Water filters

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
formula400

Water filters

Post by formula400 »

Right the wife’s going on about going down the path of a water filter
She’s got a Britta filter jug thing that I fill for her. She’s worried about all the shit in there micro plastics etc… I’ll admit I don’t know anything about or care, so I may be wrong.

But she has asked me to research getting a filter on the taps (kitchen only ). I’ve Googled and come across the water2, it’s under the kitchen sink, filters tap water. Any good or are they magic beans??
It’s £140 or so then £100 a year for a new filter
So not bad and saves me having to fill the jug all the time 🤣🤣🤣
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Ian

Re: Water filters

Post by Ian »

A former colleague raved about his improving the taste of his coffee.

Must admit it does make me wonder about all that plastic in your internal organs. In 20 years time will we look back on it as a cause for cancer or similar :shock:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Ian wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2024 12:17 pm A former colleague raved about his improving the taste of his coffee.

Must admit it does make me wonder about all that plastic in your internal organs. In 20 years time will we look back on it as a cause for cancer or similar :shock:
Unless the filters are made out of plastic of course...
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

No nutrition in plastic, it'll go down the loo I reckon.
Yamaha rocket 3
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Dodgy69 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2024 12:33 pm No nutrition in plastic, it'll go down the loo I reckon.
Except it's being found in brain tissue and testicles and most other organs.
Skub

Post by Skub »

When we moved to our current house,37 years ago,the water tasted very chlorinated,I could easily taste it in tea or coffee. Because of this we bought an under sink water filter which improved the taste no end.
All was going fine until one day I was in the house (luckily) and heard a bang,then the sound of gushing water. The filter had exploded. Maybe just unlucky,but I never bought another 'plumbed in' filter,we just use the Brita filter jug now. The mains water taste has improved over the years and we could probably do without,but yanno habits n' schitt.

I know nothing about any health benefits or otherwise,we just didn't enjoy drinking stuff that tasted like it was dredged from a swimming pool.
Last edited by Skub on Fri Oct 25, 2024 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

formula400 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2024 11:49 am Right the wife’s going on about going down the path of a water filter
She’s got a Britta filter jug thing that I fill for her. She’s worried about all the shit in there micro plastics etc… I’ll admit I don’t know anything about or care, so I may be wrong.

But she has asked me to research getting a filter on the taps (kitchen only ). I’ve Googled and come across the water2, it’s under the kitchen sink, filters tap water. Any good or are they magic beans??
It’s £140 or so then £100 a year for a new filter
So not bad and saves me having to fill the jug all the time 🤣🤣🤣
Brita filter material is activated charcoal made from coconut shells iirc. The plastic body isn't likely to break down into microplastic particles in use and they get recycled - most supermarkets collect the old ones. They get changed every month so no time to develop nasty biological colonies and, if you buy them after Christmas, they're always discounted so I buy 12 each year then. I'll stick with mine. :D

PS I got the biggest jug they sell to reduce filling faff.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Didge

Post by Didge »

I bought one of these a few months ago.
https://www.phoxwater.com/products/phox ... k5AS4Kw14o

You refill the filter cartridge instead of throwing it away.
Seems to work a treat. We're very happy with it.
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Plastic is your mother now.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I've got an iSpring RCC7AK, about £350 on Amazon. Rather than use the supplied tap I swapped the sink mixer tap out, have a look on Amazon for a 3 way osmosis mixer tap, there's loads of them. I've had mine for about 14 months, changed the filters at 12 months, no problems at all. Be aware that water pressure isn't that same as normal tap water, it can take 30 seconds to fill a litre container. Install is very simple, it's all colour coded plug in pipes for the osmosis system plus one hole drilled into the waste pipe under the sink and a bit of spanner work changing the taps.
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

I bet there's easily more plastic in the normal non filtered water than in a Brita filter, in fact I think Britas are designed to filter microplastics?

Can't imagine even an expensive undersink filter would be any better, probably made out of the same stuff or similar to a jug. Saying that, I do have a boiling water tap that is filtered, boy it gets clogged up with some shit, have to change it every 6 months or so.

I bought my daughter a jug filter as when she went to Uni in Exeter she said the water tasted horrible. She uses the filtered stuff and have had no complaints from her since. Reminds me to go buy one for myself actually.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

All the water here is desalinated, and while it's drinkable, it's not great.
We tried a Brita filter which was OK, but not great.

Then my builder pal installed himself an under sink filter system
Wow, so good we had him install one for us.
Amazing and not bought bottled water for years.