LAverda ride report

Anything you like about motorbikes
rodbargee

LAverda ride report

Post by rodbargee »

Just a quick impression of what a bike designed in. the late 70's is really like now,

Had the day to myself today so decided to go for a gentle ride out on the Lverda it's been a couple of days since Ive ridden it, One of its foibles seems to be a clutch that sticks on after a day or so laid up. Easy to repeat the opening scene from American Graffiti as the hapless student almost stacks his scooter by letting go of the clutch and is dragged towards the window of the diner as it takes off again. Luckily I was aware that it might do this so was ready for it. There must be an easyier way of freeing the clutch without trying to bump it off in a high gear or jamming it into second when started. anyway freed off and so with Full a tank of fuel and a trip on the speedo refusing to zero I tried to memorise the Odometer. and set off towards Helmsley.

Its a good pull up to clay bank on the B1257 but a nice stretch with easy bends it pulls very well over about 3-4K it had nowhere near the torque of the ZZR1400. but still impressive none the less. comfy seat for moderate journeys but quite vibey, motor wise, the big bars give plenty of leverage for what is a big lump of bike. it holds its lines but will follow poor surfaces, tram lining if allowed to, White lines induce a wiggle that so far has always sorted itself out.

Ear plugs are essential. I have got used to the righthand gearchange, for considered riding, but a reflex reaction wouldn't I dont think produce the right reaction yet. Muscle memory of the last 30 years of Jap bikes would i'm sure produce braking effort on the gear lever and down changes on the rear brake! I've heard bad things about the crossover kits putting the gear lever on the left, I'd Ideally try a bike with one on before unloading the cash they are shockingly expensive, as is just about everything else for it, New "layed and sprayed" road surfacing on the run in to Helmsley not very pleasant, also a virtually stationary road sweeper to negotiate on a bend. Least i think it was moving, just not quite fast enough,

A cup of socially distanced tea and a chat with a guy on a recent ZZR1400 who after telling me ALL!! about it, asked me if the Laverda was a two stroke!! Time to move on, Off to thirsk. it really cruises happily at 60 ->80 much over 80 and it all gets a little vague at the front it never quite shakes its head but its there in the background (Tyre pressures are supposedly 31 front and 34 rea)r i'd be interested to see if a few more PSI would help, perhaps not if its that loose at high speed . it certainly doesn't need hauling out of bends it flows nicely. it is lots of fun to muscle it through a sucsession of bends and it rewards you choosing a line. a Poke round Teasdale KTM emporium followed, a chat with a bloke from Pontefract whose Super duke had died outside the showroom, Battery oxidition on the terminal. Brushed up and he was off. Then a blast home on the Northallerton road. and a less than confidence inspiring higher speed test on the A19. Vague again over 80 but still pulling like a train. despite new MOT and recent service I may investigate the head bearing and shock set up, air adjustable at the back but they're hard. and it feels ok at the front but I'm no expert.

So all in all still very happy, it is after all 38 years old, and not showing it too badly,

I'd reccomend one if you like the hairy chested riding characteristics.

GuzziPaul

Re: LAverda ride report

Post by GuzziPaul »

For freeing the clutch I can suggest rollig the front wheel up to a wall sticking in 2nd and with the clutch lever pulled in starting it up. Works on CB900 Hondas and DT175s. Having a wall there stops the bike hopping forward and potentially falling uver while you've got your foot under the gear lever.
What tyres are you running? They looking fairly new, a lot of Guzzi riders recommend BT45s but I'm using Michelin Pilot Active at 2 and 2.3 bar on my Le Mans, they seem ok, not had my Knee down but there is very little chicken strip left and it's steady enough at speed.
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

rodbargee wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:15 pmHad the day to myself today so decided to go for a gentle ride out on the Laverda...
Is it possible to go for a "gentle" ride out on a Laverda? :D
Blundering about trying not to make too much of a hash of things.
G.P

Post by G.P »

I was thinking tyres and head bearings too. PArt of the vagueness may also down to the big difference in riding position to the ZZR14 where your weight is over the bars.
Lovely bike :thumbup:
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

gentle ride perhaps not purposeful deffo I had to stop and turn the bugger off the other day to let a horse go by it went apeshit at the thunerous exhaust!
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I think you'll find the vague feeling is normal for bikes of that era, certainly vague is a good description of my Z1170s handling, then again vague is better than scary, which best describes XS1100s.
Honda Owner
Skub

Post by Skub »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:29 pm I think you'll find the vague feeling is normal for bikes of that era, certainly vague is a good description of my Z1170s handling, then again vague is better than scary, which best describes XS1100s.
From my time owning Z1 and GS1000,etc,that's what I recall too. Any cornering action over 90mph requires one's attention/dedication.Even flat out in a straight line could also have yer arse going from a sixpence to a bin lid. :lol:

