New bike day

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Beancounter

New bike day

Post by Beancounter »

I was lucky enough to get a pretty good bonus from work this year and, considering we’ve only just got a mortgage, the girlfriend was very much keen on me getting a new bike – well, new to me obviously.

Initially I was drawn to another Beemer, the R1200RT. My OH likes going pillion and I figured a proper tourer would be ideal but, as she pointed out, I already have an 1150GSA and a Caponord which are both fine for pillion use and she really didn’t want another Beemer in the garage. So with that in mind it was decided I should get a bike for me. My biking history is quite limited – a couple of TDMs, a few Beemers (Rockster, 1100RT and the current GSA) and an SV650, so it was kinda like being handed the keys to the sweet shop.

For a couple of weeks it was the Ducati Diavel that topped the list, then a Tuono V4 (despite me having nowhere near the skills to enjoy it properly), then I settled on the XSR900, partly after reading the thread on TRC and having listened to Maccecht rave about his Tracer, I thought I’d look at the MT-09 too. (The Tracer didn’t appeal.)

So a couple of weeks ago the OH and I went to look at an MT-09, more to rule it out if I’m honest as I preferred the XSR. OH fell in love with the MT the second she saw it – she doesn’t have much of a poker face, exclaiming that I should just buy it and forget about the XSR I was looking at later that afternoon. Nevertheless, I wanted to see the XSR. It was £3k more expensive than the MT but was the one that I preferred.
I get to the dealer’s mid-afternoon. Park up my bike and wander round to the front of the store. The XSR is out on display. I got about 3ft from it before deciding the MT was the better purchase for me.

A few text messages and a couple of days later and I’m the happy owner of a 2015 MT-09 with 15k miles on the clock, FSH and one owner from new.
As you’d expect with a 15k mile bike, it’s not immaculate but it is pretty mint, had a recent service with new tyres, chain and sprockets and brake pads. It has a couple of extras on it – full road-legal titanium Akra system, Bagster ‘comfort’ seat, R&G tail tidy and Woodcraft clip-on adaptor plate to replace the standard handlebar which give it a more café racer look. Standard parts came with the bike and first thing I’ll be doing is putting the standard handlebar back on. The Woodcrafts look good and are not actually that low but the swept angle is more than I’m comfortable with so the standard handlebars will be going back on.

Have only covered 150 miles since buying it so can’t really comment on it other than to say it’s mental fun. The engine, and I appreciate my frame of reference is quite low given my current bikes, is outstanding, even compared to the Caponord (and I thought that was a cracking engine). Even with the fly screen, up to 80mph and you start to feel like you’re hanging on a bit, anything above that is just rollercoaster-esque. The OH says the pillion seat is comfy and position isn’t too cramped but bear in mind she’s only 5’ 2”. She does say it’s a bit precarious without a top box behind her so I’ll be fitting a Renntec grab rail.

Other than that, the suspension is on the to-do list. I am not a fast rider but having recently fitted Nitrons to my GSA even I can feel the difference with decent suspension – it doesn’t make me ride faster, just more relaxed with fewer bum squeaks.

Very happy with it. :D

It looks so tiny stuck in between the GSA and the Capo. :mrgreen:
Tricky

Re: New bike day

Post by Tricky »

Excellent choice Beanie :thumbup:
The CP3 really is a lovely engine IMO- you going to make it to Pembrey on it next month?

P.S. Your pics aren't working for me - dunno if anyone else can see them?
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Nice one Cam, but as Tricky says the pics dont show up mate
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Tricky wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:29 pm Excellent choice Beanie :thumbup:
The CP3 really is a lovely engine IMO- you going to make it to Pembrey on it next month?

P.S. Your pics aren't working for me - dunno if anyone else can see them?
Fuck knows what I’m doing wrong, KFB even gave me idiot guide instructions and I’ve still managed to screw it up. I’ve tried linking to photos on Flickr and also using the attachment option. :eh:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

If your pics are on Flickr....

Bottom right hand corner, there's an arrow icon.

