CBT - advice :)

Anything you like about motorbikes
Tigs

CBT - advice :)

Post by Tigs »

Hi I'm hoping you can throw some advice at me :)

I'm a car driver - I did attempt to get a bike licence a long time ago - I rode for around a year - before life got in the way and I had to give up!

I've decided i'm going to try again - how likely am I to remember what I was doing ??

If you were in my position would you get a 50cc scooter - and use school models to get my CBT and A licences - or should i buy a 125cc - and use that for a while before going for a licence.. Should I build up or go direct access...

So many questions - and no real clue!!
KungFooBob

Re: CBT - advice :)

Post by KungFooBob »

If you're old enough to do DAS and you have the cash, then I'd suggest a 'guaranteed pass' type course, they'll give you as much training/bike time as you'll need to pass both modules of the full test. They tend to be a bit spendy tho'
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

If you rode a lot for a year you might find some comes back to you fairly quickly, else it might not. I guess you won't know till you try.

I suppose you have 2 options. Buy nothing and use school stuff to get a licence and then buy whatever you can, that might avoid you buying a 125cc at all. Or decided to get a smaller bike for short term. If it's something you are unsure of seeing through then a 125cc might be a good idea. Loads around and easy to sell if it doesn't work out. It'll also allow you to actually do some riding without shelling a load of cash on tests first and see if you like it. Plus there is nothing like riding to get experience so with a 125 you can do a CBT and practice whenever you like. With only school stuff you have to wait for lessons.

When I did my test there was only 1 test for any bike so I did my CBT then rode a 125 for about 6 odd months. In the run up to my test I rode like I was on test every ride and passed first time. Afterwards as I was a student I was still on my 125 until I could save up for a 250.

I'd be reluctant to suggest a 50cc they are scary slow IME. They are ok in town, but as soon as roads are 30mph+ it's like being on a bicycle which scares me witless.
chutzpah

Post by chutzpah »

You'll get opinions on both sides of the fence. I did my CBT and bought a well looked after Honda 125 which I originally planned to ride around for a year before taking my A licence. In the end I was booking lessons after four months. But I did get some miles under my belt which served me well for the mod 2. I sold the Honda and lost a bit of money (as I bought from a dealer and sold privately) but not much.

For me personally the approach suited me, I needed to get used to riding a motorbike at my pace. I'm quite cautious by nature so whilst the CBT is a spectacularly low bar in terms of getting you ready for using the road I already had a fair few years of driving experience plus I cycled around 5000 miles a year. I can get why for people new to using the road doing a CBT then being let loose for a bit can be a bit.... fruity :shock:

On the flip side I completely get the argument that some will put forward that you should just go through the whole process in one go, saving buying a 125 or that "you'll get bored of it".
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Do the DAS. You're a blank sheet of paper in terms of experience and it should therefore be easy for the instructors to train you into good habits very quickly as you don't have/shouldn't have any bad ones in there that you just can't shake and may cost you come test day. Ask around and find which school locally has the best rep and go with them.
Tigs

Post by Tigs »

Thank you for the advice - I can see opinions vary. Around here the 'test till you pass costs are about £1500 and I am not sure if that is the going rate - there are appear to be 3 training schools near -how do I work out which is best - do I just ring round and chat?

I'd prefer to do my CBT over a couple of days- but I see most them expect you to do it in one (is that always the case).

I've also read up a bit about the Mod 1 test - which appears to be harder than the Mod 2...
chutzpah

Post by chutzpah »

I paid just under £600, which was three days of training and a mod 1 retake. Bike school charged £150 a day with test fees on top.

(CBT was separate as I did that before, £130 from memory)

In my case it would have taken me a fair few retakes to get to £1500, but maybe they have more days on the bike than I had - it's probably worth clarifying exactly what £1500 gets you.

But definitely call around and see who gives you a good feeling, and get any recommendations you can. My bike school were and continue to be excellent (I still chat to them now), I've heard some horror stories of other places though.

Mod 1 and mod 2.... another place that opinions vary! I didn't mind the mod 1 exercises but HATED the test itself. Mod 2 was a breeze, I was just out for a ride with a chap giving me directions. But my work colleague breezed his mod 1 and failed his mod 2 four times, and hated the being followed with them "looking for mistakes" element*

* that was his view, in my experience most motorbike examiners are looking for reasons to pass you, not fail you. So it's you who may give them the reason to fail you, not them trying to catch you out
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Tigs wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:07 pm I'd prefer to do my CBT over a couple of days- but I see most them expect you to do it in one (is that always the case).
I don't know if it's different now, but back in 94 or whenever I did mine it was a morning/afternoon at best. Some pulling away, some stopping, some cones then a quick road ride.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Supermofo wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:10 am
Tigs wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:07 pm I'd prefer to do my CBT over a couple of days- but I see most them expect you to do it in one (is that always the case).
I don't know if it's different now, but back in 94 or whenever I did mine it was a morning/afternoon at best. Some pulling away, some stopping, some cones then a quick road ride.
The majority of trainees complete within a day. That includes a mandatory 2 hours on-road. That wasn't always the case, allowing some operators to provide am and pm courses (*cough*potentiallycowboys*cough*). The longest one I ever signed off was 9 months!