My Z1 fucked me off at 120 odd for having the temerity to change lanes and hit a cat's eye.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

found the pic of the bike before I set off

rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

Skub wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:44 pm
Julian_Boolean wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:29 pm I think you'll find the vague feeling is normal for bikes of that era, certainly vague is a good description of my Z1170s handling, then again vague is better than scary, which best describes XS1100s.
From my time owning Z1 and GS1000,etc,that's what I recall too. Any cornering action over 90mph requires one's attention/dedication.Even flat out in a straight line could also have yer arse going from a sixpence to a bin lid. :lol:

My Z1 fucked me off at 120 odd for having the temerity to change lanes and hit a cat's eye.
mate that goes touring with us had an evil handling z1b in 1975it went into a nonrecoverable slapper on the M1 in the outside lane dead straight down hill just before you get to Sheffield he ended up getting spat off at around 90 it started as you say at around 120 he ended up in the central reservation when he stopprd sliding he just rolled to his right traffic everywhere. one bloke who stopped remarked I saw you weaving down the road like a lunatic (as though he could have done something about it)! lucky to walk away from it! wore through the chin bar on his bell helmet.
Skub

Post by Skub »

I wore through my left knee. When I stood up the tendon snapped like a stick of twisted celery. 3 months in a cast.
I started wearing knee protection after that. :lol:
Walt Whitman
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Skub wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:45 am I wore through my left knee. When I stood up the tendon snapped like a stick of twisted celery. 3 months in a cast.
I started wearing knee protection after that. :lol:
:o :sick:
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

alarming the lack of protective gear in those days, my pal wore only jeans a tee shirt and a RAFsheepskin flying jacket and trainers the bell helmet saved his chin badly bruised but that was about it luck in retrospect I was only wearing collery wellies with steel toecaps and a ww2 american combat jscket (I was much more into trials than road bikes in those days) I binned i big time when I got flung off the trials bike trying to keep up with a MX Bike and hit a large bank of earth. cost me a year off work and six months in Hospital All the ligaments in the left knew fubarred and a badly broken Arm so non weightbearing in those days meant ai was in a bed till the leg healed Post Op.
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

rodbargee wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:22 pm alarming the lack of protective gear in those days, my pal wore only jeans a tee shirt and a RAFsheepskin flying jacket and trainers the bell helmet saved his chin badly bruised but that was about it lucky in retrospect.I was only wearing collery wellies with steel toecaps and a ww2 american combat jscket (I was much more into trials than road bikes in those days) I binned it big time when I got flung off the trials bike trying to keep up with a MX Bike and hit a large bank of earth. cost me a year off work and six months in Hospital All the ligaments in the left knew fubarred and a badly broken Arm so non weightbearing in those days meant I was in a bed till the leg healed, Post Ops
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I went to the Bol'd'Or in 1986 on a CB900, my riding gear, jeans, trainers, leather jacket and an FM Crash Helmet, luggage was a tent and a sleeping bag, I made it back, the CB didn't after one of it's cam chains snapped on the way back (it had done mega miles and probably had very little maintenance)
Honda Owner
Skub

Post by Skub »

rodbargee wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:22 pm alarming the lack of protective gear in those days
Don't forget,riders in the UK weren't legally obliged to wear a helmet until 1973.I started in 71 and mostly wore a lid because it came with my first bike,but it fitted like a bucket!

There was a whole culture of nonchalance with regard to 'safety'. I have good mates from that era who never considered wearing gloves while riding and only very recently have adopted some articles of protection that most wouldn't throw a leg over a bike without.

A modern day rider would be horrified at this lack of self regard,but it's just how it was. The whole thing of judging the past using the present's rules doesn't really work in any context.
Walt Whitman
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:28 pm I went to the Bol'd'Or in 1986 on a CB900, my riding gear, jeans, trainers, leather jacket and an FM Crash Helmet, luggage was a tent and a sleeping bag,
Me and the wife did similar down to St Tropez in the early 80s on my first L e Mans, jeans leather jacket Kickers boots and no waterproofs . Once at the camp site I would ride to the beach or into town without a helmet in just shorts and a t shirt and my wife in a short skirt and T shirt but she wore a helmet. I thought about this last Friday when I was sweating my bollocks off riding to Southwold in full two piece leathers. I was so hot it was effecting my concentration. I'm sure my primary safety would be much better if a was in normal jeans and a lightweight jacket.
Skub

Post by Skub »

For me,there has to be a balance.

Riding bikes is primarily for fun,not primarily about safety,but I'm not totally daft,so safety is a consideration.

If it's too warm for loads of protective gear,I'll ride in what is comfortable,I may also temper my riding to make my own luck.

I didn't start riding to be safe,so everything else from that point in my rationale is trying for the balance.
Walt Whitman
Druid

Post by Druid »

I'm not as old as Skub so crash helmets have always been a legal requirement for me, but apart from that safety was not really a consideration. My first set of riding kit was a US army combat jacket, jeans and German army paratroop boots. I was mainly concerned with weather protection rather than crash protection.

I'm still quite cavalier about safety kit. I have an open face helmet, and often ride in jeans, sometimes in a t-shirt. Like Skub I moderate my riding but I know from experience that it still bloody hurts when you fall off, even at low speed.