Got a new bike today

Anything you like about motorbikes
Slenver

Got a new bike today

Post by Slenver »

I took my SuperDuke GT in for a service today. While waiting, I took a new SuperDuke R out for an hour too. It was very nice.

For those that don't know, the GT is basically an R but with a lot of weight added for comfort/touring purposes (big tank, screen, strengthened subframe etc etc) and I think the wheelbase is lengthened too. The R I rode felt like what it is compared to mine - significantly lighter, firmer and pointier. Which equals fun.

The GT has semi-active suspension and, of course, modes. My problem has always been these don't go far enough. For pillions and luggage I imagine the presets are useful, but it has 3 suspension modes and 3 throttle maps. But even the sportiest of both is still not very sporty. It wallows and shimmies too much and the throttle sensitivity is not very. It took me weeks to realise that if you rip your hand right round it actually uncovers loads of power that's missing from the usual range of throttle action. Quite what the softer two settings are for, fuck knows.

On the suspension front, the softest setting is basically damping-free. ie, some sort of horrible wallow mode. Useful occasionally for a long stretch of speed bumps or even a straight motorway section over broken tarmac, but you wouldn't want to hit a corner in that mode by accident. The middle mode is, of course, pointless.

Anyway, I was moaning about all this to the guy as I was waiting for the R to be readied and he told me that while the second gen GT solved many of these issues, they were all software based and available for my bike. As were a whole raft of other software updates that I didn't know about that have come out since my last service.

So, I take out the R and love it. I then get back on mine for the hour's ride home expecting to be disappointed after hopping off the R and find that my old bike had essentially been replaced. Software's clever these days, isn't it?

The sportiest suspension setting is now far firmer and more controlled. And the throttle mapping is more aggressive. And it sounded different. And it was smoother. And it had some little pops and crackles on the overrun. And, despite riding it home way, way harder than I did on the way there as I was enjoying the change, I got 4mpg extra.

Now, I'm quite prepared to believe that some of the changes I just listed were in my head - maybe it sounded different because I was riding it harder for example. Maybe it wasn't much smoother after all but I was just in a lower gear. Dunno. But it was honestly transformed as a bike. I started thinking about booking a trackday on it whereas before it would've been more for comedy value.

I didn't try the other settings but apparently they're all improved and now useful. Comfort is comfortable rather than wallowy and the middle setting probably has a purpose now that the sporty setting is so much firmer.

Shame the software update didn't add the LED headlights and new dash etc from the newer bike, but even so, I was seriously impressed. None of this is news btw - having got home and googled it it turns out it was released to older owners about May last year and the KTM forums are full of it, but nobody told me.

So, £320 later I have new oil and filters etc. And a new bike.
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Got a new bike today

Post by weeksy »

I started reading it and was thinking "Didn't they do that a while ago?"
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

weeksy wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:10 pm I started reading it and was thinking "Didn't they do that a while ago?"
Very much so. My service was actually due in December so it would've been done then. Just with me being slack over winter, then covid and then months'-long waiting lists, it took till today before I took it in.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Hahhahaa. I'm pleased though.... but a little bit of an anti-climax i must admit :D
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

weeksy wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:15 pm Hahhahaa. I'm pleased though.... but a little bit of an anti-climax i must admit :D
Yes, that was the intention :) The opposite for me though!
Skub

Post by Skub »

:lol:

Sometimes the grass isn't greener.

Happy new,old bike day dude. 8-)
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Horse

Post by Horse »

Skub wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:26 pm
Sometimes it is. 'Cos it's a swamp ;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Horse wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:43 pm
Skub wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:26 pm
Sometimes it is. 'Cos it's a swamp ;)
It's sort of neither/both really. It's not the bike I really need or want currently, but it's certainly been given a few brownie points and a stay of execution!
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I could never quite get my head around the infamous Ktm software updates... so I sold it. 🤷‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
scottyuk

Post by scottyuk »

weeksy wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:10 pm I started reading it and was thinking "Didn't they do that a while ago?"
Yep - You might be recalling me spouting similar joy when I had mine done in May '19. Transformed it :thumbup: