What bike should I buy?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Beancounter

Re: What bike should I buy?

Post by Beancounter »

MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:28 am Left field incoming;

ImageIMG_20191122_124650 by MrLongbeard, on Flickr
The FTR1200 looks gorgeous IRL too. Saw one at Robinson's Foundry a couple of days ago, I did briefly consider trading in for it.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Rockburner wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:51 am
Slenver wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:39 am
MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:28 am Left field incoming;
Left field choices definitely welcome :thumbup:

Oh - well - in that case.....

Has sir considered the possibilities for virtually all tarmac based riding provided by a low-mileage, good condition, and extremely affordable to sir, BMW K1200R? Available immediately with new battery, good tyres and otherwise as it was rolled out of the factory. Last chance to purchase this very excellent "gentleman's conveyance", before it is exchanged and lost to the vagaries of the back-street dealer's market place.

No?

Very well, I wish sir well with his future choices. :)
:)

I bet it's really good. But doesn't do it for me.

I too wish you godspeed with your hopefully fortuitous transaction.
Last edited by Slenver on Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Beancounter wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:58 am

What about an MT-09?

Selling already?
non quod, sed quomodo
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Beancounter wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:58 am I think Diablo still has that/your old ZX7r. Not that she's looking to sell it or you're looking to buy that particular one, but it's nice to know it's still within the forum fraternity.
Really? That's so cool! I don't even remember selling it on the forum tbh, it was, what, 2007 or 8? Great bike though. Even back then it literally drew the entire staff and customers of my local Hein Gericke outside to look when I mentioned what bike I was looking for a part for! Best-looking bike ever IMHO and rode beautifully (once you did the essential raising of the rear ride height that everyone did).

Beancounter wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:58 amWhat about an MT-09?

The yellow speed block XSR900 looks pretty good too IMO.

A Guzzi v85?
All good suggestions, cheers. Maybe not the V85 though, don't have any need for anything non-tarmac so happy to keep it pure road bike.
Beancounter wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:58 am Of course, if you're dead set on a solid black back then ignore me. :)
It's not an absolute... I had to compromise with the KTM of course because of their orange obsession, and have occasionally gone off piste because a second-hand deal has required it... but as I'm looking now more for a bit of recreational fun and not much more then I'd like it to be pleasing to my eye. I'd like to think it's not a factor, but of course it is really :)
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Rockburner wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:06 am
Selling already?
Nah, logic kicked in pretty swiftly and I don't want to spend that much on a bike which is just a toy.
Slenver wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:13 am
Beancounter wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:58 am I think Diablo still has that/your old ZX7r. Not that she's looking to sell it or you're looking to buy that particular one, but it's nice to know it's still within the forum fraternity.
Really? That's so cool! I don't even remember selling it on the forum tbh, it was, what, 2007 or 8? Great bike though. Even back then it literally drew the entire staff and customers of my local Hein Gericke outside to look when I mentioned what bike I was looking for a part for! Best-looking bike ever IMHO and rode beautifully (once you did the essential raising of the rear ride height that everyone did).
You sold it to Sloth (Diablo's OH) IIRC, can't remember if it was 2007 or 2008 (he had it in the Summer of 2008). It's still in Diablo's garage, don't think it's been run in a few years.
Beancounter wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:58 am A Guzzi v85?
All good suggestions, cheers. Maybe not the V85 though, don't have any need for anything non-tarmac so happy to keep it pure road bike.
TBF, the v85 isn't a light bike by all accounts and I would expect it to be heavier than your current KTM.
...then I'd like it to be pleasing to my eye. I'd like to think it's not a factor, but of course it is really :)
No point paying a load of cash for something you don't like the look of. :mrgreen:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

The R1250RS is supposed to be a very good bike, or what about an S1000XR?
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Beancounter wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:04 pm You sold it to Sloth (Diablo's OH) IIRC, can't remember if it was 2007 or 2008 (he had it in the Summer of 2008). It's still in Diablo's garage, don't think it's been run in a few years.
Ah yes, that rings a bell of course. Well, glad it's still in the family. Needs running though!
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:09 pm The R1250RS is supposed to be a very good bike, or what about an S1000XR?
S1000XR too similar to what I have really. My last shortlist was really the the KTM, Multistrada or S1000XR. Discounted it for a few reasons I'd read about (can't remember detail, but serious bar vibes was one thing I think).

I need a change though, I think hence going more towards the retro direction or back towards overtly sporty. I think with the R1250S it's again probably too close to what I have, even if further away than the XR. I guess maybe too practical when I just want a bit of fun.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Do a Couchy, get a 650 Enfield, throw a bit of cash at the suspension and then (unlike Couchy) blow the rest on drugs and hookers.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:28 pm Do a Couchy, get a 650 Enfield, throw a bit of cash at the suspension and then (unlike Couchy) blow the rest on drugs and hookers.
I wouldn't mind an Enfield. I rode a Bullet 500 around India a few years ago and would've loved to have brought it home. I couldn't really though because a) It was a rental, obvs, and b) It was shit. I mean, I loved it but am mechanically inept and it needed fixing every day.

