Ukraine, housing a refugee.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Futter

Ukraine, housing a refugee.

Post by Futter »

Would you? Could you? Discussing here at home, we have a spare room, we could offer to someone. Technically two I suppose as it's a small double. We are a bit remote, no busses or public transport but it's a safe place, albeit temporary. Anyone else considering this? I don't know how we'd do it mind you. Anyone know?
KungFooBob

Re: Ukraine, housing a refugee.

Post by KungFooBob »

How odd, the wife and I were discussing this not 10 minutes ago.

We could probably create space and would be willing, but there's a fear that you might end up with some mentalist. You'd want to interview potentials, but then that's kind of counter to the whole idea.

Unless they're fit with loose morals, then sign us up.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

One of our neighbors has just taken 3 cars to his mate who's in Slovenia currently but lives in Ukraine. He's then bringing people back etc.

We don't have space to do so though
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Details being announced tomorrow, as far as I can tell.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... amily-ties
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

If we had space then we'd probably take a mother and child in but I'd be unlikely to let another bloke live in my home.
wull

Post by wull »

Seems to be the general consensus, if I could, I would.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Nope.
If they've shelped half way across Europe they've passed more than a few safe harbours.

If'n they've got family already here then the onus should be on them to give them support
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mussels wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:51 pm If we had space then we'd probably take a mother and child in but I'd be unlikely to let another bloke live in my home.
I don't think the guys are being allowed out ?
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

No I wouldn't
Felix

Post by Felix »

Nope. Was talking to a customer about this on Friday. She is alone in a five bed house but could not cope with children running round her house and thinks after six month she would probably have had enough and want her house back. TBH i would be the same. After an hour i want anyone who visits with kids to piss off now and if the mother in law stays any more than three days i want to shoot her. Sod anyone being here long term
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Felix wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:33 pm Nope. Was talking to a customer about this on Friday. She is alone in a five bed house but could not cope with children running round her house and thinks after six month she would probably have had enough and want her house back. TBH i would be the same. After an hour i want anyone who visits with kids to piss off now and if the mother in law stays any more than three days i want to shoot her. Sod anyone being here long term
In Ukraine she might already have been shot.
Felix

Post by Felix »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:34 pm
Felix wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:33 pm Nope. Was talking to a customer about this on Friday. She is alone in a five bed house but could not cope with children running round her house and thinks after six month she would probably have had enough and want her house back. TBH i would be the same. After an hour i want anyone who visits with kids to piss off now and if the mother in law stays any more than three days i want to shoot her. Sod anyone being here long term
In Ukraine she might already have been shot.
She is close, well closer than us in Istanbul right now sparkled in bed as she just had a face lift. Am i going to rip the piss when she is next up here? You bet.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:19 pm Nope.
If they've shelped half way across Europe they've passed more than a few safe harbours.

If'n they've got family already here then the onus should be on them to give them support
So you think that the couple of countries bordering Ukraine should take all of the refugees? You don’t think it’s fair that all European countries take their fair share in order to spread the load?
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Normally that would be my attitude but I'm not being precious about the EU's failure to secure its borders as this happened on its border and it was the only safe escape route, I think it was right for Poland to let them all in and now they need some help
It's mainly a moot point as most don't want to travel far from Ukraine but if someone here wants to sponsor a family I don't see the problem, it's very different to expecting the state to open all barriers and pay through the nose to house them.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

wheelnut wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:22 pm

So you think that the couple of countries bordering Ukraine should take all of the refugees?
No, I didn't say as such did I..
wheelnut wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:22 pm You don’t think it’s fair that all European countries take their fair share in order to spread the load?
I think it perfectly fair that the burden should be shared, and any refugee should be treated equally under the common european asylum system.
That Europe couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery and can't cope with the everyday refugees and migrants let alone the massive numbers this has caused is on them.

My personal opinion is that the current sitting government has right royally screwed up, Pritti has screwed the pooch and should be removed from office.

We should be opening our borders to Ukrainians in need of shelter, but neither us nor the EU have sufficient robustness in our / their systems to enable this, a giant free for all it should not be.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Groan - honestly I really fear for the human race.
Half the world is in conflict, hundreds of thousands of children starving to death, million dying through illness that could easily be cured, depravation and abuse that would make your hair curl - but only the Ukrainians have triggered this fashionable movement of solidarity - and no one is asking why.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

When there was the massive exodus from Syria, people were closing their borders and doing their best to play pass the Syrian. All of a sudden we have a "let us help Ukraine" movement (and rightly so) but the people in Afghanistan are given a cold shoulder. Racism in refugee status is all to prevalent.

I would like to help a refugee, but do not have the space in my home, I have a vulnerable young teenage daughter as well. So my priorities are elsewhere in this regard, but I am working with the church to enable safe refuge and sanctuary, regardless of religion/race/origin.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

the_priest wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:33 pm When there was the massive exodus from Syria, people were closing their borders and doing their best to play pass the Syrian. All of a sudden we have a "let us help Ukraine" movement (and rightly so) but the people in Afghanistan are given a cold shoulder. Racism in refugee status is all to prevalent.

I would like to help a refugee, but do not have the space in my home, I have a vulnerable young teenage daughter as well. So my priorities are elsewhere in this regard, but I am working with the church to enable safe refuge and sanctuary, regardless of religion/race/origin.
The racism card is incredibly easy to play all the time, look at Pony.
It's lazy though, instead of shouting racist why not look past that a little and consider other reasons people might treat these refugees differently.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Mussels wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:51 pm
the_priest wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:33 pm When there was the massive exodus from Syria, people were closing their borders and doing their best to play pass the Syrian. All of a sudden we have a "let us help Ukraine" movement (and rightly so) but the people in Afghanistan are given a cold shoulder. Racism in refugee status is all to prevalent.

The racism card is incredibly easy to play all the time, look at Pony.
It's lazy though, instead of shouting racist why not look past that a little and consider other reasons people might treat these refugees differently.
You'll have to explain those other reasons.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Meh close-to-home conflict is always going to increase the size of the response.

Pretty sure January 2020 when covid was restricted to pretty much China, nobody in the West could have given less of a shit. Suddenly though it's Italy and the rest of Europe wakes up ....
Now that could be because for some reason the Chinese are this decades easy villain (russia coming up on the rails!), but putting distance between you and the world's horrors is an easy way to forget about it.