What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Horse

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:52 pm I landed on my shoulder...I was actually wearing my old Alpinestars jacket which has shoulder armour and presumably helped a bit. Apparebtpy heavy falls/impacts on the shoulder roll it too far back/forward and pop the end of the clavicle out.

We shall see. Eventually.
Should have stuck your arm out ;)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Not broken!

Lots of "hmmm" and "well that doesn't seem right" from the white haired consultant. Conferences with colleagues.

More x rays required! Might even score a CT scan although I'm holding out for an MRI. Fingers crossed.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:54 pm
Eventually.....what time did you get there? You'll be needing a Deliveroo before long!
I just got home, having arrived at 6.

3 sets of X rays, 2 sets of consultants, a few junior doctors and 2 nurses later they best they can do is "that's not right is it?". :lol:

Probably dislocated and I definitely can't lift my arm above shoulder high. See how it goes is the advice and wait to see if my mismatched collar bone locations sort themselves out. Bollox to the NHS says I! I'm going private first thing Monday. I can't even clap em now either.

I'll tell you what though. My kevlar jeans are pretty impressive! Being the sensible/boring sort of chap I am I decided that I should probably wear something tougher than the classic "greek islands holiday scooter crash" outfit of shorts and flip-flops. So I had my casual leather jacket which is actually my old (modified to be more casual) Alpinestars bike jacket and my kevlar PJM (sic) jeans. The jacket only had foam in the shoulders but the jeans have proper rubbery energy absorbing armour. I have a big scrape on my arm I got under the jacket due to it being too loose and the aforementioned collar bone. From a crash at <10mph.

I also went down really hard on my knee in gravel....the jeans shrugged it off completely. They're filthy but no damage and no injuries.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

I hope it's not an AC dislocation Daz, that'll be very painful for and you'll probably not feel right wearing an off the shoulder dress any more.

Geçmiş olsun.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:31 am
Count Steer wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:54 pm
Eventually.....what time did you get there? You'll be needing a Deliveroo before long!
I just got home, having arrived at 6.

3 sets of X rays, 2 sets of consultants, a few junior doctors and 2 nurses later they best they can do is "that's not right is it?". :lol:

Probably dislocated and I definitely can't lift my arm above shoulder high. See how it goes is the advice and wait to see if my mismatched collar bone locations sort themselves out. Bollox to the NHS says I! I'm going private first thing Monday. I can't even clap em now either.

I'll tell you what though. My kevlar jeans are pretty impressive! Being the sensible/boring sort of chap I am I decided that I should probably wear something tougher than the classic "greek islands holiday scooter crash" outfit of shorts and flip-flops. So I had my casual leather jacket which is actually my old (modified to be more casual) Alpinestars bike jacket and my kevlar PJM (sic) jeans. The jacket only had foam in the shoulders but the jeans have proper rubbery energy absorbing armour. I have a big scrape on my arm I got under the jacket due to it being too loose and the aforementioned collar bone. From a crash at <10mph.

I also went down really hard on my knee in gravel....the jeans shrugged it off completely. They're filthy but no damage and no injuries.
100% on the go private thing. It's one of the huge differences I've seen out here, if something isn't 'right', they will generally keep at you until they find out why/what/how and then sort it. I know the NHS is fab at trauma, but injuries where you can still mostly function (in their eyes) seem to get sorted in a much longer time :(

I'm a bit gutted that I can't quite do up my kevlar jeans!! LOL More so cos they would be way warmer than the Sainsbury's ones I'm wearing instead (although I always used to wear the sainsburys ones and they've survived a couple of road crashes - different pairs!! LOL).

