What bike should I buy?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Slenver

What bike should I buy?

Post by Slenver »

I ask this question knowing full well that it's the most stupid question I could possibly ask in a motorbike forum. For a starters, I need to tell you what kind of thing I want. The problem is I really don't know that either.

I've not had a huge back catalogue of bikes, but every time I've wanted/needed something new I've had a fairly clear idea of what it was I wanted. Now though, I have no idea. So humour me - think of it more like an aimless semi-drunken pub chat rather than a recommendation-style post if necessary.

So here's where I am.... I started off on a Bandit 600 in the 90s and found I wanted to go faster and more sportlier, so went to SV650 then ZX7r then ZX10r, with various trackways and then a little racing along the way. I was perfectly happy with the (2006) 10r as an amazing real-world all-rounder and had no plans to change, but it was eventually stolen.

I borrowed an old CBR6 for a while which was quite fun and then a move to the country and need to commuting lead me to a Tiger 800 which was brilliantly competent while brilliantly dull. Decided an older litre bike was where it was at so got an '06 Gixxer 1000 which was a lot less dull but realistically Too Much For The Road and probably too much for my now 40-something old body.

More commuting beckoned so bought a KTM SuperDuke GT which I have now. And it's pretty good. Sort of jack of all trades, master of none really. Poky, practical, comfortable but I don't get the urge to jump on it for fun. And now I don't need to commute any more so it's just taking up a sizeable space in my garage that could be used for something more fun.

Money's always a consideration of course, but the KTM is still worth around 9k so even without dipping into any savings I have a lot open to me. But I could if necessary. So what do I want?

Have considered so far:
- Going full retro with a Bonneville. Blarting around the country lanes where I live, not bothering about trying to go fast, cos I'm old.

- Getting an older 600 or 750 sportsbike. 100bhp is enough for anyone etc etc, and with this I could maybe start doing trackdays again.

- Searching out a nice, clean ZX7r. I fucking loved that thing.

- Searching out a nice, clean ZX10r. See above.

- Maybe some other older litre bike again. A nice Blade or R1 perhaps? I like trying new things and have mainly owned Kwaks and Suzukis by chance.

- A Street Triple. All the power and handling of a sportsbike with a bit more upright comfy for my old bones and an almost retro-vibe. Plus everyone says they're great.

- Almost everything else.

You see my problem.

The only requirement is that it floats my boat, and nobody can really guess that for me. I like plain, black bikes. Everything from that list above would almost certainly be plain black or dark grey. Someone's bound to suggest a KTM 890r for example which might well be a candidate, but it's fucking orange, white and hideous. I'd do it but reluctantly.

So, any ideas? :)
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: What bike should I buy?

Post by weeksy »

Well, without being all daft, you can do trackdays on whatever you like, i did Silverstone last week on a 500 mile old XSR900 without any issues. So don't use the bike as an excuse for not doing a trackday... it's all just a question of mindset.

So it comes more down to "what bike will give you the urge to get out riding"

In your position I'd be going https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2019-19-TRIU ... SwTBReWOWB

Speed Triple 1050, virtually new and likely a straight swap for yours.

For me, i wouldn't go 890R, but i'd still go 790.... I don't think the 890R is worth the difference in price over a new/nearly new 790.
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

Triumph Speed Twin. Retro without being old fashioned, more torque than an XJR 1300, 96 bhp, well speced, beautifully finished,and delightful handling- available in black and grey...
Attachments
289E39B9-C287-4085-9D44-9893CDE37334.jpeg
289E39B9-C287-4085-9D44-9893CDE37334.jpeg (163.78 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
Last edited by Nidge on Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Nidge wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:38 am Triumph Speed Twin. Retro without being old fashioned, more torque than an XJR 1300, 96 bhp, well speced, beautifully finished,and delightful handling
I wonder how it would take a track ? any videos out there ? Does it have ABS ? Traction ? other toys ?
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:40 am
Nidge wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:38 am Triumph Speed Twin. Retro without being old fashioned, more torque than an XJR 1300, 96 bhp, well speced, beautifully finished,and delightful handling
I wonder how it would take a track ? any videos out there ? Does it have ABS ? Traction ? other toys ?
ABS, three riding modes and traction control, Pirelli Rosso III tyres point towards its sporting intentions and it is 10 kg lighter than the Truxton R with magnesium cam cover, lighter clutch and wheels
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:36 am Well, without being all daft, you can do trackdays on whatever you like, i did Silverstone last week on a 500 mile old XSR900 without any issues. So don't use the bike as an excuse for not doing a trackday... it's all just a question of mindset.

