Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

What noise did the clutch make?
What noise did the cams make?

ie; rattle, knock or screech etc.

Just asking out of interest.
Trinity765

Re: Selling a bike on finance

Post by Trinity765 »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:20 pm What noise did the clutch make?
What noise did the cams make?

ie; rattle, knock or screech etc.

Just asking out of interest.

The clutch became noisy (rattle/chink) when idling and went quiet when I pulled the lever in. It was never low on oil.

The timing chain adjuster took longer and longer to kick in - before it kicked in there was a rattle. The cams on their way out made a loud and vibrating, rattle/clunking noise - there was no mistaking that it wasn't right and was going to cause further damage.
Lockdown refugee
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Clutch noise like that is usually the shock absorber springs getting tired.
Cam chain tensioner noise could be a tired spring, but some cars have cam chain tensioners that rely on oil pressure, the Triumph engine may have one like this, but it would be unusual in a bike.
You cam noise sounds like a very loose cam chain, maybe a broken tensioner, but could be loose or very worn cam bearings, but that would require a new cylinder head to fix.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Taff wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:02 pm I haven't read the thread about the problems, but the Tiger 800 has pretty much the same engine with a longer stroke and there's very few problems that haven't been fixed.

I'd have no issues at all buying a street trip
30k and a mate's Tiger 8 was puffing clouds of oil when it was warming up. He got it good and hot and chopped it in. That bike was serviced by the book.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:52 pm Clutch noise like that is usually the shock absorber springs getting tired.
Cam chain tensioner noise could be a tired spring, but some cars have cam chain tensioners that rely on oil pressure, the Triumph engine may have one like this, but it would be unusual in a bike.
You cam noise sounds like a very loose cam chain, maybe a broken tensioner, but could be loose or very worn cam bearings, but that would require a new cylinder head to fix.
It's been ok since the last time I got it back in September but to be fair, I've not done many miles since then. I love the Street Triples, they are a lot of fun. Great handling, well balanced, great braking (particularly the 765RS), good suspension and the perfect size and power for me but if this one starts making rough noises again as soon as I start having fun, even though it's looked after, I'm going to be trying something else - there's so many other good bikes out there. I can't imagine getting anything from the MT range though :P
Lockdown refugee
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

890 it is then. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3