100%
Contimotions
No votes

Total votes: 1

Deadpool2

Tire Adv - 790 Duke Avon Storm 3DXM / Angel ST v conti Motion

Post by Deadpool2 »

I would appreciate some tire advice.

As above for KTM 790 Duke. OEM tires are gone within 2.5k miles (well the rear is and the front is free to who wants it).

I don't really want to get the Pilot Road 5s as I am not sure I am keeping the bike post March next year (warranty runs out and the list of faults these bikes seem to have is staggering).

The option for new tires is the
1. Avon Storm 3d X
2. Avon Angel ST
3. Continental Contimotions

They are all about the same price. Bike is used for leisure (weekend riding and some longer tours in the UK). I suspect will do about 3-4k miles in the next 8 months maximum. Not very quick but I do like to get a move on and ride in all weathers.

If anyone knows a decent fitter in the South Bucks area that would helpful as well.

thanks
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Tire Adv - 790 Duke Avon Storm 3DXM / Angel ST v conti Motion

Post by weeksy »

Hmmm they're about as good/bad as eachother i'd think and there's very rarely a bad tyre... but for a 790 Duke they're not exactly 'common' in terms of tyre choice. I was really happy with M7RRs and to be honest i thought the Maxxis were pretty decent.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Not used either of the Avons but I've been running Conti Motions for the last decade plus... which means they're not the most modern tyre, but I don't honestly think that's an issue.

They are a good sport touring tyre, good grip in the wet, plenty for getting on with it in the dry, and even up to a modestly rapid track day so long as the surface isn't too hot when they tend to overheat and slither around on the throttle - they were perfect around Cadwell Park on a Martin Hopp day back in September.

I get around 8k from a pair, and they remain fairly stable as they wear.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
scottyuk

Post by scottyuk »

I've done a few sets of 3DXM - they resist commuting miles really well. I was getting crazy mileage on my Blackbird.

They need a little more warming than some others and the Road5 are more confidence inspiring but the 3DXM is a really good tyre for regular see and incredible value.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

I assume you mean Pirelli Angel ST rather than Avon

I have the Angel ST on my Multistrada just now and lasted about 6000 miles which is fairly good for my use which has been lower mileage and gentler than before for a few reasons. Initially i wasnt a huge fan of the feel but probably because i prefer the GT and GT2 version of the Angel which feel different and more stable on turn in due to different profile but i got used to it fairly quickly.

I also have the Contimotion on the rear of my Fazer 600 with a Dunlop on the front. I look on that as a commuter tyre so fairly hard in the middle. Been pleasantly surprised by the feel of it and havent had any real movement off it when pushing on and already to the edge of the tread but the majority of the mileage is upright and slow speed as its my instructing/work bike

Out of the 3 i would have said the Angel ST is the overall compromise of the best of each world but i havent used the Avons an the Conti are probably one of the cheapest tyres around
Deadpool2

Post by Deadpool2 »

Cheers all

I have worn the rear Maxxis out in 2.5k and I don't ride very hard. I could just change the rear, but then will do so again in 2.5k.

The tire guy (Big Jims in Ealing) has suggested the Pirelli Diablo Strada, I know, single compound and quite old, but seem to do OK. Relatively cheap at £160 fitted, balanced (I hope), ride in, ride out.

Thoughts?
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Deadpool2 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:52 am Cheers all

I have worn the rear Maxxis out in 2.5k and I don't ride very hard. I could just change the rear, but then will do so again in 2.5k.

The tire guy (Big Jims in Ealing) has suggested the Pirelli Diablo Strada, I know, single compound and quite old, but seem to do OK. Relatively cheap at £160 fitted, balanced (I hope), ride in, ride out.

Thoughts?
I've got Diablo Strada's fitted to my Trumpet ST1050 - more than happy with them from a handling and feel POV, can't comment on life expectancy though....
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Deadpool2 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:52 am Cheers all

Thoughts?
I'm still a no personally. There's much better rubber out there than a 15 year old design. I always felt the Diablos whilst worked well enough felt squared earlier than some i tried.

