Please protest.

Anything you like about motorbikes
The Spin Doctor

Re: Please protest.

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Dodgy knees wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:26 pm I know this road very well. Don't know any details but would imagine the fatality was something to do with a sheep or the lay by. The 2 sharper corners are not bad at all, both see thru so probably stone or fluid on the road.
What does surprise me is the r/hander coming back down towards the school. Fast with a barrier you dont want to go through. Care and attention definitely required.
Most cornering fatalities result from the rider running wide on a left-hander and hitting an oncoming vehicle.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
The Spin Doctor

Beancounter wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:23 pm
hilldweller wrote:
Here is one of the killers, in the picture it looks a nice sweeper but roll down the road a bit !

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.25670 ... 312!8i6656
You say it looks like a nice sweeper but the chevron board suggests otherwise.
The chevron is also outlined with a hi-vis yellow border to make it easier to see.

There's also a hazard warning sign on a hi-vis background (which means they want you to see it) There's also SLOW painted on the road twice (one marking is on a contrasting background) which implies that the speed that you THINK is right 'just now' is going to be too quick in a moment's time.

Quite a bit of information it's NOT a nice sweeper.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Beancounter wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:23 pm
hilldweller wrote:
Here is one of the killers, in the picture it looks a nice sweeper but roll down the road a bit !

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.25670 ... 312!8i6656
You say it looks like a nice sweeper but the chevron board suggests otherwise.
Not to mention the twisty road signs on both sides of the road.
non quod, sed quomodo
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Well I got it totally wrong folks.

When I saw "Rev To The Limit" I assumed this was a bikers' forum, silly me, it's for sewing machine enthusiasts, how fast can you run up a double bed duvet ?

When I posted "please stop them putting a 40 mph speed limit on a nice safe rural road" I knew a load of bikers would be outraged and duly protest. Bikers would never support speed limits of any kind. Bikers apply the appropriate speed at all times.

So get back to that duvet, sorry I disturbed you all. If I caused any of you to miss The Great British Sewing Bee, fear not, you can catch up on iPlayer.
Brian
Horse

Post by Horse »

Just because you don't like the response, don't be a tw@t :wave:
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
kendo57

Post by kendo57 »

hilldweller wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:54 am Well I got it totally wrong folks.

When I saw "Rev To The Limit" I assumed this was a bikers' forum, silly me, it's for sewing machine enthusiasts, how fast can you run up a double bed duvet ?
Still bikers , just got old and ̶g̶r̶u̶m̶p̶y̶ sensible.
Druid

Post by Druid »

kendo57 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:22 pm

The two things are inextricably linked. The question is did we get old because we got sensible, or vice versa.
I've always been grumpy though
Horse

Post by Horse »

kendo57 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:22 pm

Actually, to be honest, I'm not a biker any longer (actually, I never was, I was a 'motorcyclist'), as I sold my final bike a month ago. My balance is FUBARd, I can't walk in a straight line, let alone stay on anything with just two wheels. [Quite fancy one of those CanAm trikes - ironically there's one in the layby just along in streetview on the soon to be 40 road].

However, I had 40 years of surviving riding.
Last edited by Horse on Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Druid wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:38 pm The question is did we get old because we got sensible
Many times I think it's a case of "got lucky".

I remember one day many years ago. I used to visit a customer by car or bike depending on what I was carrying. This day it was car. I was on the lovely road near Chatsworth going towards Baslow. Damp. On an almost straight bit and the car wriggled all over the place. Diesel. Had I been biking that day I'd have been in the undergrowth via a substantial fence.

A silly one. I came to some lights, put my right leg down as usual. Tried to put my left leg down and couldn't. My boot lace was stuck in the foot peg. Had I had to put my left leg down for some reason I'd have been down, with my leg trapped.

Can't beat a bit of luck.
Brian
Horse

Post by Horse »

Sometimes you make your own luck. If you'd made sure you didn't have flappy laces, it wouldn't have been a problem. The time it happened to me was loose waterproof overtrousers which caught on a footrest - and tore as I insisted that foot was going to reach the ground, and soon :clap: :oops: :lol:
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Horse wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:16 am Just because you don't like the response, don't be a tw@t :wave:
I see you attended The Genghis Khan school of diplomacy. It certainly lives up to it's reputation.