Click that, Select BBCode and just C&P the whole thing straight into your post.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Thats very nice mate, congrats
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Lol awesome!!! Didn't see that coming at all! Congratulations mate.
G.P

Post by G.P »

Nice one. Happy new bike day :thumbup: :thumbup:
Skub

Post by Skub »

]

It looks so tiny stuck in between the GSA and the Capo. :mrgreen:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
IOU0

Post by IOU0 »

Good looking bike there.
That seat sets it apart.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Beancounter wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:53 pm
Fuck knows what I’m doing wrong, KFB even gave me idiot guide instructions and I’ve still managed to screw it up. I’ve tried linking to photos on Flickr and also using the attachment option. :eh:
Lol, but did he aim that at Beany level idiot or just normal level idiot ;)

Even the auld bog hopper managed to sort them out :mrgreen:
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

Happy New Bike day. :thumbup:
Blundering about trying not to make too much of a hash of things.
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Bigyin wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:09 pm
Beancounter wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:53 pm
Lol, but did he aim that at Beany level idiot or just normal level idiot ;)

Even the auld bog hopper managed to sort them out :mrgreen:
Meh, my talents lie elsewhere. :p

However, thank you both KFB and Skub. :thumbup:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Nice!
Enjoy!
non quod, sed quomodo
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

The only triple I’ve ridden before was m00c0w’s Sprint ST. I thought it was a nice bike but I remember the engine didn’t seem interesting. It was rapid (for me) but, well, a bit forgetful. The MT-09 is so different thankfully. :)

On Pembrey, I’m hoping to make an appearance but it’s not looking likely. Step-son’s birthday is the middle of the following week and my OH is still sorting out which weekend we’ll have the kids. Fingers crossed, especially as I have a bike more suited to a track day now. :D
Rockburner wrote: Nice!
Enjoy!
Went past Box today, Ryka’s was open and it was Summer-Sunday-busy. I’m hoping that means that Newland’s Corner or Bury Hill is open now if you fancy a wee bimble. :)
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Beancounter wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:41 pm
The only triple I’ve ridden before was m00c0w’s Sprint ST. I thought it was a nice bike but I remember the engine didn’t seem interesting. It was rapid (for me) but, well, a bit forgetful. The MT-09 is so different thankfully. :)

On Pembrey, I’m hoping to make an appearance but it’s not looking likely. Step-son’s birthday is the middle of the following week and my OH is still sorting out which weekend we’ll have the kids. Fingers crossed, especially as I have a bike more suited to a track day now. :D
Rockburner wrote: Nice!
Enjoy!
Went past Box today, Ryka’s was open and it was Summer-Sunday-busy. I’m hoping that means that Newland’s Corner or Bury Hill is open now if you fancy a wee bimble. :)
Might try to get the K fired up next weekend, so will let you know!
non quod, sed quomodo
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

On Friday I picked up my new Nitron shock and serviced/set up fork for the MT-09.
Nitron (Boxed) (Medium).jpg
Nitron (Boxed) (Medium).jpg (59.25 KiB) Viewed 2060 times
Fitting the fork was a doddle but the shock was a bit of a pig and took way longer than it did on my 1150GSA. The MT-09 has a linkage assembly with the rear/lower shock mount sitting in a recess in the swingarm and the front/upper mount resting underneath the fuel tank whereas my previous bike have simply had the shock mount to the swingarm and then run vertically to the frame. Still, the workshop manual says it should only be four bolts to remove the old and in with the new and no need to remove anything - which isn't quite true.
MT-09 - Shock Removal (Manual) (Small).jpg.png
MT-09 - Shock Removal (Manual) (Small).jpg.png (215.15 KiB) Viewed 2060 times
Had to remove the rear master cylinder to get access to one of the shock assembly bolts and had to lift the tank up to get access to the upper mounting bolt which in turn meant removing various fairing trim panels. Still nothing too taxing. The difficulty came when trying to the shock in squarely as there really isn't a lot of room. I also found that replacing the bolts in a set order made it a lot easier to get the whole assembly in place.

Also fitted R&G crash bungs and GB Racing engine case covers:
MT-09 - LHS (Medium).jpg
MT-09 - LHS (Medium).jpg (93.31 KiB) Viewed 2060 times
A big thanks to Darren at MCT. He did warn me that it would take around 5/6 weeks to get my shock in from Nitron and that once he had the shock I should then send him my fork for setting up. Darren called me on Friday morning to say that my shock had arrived and to apologise that he whilst he was still happy to do my fork, he was going on holiday for two weeks. I was going to see my folks in Newmarket that day and I asked if it would be okay to drop my fork in rather than send it by post, appreciating that it would be another three weeks before I got everything back. Darren was happy for me to drop my fork in but actually said if I had half an hour to spare he would do the fork for me whilst I waited. Traffic meant I got to Darren's an hour after planned but true to his word he set up my fork as promised.

First ride on the new suspension was today and was only into the office at Canary Wharf with a few roundabouts for fun. First impressions are excellent, I'm very happy with how the bike handles now, i.e. without the previous hinge between the wheels. I'm still getting used to how quickly this bike drops into turns compared to the GSA and Caponord but it's a lot more fun and confidence inspiring now.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

That's ace mate... i too found the shock somewhat challenging on the XSR. It's all just down to technique really as you've worked out.

Not had my forks touched, what did Darren do then ?