Please protest.

Anything you like about motorbikes
The Spin Doctor

Re: Please protest.

Post by The Spin Doctor »

hilldweller wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:02 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:54 pm LOL... or, to rephrase that... we all have to agree with you or you go teddy hoying...
You must have a Phd in rephrasing.
Nope, an MSc in science with a module in logical thinking.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

hilldweller wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:59 pm Ah, the forum that died.

I was introduced to it by Yorick as "it's a bit dead but worth a look".

He was right, he didn't say it was terminal though.

I've not had my money's worth here yet but it's looking like a place where if you don't say exactly what a clique want you to say they jump in big time.
Ahh, the old clique thing ....... you might as well say "i am not paranoid but everyone is out to get me"

When you are the only one with a differing view have you ever considered that you might be the one that has missed the point. Its not the first time its happened as you seem to have a completely "alternative" view to racing as most of the rest do as well as a few other things. I saw this thread when you posted it and deliberately didnt reply in case i was accused of " there you go again picking at me" as i thought you were way off the mark. 4 pages later and its not just me. I am quite sure i ride like a twat at times but as i have already pointed out to you in the past few months if you flock to the known "biker" haunts and roads then expect to be targeted, penalised and slated by the general public.

I dont get targeted as i avoid places like Devils Bridge and Matlock Bath especially when there are travel restrictions in place. I have been to both but purely out of curiosity as i live at the other end of the country, if i lived near them i would avoid them like plague. I recently took a mate up a route that ended at Hunstanton on the North Norfolk Coast. I didnt go near the seafront and instead looped around a side road and away on smaller roads that only local "bikers" use rather than the masses that use the main roads to get to and from a haunt as it was a place bikes were starting to gather again when social distancing should have been a big thing.

A small proportion of dickheads will bring measures down on the masses....both in speed limits and now lockdown regulations for comparison. A protest against this is support for the dickheads who brought it on in the first place
Horse

Post by Horse »

Bigyin wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:59 pm When you are the only one with a differing view have you ever considered that you might be the one that has missed the point.
To be fair, despite HD's 'CBA' response to my suggestion, he did pay up for crash info. That's more than I've ever done :)

I have what I call 'the firing squad' principle - just because you're outnumbered, doesn't mean that you're wrong every time. I was told once that 'my views were not representative of UK rider trainers'. I was both pleased and pissed off at that because I knew they weren't. There's no point writing to DSA (as it was then) saying "Everything's OK, carry on" when, actually, it wasn't.

But that doesn't mean that you're right every time.
Bigyin wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:59 pm A small proportion of dickheads will bring measures down on the masses....both in speed limits and now lockdown regulations for comparison. A protest against this is support for the dickheads who brought it on in the first place
The bend has drawn attention, with its plethora of signs and markings. But I would think that long lay-by is probably a serious concern. Obviously a popular' touristy' stopping point, so vehicles slowing and turning in (or across and in), and probably then pedestrians crossing for a unique (by the thousand) photo opportunity. Not ideal for traffic passing at 60 mph.

Have a look here:
https://goo.gl/maps/YYTV2vdtgj2pfHLY6

Not much of a sight line to a bike approaching @ 60mph, especially with traffic heading away. It would take, what, 5 seconds to walk across? You would have to see the bike before it's 140 metres away and accurately assess its speed.

As you said, BY, I avoided' biker' roads. This end of the country, A339 / Alton / A287 is renowned for bikers and casualties. I would deliberately choose other roads (one parallel to the 339). Oddly, since those roads are often used regularly by the same riders, they get caught out by bends they may well have been around many times before.

Bends*, in a way, are a bit like that old line on terrorists: they only have to get lucky once, we have to be wary all the time.

* And Covid-19? :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
cheb

Post by cheb »

For every Wegener there's an Icke. :clap:
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Bigyin wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:59 pm A protest against this is support for the dickheads who brought it on in the first place
Well that could not be more opposite to my view. I can see your logic, stop the dick heads and there we agree but I think the proper way is to target dick heads with the Police not target the whole population. And this exposes a bigger problem that is costing lives, the government has cut the Police to the bone and they haven't got the manpower now as is being shown by all the riots and protests right now.

Only two weeks to the racing.
Brian
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

cheb wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:48 am For every Wegener there's an Icke. :clap:
He's a case, isn't he !

But filter out the lizzards and his view on "old money" ruling the world is surely right.
Brian
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Horse wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:53 am To be fair, despite HD's 'CBA' response to my suggestion, he did pay up for crash info. That's more than I've ever done :)
That is a sad tale, I spotted an accident locally and realised is was a niece of mine, three teenage girls, teenage boy driver. 2015 and my nice is still in a hospital bed. The report told me less than was in the local papers at the time. A typical teenage boy accident.
Brian
Horse

Post by Horse »

hilldweller wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:04 am but I think the proper way is to target dick heads with the Police not target the whole population.
Unfortunately, that targeting is often complained about too. Such as widespread use of camera vans and the mass stop-checks that were common in Wales a few years ago, with the attitude (and I'm not quoting police or trying to put words in their publicity releases) of "Go and be a dickhead somewhere else".