So it comes more down to "what bike will give you the urge to get out riding"

In your position I'd be going https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2019-19-TRIU ... SwTBReWOWB

Speed Triple 1050, virtually new and likely a straight swap for yours.

For me, i wouldn't go 890R, but i'd still go 790.... I don't think the 890R is worth the difference in price over a new/nearly new 790.
Speed Triple actually an excellent idea. Have always liked them it does actually tick a lot of boxes.

You're right of course re trackdays. And I actually far more enjoyed them when I started off on an SV than the last one I did on my 10r for example. Have considered doing one of the KTM for a laugh but suspect it'd be physically hard dragging that lump around :) Also vaguely considered getting a track bike. They're potentially peanuts to buy and don't have the same damage worries, but storage and transport obviously a pain when I'm not doing them currently anyway.

On the KTM front, I'm getting mine serviced tomorrow and have time to kill so enquired about a test on an 890 but they said they don't have any and aren't likely to. Stocks are low and they're selling the few they have straightaway. Gonna take out out a SuperDuke R though, cos why not?
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Nidge wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:38 am Triumph Speed Twin. Retro without being old fashioned, more torque than an XJR 1300, 96 bhp, well speced, beautifully finished,and delightful handling- available in black and grey...
Thanks :) I was reading up on the Triumph range last night. For subjective reasons that are hard to explain though, the standard Bonneville appeals in its sort of 50s way but the Speed Twin with its cast wheels and everything just looks more bland to me. More 70s and I don't have any feeling towards 70s bikes at all.

I suspect the Speed would be a better ride than the Bonneville and is a good suggestion. I'll mull it further but have my doubts :)
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

A Panigale.

A Superleggera.
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

I know what you mean, I was definitely going to buy a Thruxton R and the Speed Twin didn’t appear on my radar (I didn’t even notice it in the shop). Loved the looks of the Thruxton but hated riding it, the sales guy suggested I take out the Speed Twin and I was immediately impressed with it. I put 500 miles on it in just over a week and it just gets better and better- it may not be the bike for you but I would certainly recommend test riding one if you get the chance
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Nidge wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:04 am I know what you mean, I was definitely going to buy a Thruxton R and the Speed Twin didn’t appear on my radar (I didn’t even notice it in the shop). Loved the looks of the Thruxton but hated riding it, the sales guy suggested I take out the Speed Twin and I was immediately impressed with it. I put 500 miles on it in just over a week and it just gets better and better- it may not be the bike for you but I would certainly recommend test riding one if you get the chance
Thanks, that's a good shout.

I did try a Thruxton not long after they came out because everyone was raving about them then. I was a bit disappointed really - it was absolutely fine in every way but I was expecting more somehow. Maybe it was a grower but a brief test didn't light my fire like I was expecting.
G.P

Post by G.P »

Slenver wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:09 am

I did try a Thruxton not long after they came out because everyone was raving about them then. I was a bit disappointed really - it was absolutely fine in every way but I was expecting more somehow. Maybe it was a grower but a brief test didn't light my fire like I was expecting.
Buy a speed twin.

Everyone who bought a Thruxton just before the Speed twin came out are spitting feathers!

Also - I should recommend what I've got - Ducati monster 1200. £8k will buy you a really low mileage one.
  • Its comfortable,
    it handles,
    the S version has got ohlins both ends and over 140bhp (an 06 ZX10R owning mate reckons the torque is mental).
    It makes you smile when you open the garage door.
    Everybody should own a Ducati at some point
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Left field incoming;

ImageIMG_20191122_124650 by MrLongbeard, on Flickr
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

G.P wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:27 amBuy a speed twin.