The rubber type absorbing armour is what I now have in my jacket - I was sent some by a lovely person from here back when I was talking about getting back on a bike. I'm pretty sure I'd have had a very different injury if I'd had it in the jacket I crashed in into 2017 (no idea if it would have been better or worse mind!! LOL). Need to try and source some for my kevlar lined hoody for the summer :D :D

Hope you feel a little better this morning and that if you don't the private medics can sort it out on Monday x

PS - whatever physio they offer you in the future, try hard to get double!! I would not have the use of my right arm based on how much physio I'd have got in the uk (that was the prognosis of this operation by the surgeon that did the first one) - I know that you injury is totally different, but good and frequent physio is so important, and shoulders are sooooo complicated!! x
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:18 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:16 pm I'll be sure to let them know thats the injury I'd prefer :D
You should be able to feel if it's broken, broken rather than chipped or whatever. It's usually pretty obvs. Just run a finger over it.
TBF, mine was broken a lot and I just thought I'd 'bruised a nerve'!! LOL And the little finger where I broke each of the bones - I figured it was bruised cos I could still bend it :lol: :lol: :lol: No sense, no feeling, right??!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Horse wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:49 pm
Noggin wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:35 pm Best get an airbag vest thingy to go under your biker jacket for next time :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sadly, it probably would have made no difference at all :(

'Collar bone' is known as the biker's and horse rider's injury, from putting an arm out straight to break a fall. Something has to give, either wrist or collar bone.

Only way to avoid injury (or get a different one ;) ) is to do a break-fall roll.

GWS broken dude.
Well that's just peed all over my plans!! :lol: I've looking at them specifically to help protect my shoulder when I go back on track!! :roll: :roll: Oh well! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Just got the final email bill confirmation for my scooter journey. £9.

It cost me £11 for the garage->home taxi journey i did in the morning.

Nor sure that two quid saving was the best bargain.
Last edited by Mr. Dazzle on Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:10 am Just got the final email bill confirmation for my scooter journey. £9.

It cost me £11 for the garage->home journey i did in the morning.

Nor sure that two quid saving was the best bargain.
I've thought about trying them but still remember trying Boris bikes and finding they cost more than expected with a lot of hassle.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Noggin wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:40 am
Noggin wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:35 pm Best get an airbag vest thingy to go under your biker jacket for next time :lol: :lol: :lol:

'Collar bone' is known as the biker's and horse rider's injury, from putting an arm out straight to break a fall. Something has to give, either wrist or collar bone.

Only way to avoid injury (or get a different one ;) ) is to do a break-fall roll.

GWS broken dude.
Well that's just peed all over my plans!! :lol: I've looking at them specifically to help protect my shoulder when I go back on track!! :roll: :roll: Oh well! LOL
Apologies ;)

Oddly, direct impacts side-on to the shoulder are potentially a cause of spinal injuries.

Look carefully when choosing, some cover the shoulder area, others don't.

IMHO - from absolutely no evidence POV - if you're going to be riding, I don't think the extra coverage will do any harm, it might even help.

@Hot_Air is possibly the one to give you more airbag info.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I'm walking a dog. First time in 30+ years. A mate has gone away for weekend so we've got the dog. It's quite a laid back easy going thing. Mostly just lies there, walks, eats, shits.

Don't ask me what it is though, it's a brown one.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Horse wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:29 am
Noggin wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:40 am

GWS broken dude.
Apologies ;)

Oddly, direct impacts side-on to the shoulder are potentially a cause of spinal injuries.

Look carefully when choosing, some cover the shoulder area, others don't.

IMHO - from absolutely no evidence POV - if you're going to be riding, I don't think the extra coverage will do any harm, it might even help.

@Hot_Air is possibly the one to give you more airbag info.
I've read a lot of the posts in staying alive. I'll start proper research early next year as a friend here knows quite a lot too and I won't be trying track stuff till May at the very earliest!!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Plan today had been to go to the valley this afternoon (need to get a shower thingy to hold the shower head and a piece of pipe/tube for the bike). I also got really fed up with the draft through the outside wall last night. So went to the garage to get the insulation stuff I was given, and also my helmet so I could clean the visor!!

