Riding Simulator?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Yorick

Riding Simulator?

Post by Yorick »

A pal of mine in UK just asked for my help. Her son just passed his CBT and has a 125.

He's not academically bright, and a bit slow to react to things sometimes.
She wants to know if there's a riding simulator he could practice on to learn to react quickly to road hazards?

Ta in advance.

@The Spin Doctor
v8-powered

Re: Riding Simulator?

Post by v8-powered »

Dunno about bikes but have access to 4 train simulators πŸ‘πŸ»
cheb

Post by cheb »

You meet the best trained people on a Honda:

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/hond ... 57097.html
roadster

Post by roadster »

There are plenty of driving simulators with a high level of realism but they are all dedicated to race simulation and not helpful for road safety training. My favourites are truck simulations such as Euro Truck and Snowrunner but even those are more about vehicle handling and situation observation/reaction and planning. They don't represent the everyday hazards that UK road riders and drivers have to deal with. The other category is the ( frankly juvenile!) type of game with crooks, supercars, and police. Definitely not ideal training material!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yorick wrote: ↑Thu Sep 26, 2024 6:41 pm He's not academically bright, and a bit slow to react to things sometimes.
She wants to know if there's a riding simulator he could practice on to learn to react quickly to road hazards?
As said, no. Doing as many different training sessions as possible for the DVSA's hazard perception test might help.

It's about:
- learning where to look and what for
- identifying risk
- asking 'how can that affect me?'
- deciding, planning, then taking, appropriate action

It's about that mindset.

He can't be atrocious if he's completed CBT. But that's no guarantee of long-term survival.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Devon and Cornwall police have a ride-on simulator set up in the back of a truck which they were promising to take to bike events this year, but I can't imagine anyone would get more than a couple of minutes on the 'bike' and learn anything worthwhile. But if he's anywhere near, might be worth contacting them to see if they have a session available.

https://news.devon-cornwall.police.uk/n ... 45bdd24049

There's pretty primitive PC-based simulator called 3D-Fahrschule 6.0 - it's still available from download sites but the webpage itself hasn't been upgraded from http to https which implies it's not being monitored any more. Trying to control the bike with a keyboard is next to impossible.

As well as the various DVSA haz-per videos, there are a number of sources for similar vids... Driving Test Success are probably best known. Used to be available on DVD, I think it's now subscription via an app. You often see the DVD around in charity shops - I've got a copy from about ten years ago.

'Ride the Right Line' was a decent effort from West Midlands Police 20+ years ago - still worth a watch... there's a copy on my YouTube channel:

Years ago, the DVSA made two excellent videos on VHS called 'What if...?" and 'Roadsense'. I've got copies somewhere.

And you could point him in the direction of my own '60 Second Safety' (how to do it) and 'Video Nasty' (how not to do it) playlists on my www.youtube.com/survivalskillsuk channel.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
The Spin Doctor

v8-powered wrote: ↑Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:26 pm Dunno about bikes but have access to 4 train simulators πŸ‘πŸ»
Any of them any good?
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

The Spin Doctor wrote: ↑Fri Sep 27, 2024 12:58 pm Devon and Cornwall police have a ride-on simulator set up in the back of a truck which they were promising to take to bike events this year, but I can't imagine anyone would get more than a couple of minutes on the 'bike' and learn anything worthwhile. But if he's anywhere near, might be worth contacting them to see if they have a session available.

https://news.devon-cornwall.police.uk/n ... 45bdd24049

There's pretty primitive PC-based simulator called 3D-Fahrschule 6.0 - it's still available from download sites but the webpage itself hasn't been upgraded from http to https which implies it's not being monitored any more. Trying to control the bike with a keyboard is next to impossible.

As well as the various DVSA haz-per videos, there are a number of sources for similar vids... Driving Test Success are probably best known. Used to be available on DVD, I think it's now subscription via an app. You often see the DVD around in charity shops - I've got a copy from about ten years ago.

