£3K Electrically Assisted MTB

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: £3K Electrically Assisted MTB

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Wasn't using Turbo anymore than normal, it ran out because I took it out only half charged, it was only about quarter of a mile from home so it wasn't a big deal, just slow and unpleasant after the usual power assistance.

The only specific maintenance I do is keep the area between the front sprocket and motor output clean with a 1" paint brush, the seal here is rubber so don't use WD40 anywhere near it as it will perish the rubber seal. Apart from keeping it clean and dry I don't think there's much else you can do, the battery cover on mine seems to be a bit of a dirt trap, so I take that off and have a regular clean round there.

I don't think I'd ride it through deep water, but I'm happy splashing through puddles on it, so long as the motor isn't submerged I think you'll be okay.
I want to do loads of miles on it and treat it quite hard while it's in warranty, so that if it fails the warranty will fix it - Bosch motors come with 2 years warranty that's renewed if the motor is replaced by Bosch.
The failures I've read about seem to be bearing failures, there's a chap made a business out of replacing the bearings in them
Honda Owner
matt

Post by matt »

First ride on mine today, Canyon spectral on,what a beast. 30 degree heat ,did just under 50km with over 1200metres of climbing. Ran out of battery about a mile from the end which is almost all down hill. Very pleased so far.
flicker

Post by flicker »

Now that looks very nice, and the scenery too
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

flicker wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:20 am Now that looks very nice, and the scenery too
oi, stop it !

I've got enough with this lot... not you too !
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:24 am
flicker wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:20 am Now that looks very nice, and the scenery too
oi, stop it !

You feeling in a bit of a minority? :D
matt

Post by matt »

Absolutely loving this Canyon , been out this morning for a steady ride on Cannocks off piste trails,mainly in eco mode , with a little trail and boost now and again.
27.5 miles ,810 metres elevation and got home with 43% battery remaining.😎
flicker

Post by flicker »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:24 am
oi, stop it !

Shan't :P

I'm really liking the way Specialized are going with theirs, not concentrating on big power, more keeping the weight down and making it seamless. £12k plus is a bit salty though :lol:
matt

Post by matt »

I was out with a mate on his levo sl this morning,lovely bike.
The other bikes were - carbon turbo levo ,a cube e stereo ,and me on the Canyon.All great bikes , I enjoyed it much more than I usually do as I'm usually the only one without a motor!
formula400

Post by formula400 »

How this thread has got i tense.

My last day out I spent on this cube E MTB.

ImageUntitled by lewis wilson, on Flickr

Loved it. Getting a new bike but a normal one soon.
Might sell the SuperMoto and get an E MTB. Best of both worlds then.
CBR650r :mrgreen:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Had several tries on the Orbea E-bike of Couchies today at FoD.

I can't put into words how, well, errrm, average it is.

You try and launch, try and jump and WALLOP, it's like trying to jump an aircraft carrier. Bang, it hits the floor like it's been shot.

On a flat trail it cracks along nicely enough, but it's not an exciting bike to ride for a single second.

I'm afraid, i simply don't get them, i didn't ride it blinkered, i rode it with an open mind, but sheesh, just a no from me.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:40 pm Had several tries on the Orbea E-bike of Couchies today at FoD.

You try and launch, try and jump and WALLOP, it's like trying to jump an aircraft carrier. Bang, it hits the floor like it's been shot.

On a flat trail it cracks along nicely enough, but it's not an exciting bike to ride for a single second.

I'm afraid, i simply don't get them, i didn't ride it blinkered, i rode it with an open mind, but sheesh, just a no from me.
What a load of.....truth. Tbh my orbea forks are garbage which didn’t help but tbh after riding weeksys bike a couple of times I wish I had the fitness(I prob do) and the knee to ride a normal bike. Following weeksy downhill the ebike was hard work keeping up with the normal bike. I’m gonna reserve judgement till my forks are right but it’ll never feel as good as a normal bike
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Couchy wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:50 pm
weeksy wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:40 pm Had several tries on the Orbea E-bike of Couchies today at FoD.

What a load of.....truth. Tbh my orbea forks are garbage which didn’t help but tbh after riding weeksys bike a couple of times I wish I had the fitness(I prob do) and the knee to ride a normal bike. Following weeksy downhill the ebike was hard work keeping up with the normal bike. I’m gonna reserve judgement till my forks are right but it’ll never feel as good as a normal bike
Tough post to make and respect is massive for it. I'd love to have something nicer to say, but I'm struggling. It's a nice shade of red!!!
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

Is it meant to be like a normal bike? Don’t they have slightly different purposes? There’s many different types of bikes, different types of e-bikes etc

That’s what’s so great about having lots of choice?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Nordboy wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:27 pm

Is it meant to be like a normal bike? Don’t they have slightly different purposes? There’s many different types of bikes, different types of e-bikes etc

Fair point and maybe where I'm going wrong because of course I'll compare it to a manual bike.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Nordboy wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:27 pm

It’s difficult as it has the spec to do the same stuff, never bothered before today and tbh on a fast trail I wouldn’t take any other bike as it’s faster than even the fittest folk on a normal bike but of course it’s going to be. I still think it’s great and won’t or can’t have a normal bike so I’ve got the best bike for me 👍
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Yup, I’d agree with all that. My T-130 is way more involving, faster and exciting down a trail than my Powerfly.

My Powerfly is still fun, just not as much. :)
flicker

Post by flicker »

Couchy wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:50 pm What a load of.....truth. Tbh my orbea forks are garbage which didn’t help but tbh after riding weeksys bike a couple of times I wish I had the fitness(I prob do) and the knee to ride a normal bike. Following weeksy downhill the ebike was hard work keeping up with the normal bike. I’m gonna reserve judgement till my forks are right but it’ll never feel as good as a normal bike
I found out last month that there can be a gulf between a good set and an average set of forks and could feel the difference within the first few yards of leaving my house. The original set weren't budget more middle spec but were twangy and flexy with awful damping. The new set made a huge difference.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Personally I think an EMTB is a completely different thing to a clockwork bike, for me it feels closer to a small capacity trials motorcycle than a bicycle, but I only bought one so I could ride a powered bike on bridle ways legally.
Honda Owner
millemille

Post by millemille »

Semi-skilled middle aged man with unhealthy obsession for trying to drag bicycle into air off anything remotely resembling a bump is surprised that 50+lb bicycle with poorly set up suspension isn't very good.

In other news, water wet and fire hot....
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

millemille wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:32 am Semi-skilled middle aged man with unhealthy obsession for trying to drag bicycle into air off anything remotely resembling a bump is surprised that 50+lb bicycle with poorly set up suspension isn't very good.

In other news, water wet and fire hot....
Getting down the trail is where the fun is, that's what it's all about at somewhere like FoD, for me, the clckwork gets down qicker, easier and with more fun.