Twins - Cornering

Anything you like about motorbikes
Phoenix

Twins - Cornering

Post by Phoenix »

Last night, I was trying to recall all the twin engine motorcycles I’ve owned and specifically which was the best twin configuration at cornering. I’ve had three Ducati’s, a BMW horizontally opposed Boxer twin, a couple of parallel twins and two Moto Guzzis. I came to the conclusion that the best at taking corners was the Ducati - slow in, fast out almost as if it was on rails. Coming up a close second was the Guzzis.

Obviously there are lots of variables that can have an effect; speed, gearing, road surface, expertise and familiarity of rider and so forth.

This now brings me to my main question: Is there an ideal twin set up or configuration which excels at cornering?

I’m sure you must have an opinion based on your years of experience and knowledge.

Oh...One thing I could never get used to was a triple. The ‘busyness’ of the engine was too much!

And now...I’m look at a 2022 Z650. That should be fun. :)
KungFooBob

Re: Twins - Cornering

Post by KungFooBob »

I used to love my Varadero (1000cc v-twin) on alpine hairpins.

Slow in, drop it into the corner to the point it feels you're about to topple off, then crack the throttle open to pull it round and stand it back up.

It wasn't fast, but worked well fully loaded with a pillion on the really tight corners.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

A perfect summary Bob.

All the fours behind me used to get very annoyed. Breaking in hard before the corner which of course made them catch up fast and then letting it rip out of the corner and leaving them behind - lol.

They would forever say: ‘Can’t you go around the corner smoothly like us?’

Oh dear, how boring.

There was this very tall lad on a very tall single pot Honda (sort of an Enduro) that made a bloody racket - no baffles or anything. You could hear him miles away. He flew around every corner. I just let him get miles ahead as I didn’t want deafening.

Where are you now Chris?

:mrgreen:
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

SP2 Honda... absolutely astonishing stability accelerating from a corner. It really did feel like the rear tyre was following a guide rail whilst the front was going a bit floaty.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
G.P

Post by G.P »

I don't think engine configuration dictates whether a bike can corner well or not but a nice torquey V twin allows you to use engine braking to more easily achieve really smooth progress on twisty roads.
My 900ss is the best "cornering" bike I've owned (I've got 2) partly due to the fact they are light, but all the Ducatis i've had have handled really well.
Mind you, my Triumph Tiger 800 handles well for a bike with a 19" front, my VFR handled nicely despite its weight......
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I didn't like the handling of the Ducati 900SS I tried, I found it very slow steering, which only goes to show different bikes suit different people.
IanB

Post by IanB »

My old BMW R1200s had a little trick up its sleeve in the form of the excessive torque reaction of the engine when you rev it, especially on track. Right handers, no problem she dropped onto her side in an instant. Left handers, different story!
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Don't worry about all that what engine has it got bollocks, just gan it reet over. :thumbup:
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

I’d say a lot of it is how the weight is distributed.

My GS 1200 tipped into corners way better than any bike of similar weight I’ve ever owned.
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

Having had the dubious pleasure of tweaking lots of things on the Tracer and noting the handling differences, I'd say there are probably a lot more factors than engine type that influence handling. But I know that wasn't your question. And since the only twins I've ridden have been parallels I'm not qualified to answer.
dosruedas

Post by dosruedas »

I have ridden bikes from singles to 6 cylinders and I seriously doubt that the number of cylinders had anything to do with the handling, or if it did, it was accounted for in the rest of the design. I think frame geometry, (Head angle, fork rake, trail, steering flop etc.) are much more important.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

The CP2 cross plane twin in my MT-07 is incredible. I stomped out of a corner ahead of a 996SPS and a Sp2, probably...
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:26 am The CP2 cross plane twin in my MT-07 is incredible. I stomped out of a corner ahead of a 996SPS and a Sp2, probably...
Were they parked up ?