'Ride the Right Line' was a decent effort from West Midlands Police 20+ years ago - still worth a watch... there's a copy on my YouTube channel:

Years ago, the DVSA made two excellent videos on VHS called 'What if...?" and 'Roadsense'. I've got copies somewhere.

And you could point him in the direction of my own '60 Second Safety' (how to do it) and 'Video Nasty' (how not to do it) playlists on my www.youtube.com/survivalskillsuk channel.
Cheers mate.
Horse

Post by Horse »

What's his hand-eye and general physical co-ordination like?
Horse

Post by Horse »

The Spin Doctor wrote: ↑Fri Sep 27, 2024 12:58 pm Years ago, the DVSA made two excellent videos on VHS called 'What if...?" and 'Roadsense'. I've got copies somewhere.
'What if?' is very good. Shame it's gone by the wayside.

Edit
Car version (there was a bike one too), uploaded 2 months ago.

The Spin Doctor wrote: ↑Fri Sep 27, 2024 12:58 pm And you could point him in the direction of my own '60 Second Safety' (how to do it) and 'Video Nasty' (how not to do it) playlists
Watch as many of this type as possible.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

The Spin Doctor wrote: ↑Fri Sep 27, 2024 1:08 pm
v8-powered wrote: ↑Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:26 pm Dunno about bikes but have access to 4 train simulators πŸ‘πŸ»
Any of them any good?
Yeah, very good. Pretty much perfect layout and 100% photo realistic. It's what the drivers use to learn the trains and routes.
At a million quid each, they should be good!
The Spin Doctor

v8-powered wrote: ↑Fri Sep 27, 2024 5:31 pm Yeah, very good. Pretty much perfect layout and 100% photo realistic. It's what the drivers use to learn the trains and routes.
Ah... then I guess I won't be downloading them :)
The Spin Doctor

Horse wrote: ↑Fri Sep 27, 2024 2:59 pm 'What if?' is very good. Shame it's gone by the wayside.
I'll see if I can upload it to my YouTube channel and keep it unlisted.
Watch as many of this type as possible.
8-)
Horse

Post by Horse »

Get him a session in a car, him as a passenger,with someone who can work on his hazard identification and planning.

"What if ____ happens, how could it affect me?"
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Can't she randomly throw small, hard objects at him? I had all kind of things hearled at my head, coming from all directions* growing up and have spidey reflexes as a result ;)

*Wooden spoons, shoes, footballs, chalk and blackboard rubbers were the main projectiles.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Horse wrote: ↑Sat Sep 28, 2024 2:40 pm Get him a session in a car, him as a passenger,with someone who can work on his hazard identification and planning.

His dad is a track instructor :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Trinity765 wrote: ↑Sat Sep 28, 2024 2:58 pm Can't she randomly throw small, hard objects at him? I had all kind of things hearled at my head, coming from all directions* growing up and have spidey reflexes as a result ;)

*Wooden spoons, shoes, footballs, chalk and blackboard rubbers were the main projectiles.
I'll throw some :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yorick wrote: ↑Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:01 pm
Horse wrote: ↑Sat Sep 28, 2024 2:40 pm Get him a session in a car, him as a passenger,with someone who can work on his hazard identification and planning.

His dad is a track instructor :obscene-birdiedoublered:
My first bike training Chief Instructor, an ambo driver, had two teenage sons. One would now probably be diagnosed as dyspraxic or similar.

He lasted a fortnight before turning right in front of a car and turning his scooter banana-shaped. Luckily, he was ok.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

v8-powered wrote: ↑Fri Sep 27, 2024 5:31 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: ↑Fri Sep 27, 2024 1:08 pm
Any of them any good?
Yeah, very good. Pretty much perfect layout and 100% photo realistic. It's what the drivers use to learn the trains and routes.
We've got a couple of crane simulators at work, they're not photo realistic, but do drive like real cranes (I'm told), they each use 10 very high spec PCs to run on.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

If there's any chance/history of travel sickness, don't put them in a sim! It's horrid!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde: