GSXS 1000 - Mofo's Gixxus

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Supermofo

Re: GSXS 1000 - Mofo's Gixxus

Post by Supermofo »

Maybe when it's double digits. It was a feels like temp of 3c yesterday.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Supermofo wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:34 am Currently got the TC set at 3 which is max, whilst it's cold and new/crapish tyres. But I've heard the TC doesn't allow wheelies and instead cuts the power and smashes your nuts into the tank which sounds a bit mean!
If you've got it on 3 you're not going to get anywhere near a wheelie, it'll cut the power if the forks extend too quickly, mine only just wheelies with the TC set on 1, and then it reduces the power before the wheel gets an inch off the ground, and you certainly won't be smashing your nuts into the tank, it reduces the power rather than cutting it.

Try accelerating hard in mildly slippery conditions, it'll accelerate quicker than you think it should, it's also a laugh on gravel.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

In terms of leccy stuff I'm likely to sort my Sat Nav out before heated grips. It sounds like there is a spare switchable connection in the head light mask but I'm presuming I can only use one for that.

Does it make a difference which is best to use the head light connection for? On the 690 I used the head light one for the grips (well Weeksy did) and then a straight connection to the battery under the tank for the Sat Nav. So was gonna follow the same for this, swings and roundabouts over which I use or is one better than the other?
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Bugger. My paddock stand is too narrow for the GSXS. On it's widest setting with one fork on the bobbin the other fork is under the swingarm. So looks like I need a new one.

I do have a cup type which I've not tried yet but assume that won't work on the banana GSXR swingarm.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Just ride the bloody thing
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:47 am Just ride the bloody thing
I am as soon as the call I'm on now finishes :D
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Managed to get out at lunchtime for another 50 or so miles. Now at 106 miles and she's got some dirt on her from the field run off/farm muck on the roads :banana-dance: Was hard to get much of a flow going as fair amount of gravel/shite in the road but fun none the less.

Starting to get a feel for the different handling and tyres starting to feel less knife edge fall over each corner. Still got more chicken strip than KFC though. Rear shock got flummoxed over some ripples at 80 so that might need some adjustment longer term. Current Ave mpg is 49 which isn't bad at running in type speeds. Revving to 7k at the moment and fuel range is suggesting a total range of 170 miles which isn't bad at all.

Really enjoying the bike so far I definitely made the right choice 8-)

Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Put a big foot on the stand and bend it. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Skub

Post by Skub »

Supermofo wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:16 pm Managed to get out at lunchtime for another 50 or so miles. Now at 106 miles and she's got some dirt on her from the field run off/farm muck on the roads :banana-dance: Was hard to get much of a flow going as fair amount of gravel/shite in the road but fun none the less.

Starting to get a feel for the different handling and tyres starting to feel less knife edge fall over each corner. Still got more chicken strip than KFC though. Rear shock got flummoxed over some ripples at 80 so that might need some adjustment longer term. Current Ave mpg is 49 which isn't bad at running in type speeds. Revving to 7k at the moment and fuel range is suggesting a total range of 170 miles which isn't bad at all.

Really enjoying the bike so far I definitely made the right choice 8-)

I bet it takes aaaages to cut your grass.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Skub wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:28 pm I bet it takes aaaages to cut your grass.
Not a patch on the dusting and window cleaning :thumbdown:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Nice ride today, still adjusting from the kids bike and I'm winter rusty so still taking it easy but really enjoyed it. Roads are in a bit of a state and loads of my favs are closed which is pony but soon be able to hoon.

Tyres were warm to the touch but still are lacking feedback so again taking it easy at the moment.

Filled up at 155 miles with 18 miles range apparently which is pretty good. Took £25 to fill with 14 litres of super though. Pants.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Praying this weather holds till Fri as I'm off Fri/Mon/Tuesday. Can see a trip to Maldon or the Suffolk coast on the cards Fri :banana-dance:

Called St Neots Suzuki and seems they should be able to fit me in within a couple of weeks for the first service pending mileage I do this Fri-Tues. Suzuki quote £267! But they reckon it'll be around £160 which is fine. The bloke who answered the phone seemed really sound so set my mind at rest a bit using a dealer I've never used before. They appear to get decent google reviews.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Nice 150 odd miles today. Sacked off Southwold when I got to Clare as my arse needed a break from the seat by then. So stopped and had a coffee, ridden through it a few times but it's a really nice town.

Next stop was Lavenham for some wonky house viewing. Then onto to Krazy Horse for lunch. On the way back got stuck behind a cop car for about 15 miles :obscene-birdiedoublered:

Starting to get into the swing of the handling and the warmer weather helped but still far to much gravel and mud mid corner for my liking. As mentioned whilst I'm loving the bike my arse isn't so keen. I'll def need to stop before fueling. Seems range is a good 160-170+

Today I rode pretty much normally whilst not straying to far up the rev range. A quick wallop to 8k in 2nd saw a bar shimmy or 2 :D Brakes are bedded in nicely now but still not a lot of feel. Gearing for the road is spot on with a nice range of gears you can use depending on your mood but if your lazy it'll happily slap about in 6th. The downside is its a little revy on the motorway with 85ish in 6th at about 6k. Far from terrible but feels a little buzzy. But happy if it means 99% of my riding is with great gearing.

Rethinking a screen as today 80-85 seemed less windy than the Duke with its screen and if I don't get one I
1. Save money
2. It looks better

Still been too lazy to fit the top box and crash bungs. Maybe Sunday if I get the chance.