Looking out the window, the valley was full of cloud - not encouraging

So I insulated the outside wall - it ain't pretty but if it stops the freezing gale in the evening, I won't need to put the radiator on!! (Not the rad in the pic - that one won't be on till beginning of December :o )

Then went for a wander outside. The cloud had just about lifted

But to be honest I'm gonna use that awful S word and be sensible - I'm pretty tired after the riding yesterday and the roads aren't simple - and the 5th turn is always damp and cold. Just don't need to be too tired to do it right (probably on the way back!).

Just looked out again and the cloud has cleared completely in the valley but I'm gonna stick with the S word. Have plans to go see some friends tomorrow and that is down to the valley, along and back up again, so similar miles to yesterday. Whilst it is lush weather, I want to keep enjoying riding till the weather goes bad rather than ride when I shouldn't

Fuck - is this what old feels like?? :shock: :shock: Being sensible???? :shock: :cry: :cry:
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Noggin wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:08 pm
Fuck - is this what old feels like?? :shock: :shock: Being sensible???? :shock: :cry: :cry:
Consider the alternative - not being able to feel old :shock:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

slowsider wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:36 pm
True. Whilst I can still ride I can learn to deal with it. If I'm ever properly old and can't do stuff that makes me happy, I might wish I'd hit bend 5 fast on a cold morning!!!

But, not just yet! :lol: :lol:
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Noggin wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:37 pm
True. Whilst I can still ride I can learn to deal with it. If I'm ever properly old and can't do stuff that makes me happy, I might wish I'd hit bend 5 fast on a cold morning!!!

I guess that's tongue-in-cheek, but what if your bend 5 impact isnt terminal and simply fucks your 'good' shoulder? There are worse things than dying. :hmmm:
I've had limitations on what I can do since a traffic incident at the age of 13. Finding other things that make you happy is no great burden. Glass half full, an' all that. :thumbup:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

slowsider wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:50 pm
Noggin wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:37 pm

I guess that's tongue-in-cheek, but what if your bend 5 impact isnt terminal and simply fucks your 'good' shoulder? There are worse things than dying. :hmmm:
I've had limitations on what I can do since a traffic incident at the age of 13. Finding other things that make you happy is no great burden. Glass half full, an' all that. :thumbup:
It's mostly tongue in cheek to be fair. I never actually thought I'd get old, even though my grandmother died at 101 and I'm guessing my mother never will :roll:

It's more - if I get to not being able to ride, ski, fly, do anything fun, I would 'wish' I'd been terminal at bend 5 - TBF, I'd never actually hit any bend with the idea of not making it out because, as you say, there are few guarantees and I wouldn't do that anyway. I just really don't want to end up like my grandmother at 85, minimal vision, minimal hearing, minimal movement (osteoporosis crumbled her spine) and minimal quality of life. That is no way to live :(
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Mother is visiting today so:
House cleaned within an inch of its life (think @weeksy levels of cleanliness and up a notch). It's a little known fact that my Mums kitchen is used as a bench mark by Intel and AMD for their chip manufacturing clean rooms. Every year they visit her kitchen to do comparative cleanliness checks and every year they fail to meet her standards.

Lawn also mowed and now "relaxing" before the inspection.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
DW.

Post by DW. »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:10 pm Mother is visiting today so:
House cleaned within an inch of its life (think @weeksy levels of cleanliness and up a notch).
Didn't think such a level existed?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

When your pal gets stuck, you obviously go for the camera first :obscene-birdiedoublered: :obscene-birdiedoublered:

Sand is so soft the bike sinks and once stalled, you're fucked if it's kickstart :D

He finally managed to kick it with his left leg ;)
IMG_20211009_115805.jpg
IMG_20211009_115805.jpg (1.86 MiB) Viewed 163 times
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Nothing.

Walking to the kitchen gets me heavy breathing, if I have a coughing fit half way I get an oxygen debt and have to sit on the floor.

Not a happy bunny. It's been 7 days and the NHS reckons I'll be fine by Tuesday.