How would you prefer the dickheads were targeted?
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Bigyin wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:59 pmI am quite sure i ride like a twat at times
Can't say I am entirely impervious to the odd moment of twatitude either ;)

but as i have already pointed out to you in the past few months if you flock to the known "biker" haunts and roads then expect to be targeted, penalised and slated by the general public.
We share the roads, and we have to accept that.

A protest against this is support for the dickheads who brought it on in the first place
There was a similar protest about the Oakdene Cafe in Kent when the police put an 'exclusion zone' in place because it had become a scene for 'stunting' - aka showing off.

And before that protests about a bike-only road closure near the Ace which was designed to prevent cars and bikes doing a 'loop' for the purposes of burn-outs and do-nuts outside the local hospital.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Horse

Post by Horse »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:56 am
And before that protests about a bike-only road closure near the Ace which was designed to prevent cars and bikes doing a 'loop' for the purposes of burn-outs and do-nuts outside the local hospital.
Ike & Tina Turner wrote:Motorcycle not allowed in it
Nothing new ;)
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Horse wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:43 am How would you prefer the dickheads were targeted?
I like the Derbyshire approach with their Fireblade. I got chatting to the copper once as he was filling at Sainsbury's, he said it was a good day, there was nobody to scrape up so far. He even invited me to sit on his bike and have my picture taken. Biker looking after bikers, nice.

That approach at least gets some education instead of just a piece of paper through the letterbox.
Brian
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:56 am And before that protests about a bike-only road closure
The other day I spotted an Austrian pass closed to bikes in the summer season. The headline was "Closed to bikes, open to noisy sports cars".

Now and again I've spotted the real hatred on the faces of people as noisy bikes go past. I can get a wave or a smile out of them.
Brian
Horse

Post by Horse »

hilldweller wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:49 pm
Horse wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:43 am How would you prefer the dickheads were targeted?
I like the Derbyshire approach with their Fireblade. I got chatting to the copper once as he was filling at Sainsbury's, he said it was a good day, there was nobody to scrape up so far. He even invited me to sit on his bike and have my picture taken. Biker looking after bikers, nice.

That approach at least gets some education instead of just a piece of paper through the letterbox.
I think you're right that delayed action doesn't link offence to penalty*, whereas a roadside bollocking might achieve something. Sadly, even that will only reach a few riders, so might only have limited effect.

* When I was in Dubai, someone said that speeding fines are charged once a year, effectively as you tax your vehicle for the year ahead you also have last year's fines added on. No idea whether it's true.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Horse wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:27 pm
I think you're right that delayed action doesn't link offence to penalty*, whereas a roadside bollocking might achieve something. Sadly, even that will only reach a few riders, so might only have limited effect.

* When I was in Dubai, someone said that speeding fines are charged once a year, effectively as you tax your vehicle for the year ahead you also have last year's fines added on. No idea whether it's true.
It was true 25 years ago, probably still is.
Honda Owner
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Horse wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:27 pm * When I was in Dubai, someone said that speeding fines are charged once a year, effectively as you tax your vehicle for the year ahead you also have last year's fines added on. No idea whether it's true.
If you can't pay do they chop off your right hand/foot ?
Brian
Horse

Post by Horse »

hilldweller wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:50 pm
Horse wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:27 pm * When I was in Dubai, someone said that speeding fines are charged once a year, effectively as you tax your vehicle for the year ahead you also have last year's fines added on. No idea whether it's true.
If you can't pay do they chop off your right hand/foot ?
No idea. Google it and let us know?
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

hilldweller wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:54 pm
Now and again I've spotted the real hatred on the faces of people as noisy bikes go past. I can get a wave or a smile out of them.
It's not really a surprise when you consider that for much of the year they're living next to the start finish straight at Donnington with constant racing going on. (at least that is what it feels like).
non quod, sed quomodo
Horse

Post by Horse »

hilldweller wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:49 pm

In the Trumpet thread:
Nidge wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:32 pm
Had a nice chat with a traffic cop (usually a bike cop but was confined to a 5 series on the day) who spent about an hour talking bikes and banter with us, telling us they had to be seen to police the road but not particularly interested in nicking anyone not blatantly taking the piss- good policing and good PR IMO

Falcoholic

Post by Falcoholic »

hilldweller wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:48 pm Here is one of the killers, in the picture it looks a nice sweeper but roll down the road a bit !

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.25670 ... 312!8i6656
The two SLOW road markings being close together would tell me to back it off a bit. Or maybe back it off a lot. Maybe it's just me

The holes in the wall along with the hasty repairs to the fences suggest a few flks have been caught out there
Horse

Post by Horse »

Falcoholic wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:52 am
hilldweller wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:48 pm Here is one of the killers, in the picture it looks a nice sweeper but roll down the road a bit !

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.25670 ... 312!8i6656
The two SLOW road markings being close together would tell me to back it off a bit. Or maybe back it off a lot. Maybe it's just me

The holes in the wall along with the hasty repairs to the fences suggest a few flks have been caught out there
Even the bend chevron has been clattered!

https://goo.gl/maps/2S2GLR7LcZT2DpGD6