WSBK: Scott Redding to BMW in 2022

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
Yorick

Re: WSBK: Scott Redding to BMW in 2022

Post by Yorick »

Honda will be willing to pay top dollar, but who wants to ride them?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I'll give it a shot.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Just been thinking. He said a while ago that he ultimately wants to get back into Motogp.

Toprak is 24 is being chased my GP teams.
Scotty is only 4 years older and just as quick in WSB.

But going to BMW might kill any chances. Ducati might have found a seat for him if he wins WSB.

Hmmm
Skub

Post by Skub »

Yorick wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:23 pm Just been thinking. He said a while ago that he ultimately wants to get back into Motogp.

But going to BMW might kill any chances. Ducati might have found a seat for him if he wins WSB.

Hmmm
James Toseland speaks a lot of sense and as expected takes flack for those opinions. He says Ducati believe 100% that their bikes are championship winning machines. If the bike doesn't win the championship,then the rider isn't up to the job.

I think perhaps Scott Redding and in a similar way Dovi in Motogp,wanted the team to be a family and make the rider feel wanted. This is what Johnny Rea has with his team. Ducati don't care about any of that pandering to an employee's whims or wishes. Win the championship or look for another job. They value winning.

Honda used to be like that a while back,one of HRC's top dogs described riders like light bulbs,when one doesn't work,pull it out,throw it away and fit a new one.

So yeah,I agree. The move to BMW is a crazy move on lots of levels and one which almost certainly guarantees Redding will not return to Motogp on a Ducati. I don't see BMW stepping up to the premier class either.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
wull

Post by wull »

Seems logic in what you say except why take Bautista back? He couldn’t even get the job done and that’s with the obvious advantage prior to the rev change when the bike was stupidly quick in comparison to everything else.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Wull wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:06 pm Seems logic in what you say except why take Bautista back? He couldn’t even get the job done and that’s with the obvious advantage prior to the rev change when the bike was stupidly quick in comparison to everything else.
Maybe Ducati realised that his light weight was the magic?
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Yorick wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:11 pm
Wull wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:06 pm Seems logic in what you say except why take Bautista back? He couldn’t even get the job done and that’s with the obvious advantage prior to the rev change when the bike was stupidly quick in comparison to everything else.
Maybe Ducati realised that his light weight was the magic?
For once Yorick makes sense ;)

The Ducati was originally designed around a MotoGP style so small rider and light weight makes it work better in theory and seemed to when Alvaro first got on it. They tried with the other guys who were physically bigger, that didnt work so bring back the little riders.

As Skub said Ducati are well known for binning off riders other teams would probably keep and are always looking for the fastest rider, right now recently. Davies had a few seasons to try and make it work and even managed a supported team ride, Redding has had a season and a half but his personality and social media presence probably hasnt helped him.

Maybe Alvaro has been working out the front end grip issues that caused all of his crashes in the second half of the season he probably should have won the championship and finally mastered the Pirelli slicks while at HRC
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Yorick wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:23 pm Just been thinking. He said a while ago that he ultimately wants to get back into Motogp.

Hmmm
Who is chasing Toprak? We kept hearing that he'd be joining Yamaha as he visited the paddock in Austria but there's absoutely no-one has linked him with any team! Where's he going? He rode at the VR46 ranch in June but VR46 have more than enough riders already in Moto3 and Moto2 ready to take the step up. Morbidelli is off to Monster Yamaha with Fabio next season but with Petronas withdrawing title sponsorship from the "satellite" team next season and closing the Moto2 and Moto3 teams there's plenty of talent looking for seats that may or may not yet exist. Toprak is way down the list of riders that the MotoGP teams will be looking at - unless he brings massive sponsorship cash with him...........
wull

Post by wull »

I suppose we will have to wait and see but if he couldn’t get the job done even with the ridiculous advantage early on then I’d be very surprised he will now.

He crashes too much, he did after the rev change obviously having to ride much closer to the limit and even on the blade now how many times has he came off? I just can’t see it.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Wull wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:48 pm I suppose we will have to wait and see but if he couldn’t get the job done even with the ridiculous advantage early on then I’d be very surprised he will now.

He crashes too much, he did after the rev change obviously having to ride much closer to the limit and even on the blade now how many times has he came off? I just can’t see it.
Hiring any rider is a gamble,but perhaps Ducati are looking at the fact this has been the closest season and they smell the end of Rea's outright dominance. If Alvaro can stay on at least most of the time and enough of the other riders can take points off JR,then Ducati might win the championship?

I wonder what sort of money they've offered Johnny Rea,because I bet they have approached him at some stage,if not they're dafter than I thought.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

Realistically, Scotty had his chance in MotoGP and he's not going back. I suspect he knows this. I also suspect the move to BMW is more about the money than the bike. Ducati riders regularly complain the factory doesn't listen to them, but the V4R remains a race winning machine while the BMW you have to say isn't really on the same pace.

As for Toprak, WSB doesn't feature highly on the radar of GP talent spotters. He faces a tough choice, stay in WSB where he's got a top ride and doing well, or try and jump across to GP where he has no track record. Not many people have made that work and it's been the death of a number of careers.
wull

Post by wull »

He simply doesn’t want to go to Moto GP as he’d like to win WSBK on the R1 for his late father, simple as that and a good enough reason for anyone.

I hope he does it, I’m sick and tired of JR winning, I like the guy and there’s no denying his unbelievable ability to ride that bike but it’s been boring, not boring now, it’s been exciting and long may it continue.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Wull wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:41 pm He simply doesn’t want to go to Moto GP as he’d like to win WSBK on the R1 for his late father, simple as that and a good enough reason for anyone.

I hope he does it, I’m sick and tired of JR winning, I like the guy and there’s no denying his unbelievable ability to ride that bike but it’s been boring, not boring now, it’s been exciting and long may it continue.
And JR is the king of whingers. He had the best bike for many years.
When Bautista won a few, he got sponsored by Kleenex.
wull

Post by wull »

Yorick wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:00 pm
Wull wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:41 pm He simply doesn’t want to go to Moto GP as he’d like to win WSBK on the R1 for his late father, simple as that and a good enough reason for anyone.

And JR is the king of whingers. He had the best bike for many years.
When Bautista won a few, he got sponsored by Kleenex.

Yeah and I felt like he was starting again when he couldn’t keep up with Scott, iirc his words were “it’s embarrassing” obviously talking about the difference in speed down the start finish but I don’t think it’s that bad. Just get the job done and if you can’t then keep quiet. JR should have buggered off moons ago to GP, he says there were no deals but o don’t believe it. He’s got so use to winning that I don’t think he likes the thought of not.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

He gets asked questions by interviewers, he can't exactly say nothing. One man's embarrassing is another man's honesty.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

lostboy wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:53 am

Hmmm
Who is chasing Toprak? We kept hearing that he'd be joining Yamaha as he visited the paddock in Austria but there's absoutely no-one has linked him with any team! Where's he going? He rode at the VR46 ranch in June but VR46 have more than enough riders already in Moto3 and Moto2 ready to take the step up. Morbidelli is off to Monster Yamaha with Fabio next season but with Petronas withdrawing title sponsorship from the "satellite" team next season and closing the Moto2 and Moto3 teams there's plenty of talent looking for seats that may or may not yet exist. Toprak is way down the list of riders that the MotoGP teams will be looking at - unless he brings massive sponsorship cash with him...........
Lyn Jarvis just said that they wanted him, but he's commited to WSB so not free until 2023.