The Official Watch Thread.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Wreckless Rat

The Official Watch Thread.

Post by Wreckless Rat »

I don't see one on here, and I have enjoyed the thread on 'the other place', so let's get one going in here.

A stupidly complex watch, but you have to appreciate it for the skill of the guy(s) building it....

...and..... go...
v8-powered

Re: The Official Watch Thread.

Post by v8-powered »

Excellent, I'll miss the watch threads from TRC.
Got some cash in my business I want to splash so will follow keenly.....
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

With “the other place” dying tonight, I’m hopeful all the watch nerds will move over.
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Be nice if it stays technical / advice driven for watch nerds ( or wannabe watch nerds) and stays away from ‘I’m considerably richer than yaow ‘ type posts .

I don’t suppose there are any other fans of ‘higher end’ quartz watches? I have a Tag LE, a Breitling Jupiter and a Tissot.. I know they don’t really fit in with the mechanical stuff ..
Druid

Post by Druid »

Gedge wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:27 pm Be nice if it stays technical / advice driven for watch nerds ( or wannabe watch nerds) and stays away from ‘I’m considerably richer than yaow ‘ type posts .

I don’t suppose there are any other fans of ‘higher end’ quartz watches? I have a Tag LE, a Breitling Jupiter and a Tissot.. I know they don’t really fit in with the mechanical stuff ..
Me. I have a quartz Omega Seamaster. If I'm spending a large chunk of cash on a watch I would rather have one that performs the basic function of a watch as well as possible rather than pay a bit more for something that needs to be reset every couple of days.

In the same way I can appreciate the engineering and mechanical skill that goes into designing carburettors, magnetos and contact breakers, but give me electronic fuel injection and ignition any day
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

I don’t think the thread should be limited to mechanical, there are nice quartz watches too.

I still hanker for the GS snowflake :think:
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Although I appreciate the huge amount of skill that goes into designing and making something like that I'm still not a fan of watches with masses of complications.
Especially one that looks like a cross between the inside of C3PO's butt and Donald Trumps house.

Immensely skilled workmanship but I wouldn't be seen dead wearing one, even if I could afford it.

Also, it's possible I missed it and the footage is slightly blurred because its hard to get good depth of field on something so small I guess but I didn't see any shock protection on the little ruby bearings.usually go on the balance wheel plus a few others.

Think a tradename is Incablock for some of them? I'm no expert and watches were made for yonks without them, plus I guess the only chance its got of being dropped is if Bernie Ecclestone gets mugged again so it likely doesn't need it. Dunno.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Gedge wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:27 pm Be nice if it stays technical / advice driven for watch nerds ( or wannabe watch nerds) and stays away from ‘I’m considerably richer than yaow ‘ type posts .
I agree, but in order to keep it civil and sensible let's all accept that people have different budgets and different reasons for wanting what they want.
moth

Post by moth »

Harry wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:14 am
I agree, but in order to keep it civil and sensible let's all accept that people have different budgets and different reasons for wanting what they want.
I'm with you, but if you turn up with a PP I reserve the right to call you a rich flash bastard :)
Proud Tory scum since 1974.
Potter

Post by Potter »

moth wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:14 pm I'm with you, but if you turn up with a PP I reserve the right to call you a rich flash bastard :)
I haven't shared my PP story because it may invite moaners, but recently I decided to buy the Nautilus 5712, so I popped in the PP shop and asked to put one on order. They told me that they get over a thousand requests a year for one and if they put everyone on the list it would be well over a decade to wait for a watch.
Their solution is that you can only go on the 'wish list' if you've already spent £250k with them.

