KTM's first MotoGP victory

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
KungFooBob

KTM's first MotoGP victory

Post by KungFooBob »

I've watched the highlights this evening...

How much do we reckon that has to do with Dani Pedrosa?

It's certainly a lot LOT more competitive than last year.

It might have been a One/Two if Pol had stayed on and even Miguel Oliveira was up at the pointy end on the Tech3.
Yorick

Re: KTM's first MotoGP victory

Post by Yorick »

Good question. I've heard noises that little Danny has solved the missing link.

But, and a big but, BB winning his 3rd ever race does need a mega appreciation.
This boy will go far.

When MM comes back, he'll have Fast Frog, BB and maybe Morbi to worry about.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

I did wonder how long it would take for people to give credit for the change in KTM fortune to Pedrosa. The bike he rode at Honda was geared around Marquez style which Dani struggled with. The KTM seems to respond well to both riders on it at the moment but both have a "grab it by the neck" riding style which is more Marquez than Pedrosa hence i assume HRC signing Pol for 2021. Maybe they have found a medium compromise between both styles with their new chassis that rewards a little smoothness but allows a bit of aggression as well compared to the Honda which requires complete aggression
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Mat Oxley wrote a good article this week on it
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... -is-insane

Sounds like KTM are very adaptable too which might be helping as well. Sounds like they are happy to go leftfield (Steel frame, WP suspension, etc) but are able to make changes really fast. Biggest improvement seems to be the frame. Pedrosa must be helping a lot too though. He was a fantastic rider with a lot of experience.

Brad needs a lot of credit too. He seems to have been on the pace for all 3 races just made mistakes as Jerez. He's been really good in Moto3 and 2 and seems to have fitted straight into the big bikes. Again Mat pointed out in other article that Brad is the first rookie into a factory team since Marc and Mav.

On a related note. How fucked are Honda! Apparently this is the first time since 1982 that Honda haven't had a podium in the first 3 races. And they ain't getting one till Marc comes back either I reckon. All their eggs in 1 basket.
Skub

Post by Skub »

KTM have history when it comes to winning. They aren't afraid to throw money at a project,but it's a focussed approach and it appears to work. Aprilia would do well to take a leaf from the KTM book.
Dani's input is bound to have a positive affect,but it's the holistic approach of machine,team and rider that all needs to click.

And yes,Honda are Friar Tucked. They've always put the product ahead of the rider and the prodigious talent of MM has masked the difficulties that 'normal' super fast riders experience when trying to be quick and consistent at all tracks.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I also think people forget how big KTM are. Whilst not compared to the Jap companies they sell a truck ton more than Ducati and Aprilia. Fair do's most are off road bikes and smaller capacity but they aren't cheap. This seems to suggest 325k bike sales (inc Husky 280k without) vs 53k for Ducati and 67k for Triumph. I know it isn't all about bike sales (like Ducati) but it helps as does Red Bull money

https://www.advpulse.com/adv-news/ktm-b ... nd-abroad/