I'd have the Conti before the Diablo myself.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

For road use with good wet grip I don’t venture beyond roadsmarts or pilot roads. Yet to find anything better especially wet grip
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Sorry can't help with these tyres but I can confirm Road 5s aint cheap. Good though. Of your choice maybe the Angels i think
The Spin Doctor

Couchy wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:55 pm For road use with good wet grip I don’t venture beyond roadsmarts or pilot roads. Yet to find anything better especially wet grip
Hmm. I had Roadsmarts on the XJ6. Not only did they NOT outperform the Contis in the wet, they lasted about half the distance - and squared off which really affected the handling. One feature I like about the Contis is that they hold their profile, which is why I went to them.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:34 pm
Couchy wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:55 pm For road use with good wet grip I don’t venture beyond roadsmarts or pilot roads. Yet to find anything better especially wet grip
Hmm. I had Roadsmarts on the XJ6. Not only did they NOT outperform the Contis in the wet, they lasted about half the distance - and squared off which really affected the handling. One feature I like about the Contis is that they hold their profile, which is why I went to them.
Tbh only had Roadsmart 3’s which may be different but tyres are a very personal thing
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Couchy wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:35 pm
Tbh only had Roadsmart 3’s which may be different but tyres are a very personal thing
Aint that the truth...... i know someone who i respect as a smooth fast rider who will never fit Dunlops to a bike, another who will never fit Michelin to their bikes as they have an experience they remember

My 600 has a Roadsmart on the front as it was new when i bought it and a Contimotion on the rear as the Roadsmart was shagged...... personally the combination feels fine to me and hasnt scared me and to the edge of the Conti without any real effort but gives good wet grip too

Black and round works and i ride round the different profiles and grip levels and combinations but my level is below some others on here who might demand a bit more from their tyres
Deadpool2

Post by Deadpool2 »

after all that decided to bite the bullet and just get the Pilot road 5s.

I have been wanting to try them out and if I if I sell the bike next year, at least it will have tires will decent life in them.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Deadpool2 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:30 am after all that decided to bite the bullet and just get the Pilot road 5s.

I have been wanting to try them out and if I if I sell the bike next year, at least it will have tires will decent life in them.
I'm interested in what they are like too, they look funky. The 4's on the 690 lasted almost 6k miles before squaring. They are fooked now but still have some tread, just handles badly. The 5's look like they have an even softer compound on the edges and less sipes so maybe won't step as much in later life. Hopefully mine are being fitted on Fri.
Deadpool2

Post by Deadpool2 »

the other option are the metzeler roadtec 01, but most people have been so positive about the Pilots, thought I would just get them.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I'd heard the Roadtec 01 don't last as long in tests I've read. I did consider the Conti Road Attack 3s but again sound like they don't last as long. Tyre matey said he can't sell 5's quick enough said he gets really good feedback on them.
The Spin Doctor

Couchy wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:35 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:34 pm
Fair do's... I think I had a pair of the originals. Really wasn't impressed despite some rave reviews in the comics. So I went back to the Contis.

The fact that Dunlop came out with three iterations of the Roadsmart while the even older Conti Motion has remained unchanged may be a hint that Conti got it right first time ;)
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Supermofo wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:34 pm I'd heard the Roadtec 01 don't last as long in tests I've read. I did consider the Conti Road Attack 3s but again sound like they don't last as long. Tyre matey said he can't sell 5's quick enough said he gets really good feedback on them.
I fitted a Road Attack rear on my Multi while in Norway as it was the only tyre i could find there after the Bridgestone T30 (sport touring tyre i was persuaded to fit by tyre place instead of my usual Pirelli GT) was shagged in 3500 miles while the bike was fully loaded with top box and full panniers ...... The Road Attack lasted 4500miles and gave really good grip so never looked at Bridgestone again

My normal favourite Pirelli Angel GT2 Sport/Touring tyre is now back on the bike
The Spin Doctor

Bigyin wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:01 pm
Supermofo wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:34 pm I'd heard the Roadtec 01 don't last as long in tests I've read. I did consider the Conti Road Attack 3s but again sound like they don't last as long. Tyre matey said he can't sell 5's quick enough said he gets really good feedback on them.
I fitted a Road Attack rear on my Multi while in Norway as it was the only tyre i could find there after the Bridgestone T30 (sport touring tyre i was persuaded to fit by tyre place instead of my usual Pirelli GT) was shagged in 3500 miles while the bike was fully loaded with top box and full panniers ...... The Road Attack lasted 4500miles and gave really good grip so never looked at Bridgestone again

My normal favourite Pirelli Angel GT2 Sport/Touring tyre is now back on the bike
Sport-touring tyres used to last 12-15k miles, worked in the wet, and still gave enough grip for me to get my knee down. I guess they didn't sell enough, and with most bikes only doing about 3k a year, I suppose owners see a new set of tyres each year as an investment for the next twelve months.

I'm just glad I'm not still riding doing 1000 miles a week training - a new set every month is a bit much and people bitch about the cost of courses as it is!