I won't be doing that, nor will I be paying £70k for a used one when the list price is £32k.
So that's my PP adventure over and they can stick their watches up their hoop.
Potter

Post by Potter »

The Blue BB58 seems to be the hot watch at the moment, even people that weren't keen changed their minds when they saw one in the flesh.
Apparently they're in short supply and some reckon they're only ever going to go up in price.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Harry wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:39 pm The Blue BB58 seems to be the hot watch at the moment, even people that weren't keen changed their minds when they saw one in the flesh.
Apparently they're in short supply and some reckon they're only ever going to go up in price.
I struggle to get my head round buying a Tudor over a Rolex though, even though I know they are great time pieces it's like the old 'got a 944 because you couldn't afford a 911' story

And before anyone says it, I got a 928 S2 because I couldn't afford a 911 at the time...
Potter

Post by Potter »

v8-powered wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:55 pm I struggle to get my head round buying a Tudor over a Rolex though, even though I know they are great time pieces it's like the old 'got a 944 because you couldn't afford a 911' story
Yeah I get it, being a younger brother of Rolex is always going to get that, but on the flip side having the support of Rolex must be a plus.

The blue BB58 looks better than the Rolex Smurf IMO.
And the black BB58 looks better than the Rolex Sub.
The only thing I can think where the Rolex looks better than the Tudor equivalent is the GMT with black ceramic bezel and green GMT hand.

But then I'm not a Rolex fan tbh, there are only a few I like, the Explorer 2, the GMT and the Yachtmaster, but other than that I'm not a big fan.
G.P

Post by G.P »

Every I time start browsing watches, I always end up looking at Meistersingers. Anyone got one or tried one in the flesh?
Anyone out there got one?
Potter

Post by Potter »

G.P wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:11 pm Every I time start browsing watches, I always end up looking at Meistersingers. Anyone got one or tried one in the flesh?
Yes, I tried one on in the shop, can't remember the model but it had a brown suede strap.
Think it might have been the No.1, I remember it was £1k.
It looked nice but just didn't grab me enough to buy it.

Sellita movement, so should be reliable and they look well made.
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

I found the vid to be a bit mesmerizing. I kept thinking about a pocket watch my mother gave to me not long before she died. It was a graduation present to her father. Under the back cover is an inscription W C XXXXXXX from Father and Mother Class of '91 DMHS
That would be the class of 1891 DesMoines High School. It's a Southbend. Still working. I just had a look at it, set it, and wound it. I haven't run it in ages. Not in too bad of shape for its age.
It lives in an envelope from an appraisal done in 1992. I picked it up for mom and don't recall what value it was given. The appraisal letter seems to have vanished into thin air. But the price for the appraisal was $50 US plus $4.13 in "federal tax." Received by the appraiser 12-12-92 (1992, not 1892 ya fuckers). As I recall the guy was a prick. The front cover is opened by pressing a latch release on the crown. He'd pop it open then pop it shut without pressing that release. Doing so will damage the tiny shelf of metal on the inside of the front cover that engages with the latch. He did this several times for reasons that escape me.
moth

Post by moth »

Harry wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:39 pm The Blue BB58 seems to be the hot watch at the moment, even people that weren't keen changed their minds when they saw one in the flesh.
The black and the blue are both like hen's teeth over here in broken Britain. Like I said elsewhere (RIP), I only got mine because I'd already spent some wedge on a present for mrs moth.

They're certainly more popular than the 41 and 43 BB, which should be sending a message to watch manufacturers.
moth

Post by moth »

G.P wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:11 pm Every I time start browsing watches, I always end up looking at Meistersingers. Anyone got one or tried one in the flesh?
Are they the ones designed by Nellie Pledge? :)
Potter

Post by Potter »

moth wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:13 pm
The black and the blue are both like hen's teeth over here in broken Britain. Like I said elsewhere (RIP), I only got mine because I'd already spent some wedge on a present for mrs moth.

They're certainly more popular than the 41 and 43 BB, which should be sending a message to watch manufacturers.
Went in today to ask about the Blue 58, they had one in the shop a couple of weeks ago, but not now.
They said from now on they're order only, they won't be getting stock in to put in the window or to put on the shelf until someone wants one.

I think watch purchases for investment have stepped right up, they had no idea when my other Rolex's will be coming and said some people had been in to order half a dozen watches at a time, so it looks like the big spenders are getting the watches before anyone else.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

I don’t have an MS but have considered one before. I’ve got some other ‘novel’ watches and I’ve come to the conclusion that they’re solutions to problems that don’t exist. The ones I have get no wear time at all and I probably wouldn’t look to get more of that type of watch.