Was idly browsing them yesterday trying to work out if I could justify two bikes if I didn't spend any more money! I could get a Bullet for 3k and still have 6k for something 'better'.

The newer ones still appeal to, though more cash of course.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

My 2014 EFI Bullet 500 was £2300 and hasn't needed more than basic spannering in the last 1,000 miles.

It's great on the lanes, tootling along at 50mph in jeans and an open face lid.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:47 pm My 2014 EFI Bullet 500 was £2300 and hasn't needed more than basic spannering in the last 1,000 miles.

It's great on the lanes, tootling along at 50mph in jeans and an open face lid.
Ah, didn't know you had one. That's very cool!

In fairness to the ones we hired, it was 2006 and I think quality improved gradually didn't it? Also, we took them on a 4,000 mile trip into the mountains and all kinds of awful stuff so the fact that they survived was impressive. And from memory, one of them was fairly trouble-free, but my mate's had a few recurring issues - the electric starter never worked and any water would cut it out. Probably fine in normal use but we were going through a lot of quite deep rivers.

Getting the hankering again now - if I bought something like that then that covers the retro, bimbling itch and I could then add something sporty if necessary later.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

The EFI has been around since 2008 IIRC, it's a unit construction engine designed in Switzerland. They're a lot less maintenance heavy and generally reliable. Still air cooled and still a pushrod motor so kept a lot of the character. A very loud pipe is essential.

Mines a Bullet rather than a Classic 500, so has a different tank and seat, you could pick a new one up for 4k, but they've stopped making them now and dealers are struggling to get stock.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:05 pm The EFI has been around since 2008 IIRC, it's a unit construction engine designed in Switzerland. They're a lot less maintenance heavy and generally reliable. Still air cooled and still a pushrod motor so kept a lot of the character. A very loud pipe is essential.

Mines a Bullet rather than a Classic 500, so has a different tank and seat, you could pick a new one up for 4k, but they've stopped making them now and dealers are struggling to get stock.
Do they still make the same noise? And gizza photo then, mister?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

All the coolest people have a Moto Guzzi too...
Attachments
FB_IMG_1595507017618.jpg
FB_IMG_1595507017618.jpg (136.06 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:24 pm All the coolest people have a Moto Guzzi too...
Nice. Like them both.

And look, they do a full black version of the Classic. I LIKE it.

Last edited by Slenver on Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

A ZX7R for the track, take all the road legal stuff off and it might get down the weight of a standard SRAD :D
And a modern retro that you like for the road, how anyone manages with just one motorbike I don't know.
Honda Owner
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:37 pm A ZX7R for the track, take all the road legal stuff off and it might get down the weight of a standard SRAD :D
And a modern retro that you like for the road, how anyone manages with just one motorbike I don't know.
I think maybe this could be it, with some modification... a ZX7R in road spec that I can also use for trackdays, plus an Enfield for local pootling. That way I tick a lot of boxes in one, well two, fell swoop(s). Sports bike, track bike and retro bike, including revisiting the 7R I loved and the Enfield I always wanted to bring back from India.

AND, I'd get them both for the cost of my current KTM :)

Re ZX7R weight, I remember my first trackday on it before any adjustment - felt like dragging an elephant around the corners. I came out of the first session dripping in sweat and exhausted! But after doing the essential raising of the rear ride height I did another and it was literally transformational. The difference on the road was subtle, but on track it suddenly went round corners with the correct vim!
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

You can a lot of weight off a bike and it still be road legal, especially if you don't want to ride at night or carry passengers, just taking the headlights off will remove about 3 kilos from high on the bike.
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Slenver wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:50 pm
Julian_Boolean wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:37 pm A ZX7R for the track, take all the road legal stuff off and it might get down the weight of a standard SRAD :D
I think maybe this could be it, with some modification... a ZX7R in road spec that I can also use for trackdays, plus an Enfield for local pootling. That way I tick a lot of boxes in one, well two, fell swoop(s). Sports bike, track bike and retro bike, including revisiting the 7R I loved and the Enfield I always wanted to bring back from India.

AND, I'd get them both for the cost of my current KTM :)

Re ZX7R weight, I remember my first trackday on it before any adjustment - felt like dragging an elephant around the corners. I came out of the first session dripping in sweat and exhausted! But after doing the essential raising of the rear ride height I did another and it was literally transformational. The difference on the road was subtle, but on track it suddenly went round corners with the correct vim!
Now, some may disagree here, but going back to an old bike just isn't the same when you've had the toys, when you've had refined... it's like going back to B/W telly... it's just not what you remember...