Some piccys

And some shitbox Suzuki :lol:

Skub

Post by Skub »

I stuck a Bagster seat on mine,now my arse doesn't care how long I'm sitting. About 90 miles on the stock seat and I start to squirm. I was out from 11.30 to about 4.30 today,only stopping for fuel and a few pics,no butt ache at all.

I wasn't fussed on the looks,kinda preferred the stock seat,there's no comparison for punching miles.

"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Supermofo wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:55 pm Nice 150 odd miles today. Sacked off Southwold when I got to Clare as my arse needed a break from the seat by then. So stopped and had a coffee, ridden through it a few times but it's a really nice town.

Next stop was Lavenham for some wonky house viewing. Then onto to Krazy Horse for lunch. On the way back got stuck behind a cop car for about 15 miles :obscene-birdiedoublered:

Starting to get into the swing of the handling and the warmer weather helped but still far to much gravel and mud mid corner for my liking. As mentioned whilst I'm loving the bike my arse isn't so keen. I'll def need to stop before fueling. Seems range is a good 160-170+

Today I rode pretty much normally whilst not straying to far up the rev range. A quick wallop to 8k in 2nd saw a bar shimmy or 2 :D Brakes are bedded in nicely now but still not a lot of feel. Gearing for the road is spot on with a nice range of gears you can use depending on your mood but if your lazy it'll happily slap about in 6th. The downside is its a little revy on the motorway with 85ish in 6th at about 6k. Far from terrible but feels a little buzzy. But happy if it means 99% of my riding is with great gearing.

Rethinking a screen as today 80-85 seemed less windy than the Duke with its screen and if I don't get one I
1. Save money
2. It looks better

Still been too lazy to fit the top box and crash bungs. Maybe Sunday if I get the chance.

Some piccys

And some shitbox Suzuki :lol:

Needs a nice little tail bag for pillion seat, sod the recycling box. 😉
Yamaha rocket 3
Le_Fromage_Grande

The 750 has enough room under the pillion seat for any shit I need to carry

And I feckin hate Lavenham
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Did a short bit of the ride yesterday with my Sat Nav in my pocket talking to my headset which worked OK but not ideal.

Looking at leccy access I reckon I'm gonna sack heated grips off as seems the GSXS has a throttle tube out of Ann Summers with knobbles and ribs everywhere. YouTube fitting videos involve lots of dremeling so not doing that.

So this makes Sat Nav easier as can go straight to the headlight. Anyone know what type of connector this is?

https://www.gsxs1000.org/threads/aux-connectors.41350/

Presume I just put the matching connector on my Sat nav wires and Bob's your uncles mother or something?

Also 150 miles yesterday and really feeling in. So not bike fit.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Looks like a standard 2 pin connector, I've probably got the other half in my box of connectors
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Supermofo wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:27 am Did a short bit of the ride yesterday with my Sat Nav in my pocket talking to my headset which worked OK but not ideal.

Looking at leccy access I reckon I'm gonna sack heated grips off as seems the GSXS has a throttle tube out of Ann Summers with knobbles and ribs everywhere. YouTube fitting videos involve lots of dremeling so not doing that.

So this makes Sat Nav easier as can go straight to the headlight. Anyone know what type of connector this is?

https://www.gsxs1000.org/threads/aux-connectors.41350/

Presume I just put the matching connector on my Sat nav wires and Bob's your uncles mother or something?

Also 150 miles yesterday and really feeling in. So not bike fit.
I used a file. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Rain/cold has stopped play :thumbdown: but I'm now 430 into Gixxus ownership and loving it 8-)

Monday's ride was to Maldon and back via the A1060 from Sawbridgeworth to Chelmsford and then onto Maldon. Haven't been that way in ages and forgotten how good the road is esp on a quiet Monday although it was bloody cold on the way out being only 10C and the further east I got the mist hadn't burned off so I was feeling it by the time I got there. Stopped on the way at the place I got married almost 14 years ago so that was a nice trip down memory lane.

So far I'm really really enjoying the bike. It's proving to be everything I wanted it to be and my main worries about the engine being OTT have yet to be an issue. OK I'm only running it in and I'm sure the devil on my shoulder will emerge at some point but the bike has so much power/torque in the midrange it doesn't feel like you have to be chasing power/revs all the time to enjoy it/make progress. To date I've managed to keep it in double digits but the three digit's do come up fast. Again so far my inner Nigel has me shutting off at that point so we'll see how that goes.

Monday saw me gelling with the bike some more as the corners weren't gravel strewn so I could play a bit more freely than on the B-roads I've been on to date. Keeping the bike boiling a bit more around 8k gives a fantastic noise from the airbox/exhaust it's plenty loud enough for me and it starts howling nicely too. Reminds me of watching twats at Box Hill in the 90's on Gixxers :D The TC light was flashing a fair amount, I've left the TC on 3 mainly as that's what I set it on for the first 3C temp ride and I've not been arsed to change it. It must cut in real early in 3 as the bike is nowhere near breaking traction or hoisting the front so I'm guessing it's sensing the front going slightly light and flashing away. This is mainly winding it on in 2nd. Will drop it to setting 2 when I remember! Or leave it in 3 till I can really feel it kicking in to see what it's like, so far other than the light I can't feel anything. Probably just missing out on it feeling totally batshit when it's off :lol:

Probably going to order the Evotech rad guard today as decided for the moment I don't need a screen and I'm not going through the faff of fitting heated grips with all the messing about on the throttle tube. Still not fitted the top-box or bungs as I'm a lazy git.

Think I'm gonna book the 1st service for near the end of April seeing as the weather's turning and I have weekends booked up for a couple of weeks. But will keep an eye on the weather as only have another 150 miles to go.

Piccy's from Monday here
viewtopic.php?p=152382#p152382