I failed the entry exam.
Brian
Horse

Post by Horse »

hilldweller wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:24 pm
Horse wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:16 am Just because you don't like the response, don't be a tw@t :wave:
I see you attended The Genghis Khan school of diplomacy. It certainly lives up to it's reputation.

I failed the entry exam.
Too far right wing radical? :lol: :wtf: :1 :think:

You accused us of sewing duvets, that's a pretty low insult ... I'd struggle to sew on a button.
The Spin Doctor

When I saw "Rev To The Limit" I assumed this was a bikers' forum
Nope, you got taken for task for a comment totally lacking in any insight into RIDING at the limit when you said:
If you can't agree "sneaky and dangerous" then I'm not bothered, I'm chatting on a bike forum
You then got a sensible explanation of how to set your speed for a bend, regardless of what the limit says.

And as for:
I see you attended The Genghis Khan school of diplomacy.
...if you can't take the heat, don't be the first to throw your knitting out of the pram...
silly me, it's for sewing machine enthusiasts, how fast can you run up a double bed duvet ?
:roll:
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:37 pm You then got a sensible explanation of how to set your speed for a bend, regardless of what the limit says.
And that is part of my exasperation. I made no comment about my riding. I made a general comment on a nasty bend that has recorded many accidents yet all of a sudden I am being lectured on how to ride/drive.

Your comment: "I'm not writing a crash investigations" pretty much sums up why bikers have been crashing on the same bends since Gottfried Daimler first stuck a motor between two wheels".

You completely take this out of context, I was responding to horse saying "Bends are neither sneaky nor dangerous.". If I had been writing a crash report I would have used "decreasing radius bend".
Brian
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Couchy wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:43 pm TBH motorcyclists are their own worst enemy with this, living near the Peak District the amount of nobbers who can’t take corners and have accidents is the reason we get lower limits and safety measures. One trip through the peaks on a bank holiday will have even the biggest biking fan thinking bikers are twats. The days of being able to ride how you want where you want aren’t as frequent as they used to be, you can still find places and times it just isn’t as easy and the law is pretty harsh when they do catch you having fun.
This, when we lived in Sheffield in 1992 I used to go out early if I wanted a decent run from Buxton to Matlock as any later and the road would be full of knob ends that were all over the place.
I'm also sure I'm partly responsible for all the speed limits and speed cameras on the A6 between Buxton and Matlock as I doubt if anyone living along that route enjoyed the sound of GSXR750 with race pipe at 06:00.
Honda Owner
Horse

Post by Horse »

hilldweller wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:06 pm And that is part of my exasperation. I made no comment about my riding.
Neither did I, IIRC. I know nothing about you or your riding.
hilldweller wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:06 pm
I was responding to horse saying "Bends are neither sneaky nor dangerous.".
Still true, they're neither :)

Although I'll allow a free pass if a sink hole appears while you're over it.
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Horse wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:30 pm

Go on, I'll bet your top party piece is "there is no such thing as an accident".
Brian
Horse

Post by Horse »

hilldweller wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:45 pm
Horse wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:30 pm
Go on, I'll bet your top party piece is "there is no such thing as an accident".
Wrong, actually. I see use of 'accident' as being the opposite of 'deliberate'. Although I'm happy look further and use lapse or violation if you want. A bit like slips, trips and falls Vs being pushed.

As I said: I know nothing about you. But you're happy to make assumptions about me :)
G.P

Post by G.P »

[mention]hilldweller[/mention] Didn't you ever venture into staying alive on TRC? !! :D :D

Once they've finished with you, its entirely probable that the thread will go on for several pages discussing who is the most rightest!

Make no mistake though, they are right :thumbup:

Horse

Post by Horse »

Not only can we say, supported by peer-reviewed literature, whether he's right, we could probably say what colour of right is appropriate, whether a refresher in traditional rightness might be beneficial, then for a surprise bonus give insight into newer views on being right.

NB red may be the fastest colour, but is it the rightest?