Everyone who bought a Thruxton just before the Speed twin came out are spitting feathers!

Also - I should recommend what I've got - Ducati monster 1200. £8k will buy you a really low mileage one.
  • Its comfortable,
    it handles,
    the S version has got ohlins both ends and over 140bhp (an 06 ZX10R owning mate reckons the torque is mental).
    It makes you smile when you open the garage door.
    Everybody should own a Ducati at some point
Speed Twin actually growing on me. With bar-end mirrors and a tail tidy it looks to me eyes pretty good - decent mix of retro and modern and it certainly sounds like a much better bike than a Bonneville. So, Bonny out, Speed on the list :)

And yeah, I have always fancied a Ducati. Tried a Multi before buying the KTM, but the KTM just felt a bit smaller and sportier. Plus I couldn't stomach the potential servicing costs :)
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

IMHO you can't go far wrong with a 954 'Blade if looking at something a little older - commute, scratch, track. :thumbup:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I'm similar to you about my next bike, I'm the same age and not sure what I want but sounds like we have some ideas in common. I've been thinking

Speed Triple 1050
Street Triple 765
XSR900
Tracer 900
1090 Adventure
R9T pure

Need to sort some test rides really.

I really liked Weeksy's XSR900 but ideally would want more leg room, bigger tank, softer seat. So need to see if the Tracer fits that bill or if it'll lose the sporty ride of the XSR in translation to do it all bike. I prefer the look of the XSR but for me the ride trumps the look
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:28 am Left field incoming;
Left field choices definitely welcome :thumbup:

Will read up more on both. Very pleased that CCM are back in the game, either way. Indians have never previously done much for me - though there's a dealer down the road by chance (with no big name dealers within an hour of me), so they score a big point there.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

v8-powered wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:34 am IMHO you can't go far wrong with a 954 'Blade if looking at something a little older - commute, scratch, track. :thumbup:
Yeah, that was my thinking. An inexpensive way of getting an all-rounder. Good thinking :thumbup:
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Supermofo wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:36 am I'm similar to you about my next bike, I'm the same age and not sure what I want but sounds like we have some ideas in common. I've been thinking

Speed Triple 1050
Street Triple 765
XSR900
Tracer 900
1090 Adventure
R9T pure

Need to sort some test rides really.

I really liked Weeksy's XSR900 but ideally would want more leg room, bigger tank, softer seat. So need to see if the Tracer fits that bill or if it'll lose the sporty ride of the XSR in translation to do it all bike. I prefer the look of the XSR but for me the ride trumps the look
The Tracer was on my shortlist when I bought the KTM but wasn't quite out yet so couldn't try one.

Funny thing was, I wanted something comfy and practical and was initially looking at the Super Adventure and Multistrada, both of which I tried at least once. It was the KTM dealer who suggested I try the SD GT and it immediately felt right - so much smaller, sportier and flickable than the SA which I'd just got off.

Of course, after a few months of riding it in isolation I've realised that it's still massive and heavy! Want something smaller next.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Slenver wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:39 am
MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:28 am Left field incoming;
Left field choices definitely welcome :thumbup:

Oh - well - in that case.....

Has sir considered the possibilities for virtually all tarmac based riding provided by a low-mileage, good condition, and extremely affordable to sir, BMW K1200R? Available immediately with new battery, good tyres and otherwise as it was rolled out of the factory. Last chance to purchase this very excellent "gentleman's conveyance", before it is exchanged and lost to the vagaries of the back-street dealer's market place.

No?

Very well, I wish sir well with his future choices. :)
non quod, sed quomodo
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Slenver wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:31 am.... then ZX7r ....

- Searching out a nice, clean ZX7r. I fucking loved that thing.
I think Diablo still has that/your old ZX7r. Not that she's looking to sell it or you're looking to buy that particular one, but it's nice to know it's still within the forum fraternity.

What about an MT-09?

The yellow speed block XSR900 looks pretty good too IMO.

A Guzzi v85?

Of course, if you're dead set on a solid black back then ignore me. :)