Peaslake (Surrey Hills) ride 24th August

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
Beancounter

Peaslake (Surrey Hills) ride 24th August

Post by Beancounter »

Who's keen?

Probably better to do a midweek ride because the main Walking Bottom car park will be quieter. Having said that, weekend rides are fine with me too, we just might have to park in a higher car park which means finishing the ride with a climb.

I was down there on Monday this week, first time in nearly three years and it's still an outstanding place to ride. A wide variety of trails packed into a small area. I normally focus on Holmbury Hill and Pitch Hill. The trails are natural, it's a sandy loam soil, they vary from flowy to technical (roots, no rocks), some have a few kickers (if you decide to take that particular line), some have bombholes. Pretty much everything has a well used chicken line or you have to deviate from the main line to do the feature. The ranger has, helpfully IMO, removed the second part of any doubles. Some trails have steep sections but if people are not in the mood we can avoid those trails. Everything I ride is rollable and I prefer to keep wheels on the ground.

A typical ride might cover 13.5 miles with elevation gain of 1,700ft (Strava numbers) covering 9 or 10 trails. Moving time for that was 2hr 11mins with an average speed of 6.2mph. I normally keep the uphill to tarmac because it's easier but that can be swapped for fire roads.

I can also provide a spare medium sized T-130 (assuming I can both that and my Trek Powerfly in the car - must check).
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Peaslake (Surrey Hills) ride

Post by weeksy »

Yup, me and my boy are in.

Even if the trails we do are not jumpy, we need at least 20-30 mins at a jumpy location for him please

I'll take the trails as tech as possible please. But a lack of gap jumps would be nice :)
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:02 am Yup, me and my boy are in.

Even if the trails we do are not jumpy, we need at least 20-30 mins at a jumpy location for him please
:thumbup: Doubles? How big?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Image2020-02-08_12-18-48 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

that big ? lol
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:09 am Image2020-02-08_12-18-48 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

that big ? lol
:shock: When did his balls turn to granite?!! :D
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I wish i knew, when he was about 10 i think. He's just got a complete lack of fear... sometimes a lack of respect too i must add, but mostly a lack of fear.
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Two trails that spring to mind are Northern Monkey and Fly Tipper. I've ridden NM but I take the non-jump line. I've never ridden FT because it's a pure jump line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4xhLhRcMkY - Northern Monkey trail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcqTX7YLK2I -55 seconds in is Northen Monkey (different camera POV). 1m 16s is Fly Tipper.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Count me in ...
I will probably be at the back ....
Docca

Post by Docca »

I'm thinking of going to Peaslake this week. I just hadn't appreciated how close it was.

Where would you recommend to park and what trails for a novice thats never been there and won't like jumps and too technical?
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Docca wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:33 pm I'm thinking of going to Peaslake this week. I just hadn't appreciated how close it was.

Where would you recommend to park and what trails for a novice thats never been there and won't like jumps and too technical?
I find the best place to park is Walking Bottom car park (officially I think it's called Hurtwood Car Park 2 and the entrance is off Walking Bottom) however if you're looking for the less technical trails, which are on Holmbury Hill, you might be better off parking in Car Park 1 "Holmbury Hill" which is just off Radnor Road. If you park here and stay on Holmbury Hill (so don't ride into Peaslake) you won't have to do the climb back up to your car. The trouble is, if you want to do Barry Knows Best which is arguably one of the funnest trails, you've got a slog at the other side.

Holmbury Hill is the place to start, the trails there aren't as technical or steep. Head for the viewpoint (up Radnor Road - it's a bitch of a climb at the start and then levels off - alternatively, if you're going to stay on Holmbury Hill you might be better off parking in Car Park 1 "Holmbury Hill").

Trailforks is a useful app and shows the trails colour coded (green/blue/black). The app can be used offline too.

Holmbury Hill trails:

Yoghurt Pots
Telegraph Road
I Should Coco
Jackie Brown
Barry Knows Best

None of the above should have anything too technical, a few roots maybe. BKB and Yoghurt Pots have a couple of bomb holes. BKB has a few kickers that are easily avoided. No doubles that I'm aware of.

None of the trails are signposted unfortunately so you need to use your nous. Tyre tracks are a big giveaway, you just need to work out if it's the entrance or exit of the trail.

When are you thinking of going?
Docca

Post by Docca »

Thanks Beany, that's incredibly helpful.

If you follow me back on strava you'll see where I ride.

Not sure when I'm going. It was going to be Friday, but that's looking unlikely now.
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Docca wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:48 pm Thanks Beany, that's incredibly helpful.

If you follow me back on strava you'll see where I ride.

Not sure when I'm going. It was going to be Friday, but that's looking unlikely now.
Coolio. Am following you back now. My ride from Monday this week starts from Walking Bottom car park and heads up to Holmbury Hill so will give you an idea of the route.

Let me know when you're heading there, if I can get there too I'm happy to join in.
formula400

Post by formula400 »

Oi oi beancounter, tried sending you a PM about tomorrow

But it’s stuck in my outbox
CBR650r :mrgreen:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

formula400 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:16 pm Oi oi beancounter, tried sending you a PM about tomorrow

That's because he's not seen it. Once he opens it it leaves your outbox. It's a quirk of the system, not a problem/issue.
formula400

Post by formula400 »

oh ok, good to know, I've sent him it again as well :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
CBR650r :mrgreen:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

formula400 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:47 pm oh ok, good to know, I've sent him it again as well :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
now you'll have 2 in your outbox :)
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

formula400 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:16 pm Oi oi beancounter, tried sending you a PM about tomorrow

Cheers mate, I’ve WhatsApp’d you about tomorrow. :thumbup:
Docca

Post by Docca »

I went to Peaslake for a dog walk with the family (also I could have a look-see for MTB). Parked in a very busy car park close to where there was a coffee/snack van (that wasn't the reason we parked there, just for reference).

Bottom of a massive incline that we slogged up and then it opened into a maze of stunning woodland trails. I'd be very keen to explore on the bike
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Docca wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:43 am I went to Peaslake for a dog walk with the family (also I could have a look-see for MTB). Parked in a very busy car park close to where there was a coffee/snack van (that wasn't the reason we parked there, just for reference).

Bottom of a massive incline that we slogged up and then it opened into a maze of stunning woodland trails. I'd be very keen to explore on the bike
I'm guessing you parked at Walking Bottom which is the main car park, there are some nice trails that finish there. If you take the left hand fork out of the fire road it's a nasty climb, the fire road going straight ahead (which eventually links to the other big car park and leads to the Pitch Hill viewpoint) isn't as bad.

Do you prefer weekends or weekdays?
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

I could be up for this :)