incorporate the InMotion airbag. Price is a notable advantage – some are even cheaper than buying the InMotion airbag on its own! Airbag coverage is excellent (chest, back, neck), but you lose some safety because the InMotion airbag means you can't zip together your jacket and trousers. (In contrast, Alpinestars and Dainese's airbags don't prevent you from zipping together your jacket and pants, which is safer.)
NB: They all fit differently, so there's no substitute for trying before buying. Weight is a pain if the jacket fits poorly, but I found the weight disappears in a well-fitting jacket.

And eBay is your friend (I found the odd half-price bargain). And a mate bought a brand spanking new Carve Master D-Air jacket for less than the price of the non-airbag version!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

And in about 10 years time, they'll make some that easily fit various different shapes, not just the 'standard' or imagined 'normal'!! :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
dern

Post by dern »

Anything that requires me to keep on top of firmware updates I'll pass on.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

In that case, I guess you'll want a tethered airbag. But for info: the firmware updates vary considerably, and at least one of the electronic systems (the Tech-Air Street) is "fully programmed", likely with no further firmware updates required.

Alpinestars essentially completed its coding for the Street and, I think, the Race systems. So, there's no need to keep on top of firmware (unlike the Tech-Air 5, which still needs updates).

Dainese has firmware updates but makes them easy. They email you if there's an update, usually just a couple of times a year. And updating is a 5-minute job – merely plug the airbag jacket into your computer via a standard C-cable.

However, the InMotion system (like the Tech-Air 5) has frequent firmware updates, which you carry out via your smartphone. Plus, there's a £10 a month fee for the privilege. The upside is the system is less expensive to buy when comparing full RRP.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Horse wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:25 pm
Nordboy wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:18 pm Not sure how he didn’t slow like the first bike? But, he certainly did well to find a nice soft landing spot ;)
Can only imagine that he was to the left, so view of the car obscured.
Riding “in formation,” to look impressive.

And we’re seriously impressed! Haha.
exportman

Post by exportman »

Hi

I have the Helite tethered. Not needed it, but I know people who have and it seems to have stood up quite well.

Pluses
Simple tech easy to use
The back protector and airbag hold you fairly rigid, it was demonstrated on me and inflated it was very snug and the collar supported my helmet protecting my neck.
You wear it over your existing kit so have flexibility depending on the weather
Minuses
Its quite heavy though once on you don't really notice it
You have to remember to tether it, untethering is not an issue you need a good pull to trigger it.
In summer it stops some airflow around my jacket.

I bought is as I don't bounce quite so well as I did 50 years ago
scottyuk

Post by scottyuk »

I have an Ixon vest (couple of years or so) and last year bought an RST one piece. I can move the control unit from one to the other so is very cost effective.

For anyone with an InMotion airbag in a suit of a vest : there's a level two back protector upgrade available now from D30 for £60. Not sure if it's worth it or not as you have the airbags but I've just added them to my gear.
Horse

Post by Horse »

scottyuk wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:28 am... there's a level two back protector upgrade available now from D30
Here as good a place as any.

Dr Chris Hurren, presenting on the Sunny, err Shiny Side Up online event (see link in Spin's thread) mentioned that armour has improved substantially and that it's worth upgrading if yours is over 5 years old.

Also options to improve ventilation too.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Horse wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:36 am Dr Chris Hurren, presenting on the Sunny, err Shiny Side Up online event (see link in Spin's thread) mentioned that armour has improved substantially and that it's worth upgrading if yours is over 5 years old.
I thought Dr Hurren recommended replacing armour every five years because its performance decreases over time. However, Forcefield recommends more frequent replacement for its latest armour.

In contrast, SAS-TEC claims their protectors last unusually long and only require replacement every ten years.

But I’ve no clue about the truth of the replacement matter :?:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Hot_Air wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:49 am
Horse wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:36 am Dr Chris Hurren, presenting on the Sunny, err Shiny Side Up online event (see link in Spin's thread) mentioned that armour has improved substantially and that it's worth upgrading if yours is over 5 years old.
I thought Dr Hurren recommended replacing armour every five years because its performance decreases over time.
I may have misunderstood / misheard / misremembered.

Watch the video and let us know :)
scottyuk

Post by scottyuk »

Horse wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:36 am
scottyuk wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:28 am... there's a level two back protector upgrade available now from D30
Also options to improve ventilation too.
You need the specific one to fit around the In&Motion unit and there's only one choice currently for level 2 and that's only just come out. It is also better for ventilation :thumbup:
20220405_094241 (Medium).jpg
20220405_094241 (Medium).jpg (191.56 KiB) Viewed 725 times
Horse

Post by Horse »

More from the Dr Chris Hurren video:
- they will be testing airbags soon
- no evidence that back protectors stop broken backs - most caused by twisting rather than direct impacts
... but they may reduce other direct impact injuries. Also (and particularly for textiles) can help reduce abrasion issues.
- advice on when to replace helmets, age and damage
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Alpinestars Tech Air 5 purchased off Ebay for £460. Definitely should size up as I'm a medium normally but the fit is very Italian so I went for a Large. Fits well under my old Alpinestars XL jacket with room for deployment.

Had a bit of a moment as the vest wouldn't come out of self check mode until I RTFM and realised that you had to walk around a bit for the sensors to work out what was going on and I'd been standing still. Cretin.

I pulled out the jackets old back protecter and it was a bit shocking how thin and token effort it looked. Jacket is a good few years old so I'd better get a new one.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."