That said, there have been suggestions and discussions for years that CBT should be split across 2 days. The current arrangements mean that a tired (mentally and physically) and cold trainees is told "well done - I'm going to take you out on the road now'!"

Module 1 is, to a certain extent, hoops to jump and party tricks. However, since they include pushing the bike around (drop a bike sideways and count the £cost in parts), cornering, braking and swerving, there is 'some' benefits from learning the skills ;) It's been in place for years now, so trainers should be able to coach you for it.

Module 2 shouldn't feel like 'putting on a show'. You should be trained to consistently ride to test standard. If not, I don't know what they would be doing :)

Theory test, that's down to you to swot up.
HPT, remember the 2 clicks guidance:
- first click when you think it's a hazard
- second when DVSA say it 'develops' ie needs some urgent action from you. IIRC most clips only have one of these and one clip has two

Buy a scooter or 125 to get some practice? The important question here (see above for test standard training) is whether you will know *what* to practice. Also, when (if) you get a bigger (higher, heavier) bike, you will need to be aware that they can't be ridden quite the same as a small, lighter, bike (stop off-balance and you can easily hold up a 50, unlike a 600). You need additional planning, better, skills.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Tigs

Post by Tigs »

It all makes me feel nervous... I have a couple of biker friends who are happy to go on rides with me - model/talk me though things - i suspect I mostly need 'slow motion control'.. which I think will come with coordination and practice

First time round I did a 5 day course and felt completely overwhelmed (I was with a couple of other people who had been on bikes before and I was the only novice .. I had never driven and had no road awareness or sense..)

I'm hoping this time round knowing the road will mean I only have to concentrate on riding the bike.

I'm a bit worried about 'heavy bikes' .. i'm not that strong.. I am an over thinker too .. which makes it tricky..

Is there a way to find out if someone near me can recommend a school?! I went to a local bike school and they suggested a local training center - i'm planning to pop in to get a feel for the place..
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Where are you based?
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

You have already been on the road which is a huge help for a CBT course and you are also a car driver , which again is a help as you already know how to use a clutch and gearbox........ we just have to transfer that from using your feet to using your hands and feet together ;)

I assume from the first post you have already done a CBT as they were brought in 1990 so unless you have had 30 years off bikes you should know how to get through a CBT.

The main principle for you on your CBT is mastering slow speed control which you need to get sorted before you transfer it to a bigger bike. Most students say that the bigger bikes are easier to ride as they feel more planted than the little 125's at slow speed (walking speed)

I am a bike instructor and do 4 or 5 CBT courses a week at the moment with everyone from 16 year olds on 50cc peds to 60 year olds who fancy getting on a bike and everything in between. With your previous experience i would expect to get you through it in a day on a geared 125 and signed off ready to progress. As long as your clutch and gears are ok and showing consistent control i would then look to move you to a 500cc bike (more weight and power) do the slalom, U turn, figure 8's and slow speed in a straight line to a consistent level then move you to a 600 and repeat the above.

Where i work the CBT is £130 and then most are looking at about 500-600 quid plus test fees to get a full license. We dont sell a package and will only bill for the training required to suit your progress. We also wont put you forward to test unless we are sure you have a reasonable chance of passing. There are a few other schools who send people who are not ready and sell it that they think a test fail is a "good learning experience" .....and then bill for more training and cost you another test fee.

As Horse said Mod 1 is a coached 10 minute test and Mod 2 shows you can ride a big bike on the road safely ........ A CBT is a watered down version of both on a smaller bike with a little lower standard but those i know are looking to progress through the full license procedure i push harder to get the better standard earlier which makes it easier to be more natural with things like correct observations, signals, and separation distances from the start

Feel free to ask any questions, there are no daft ones unless your username is IrnBruFreak who manages to ask loads of those :thumbup:
Tigs

Post by Tigs »

You guys are really helping me get my head around it Thank you for all your responses :) I think the more I know the less I will overthink!

I'm between Sutton and Croydon.. I've seen good reviews for Sutton training, Croydon training . Pheonix training .and Wimbledon training are also possibles. (I think less choice may suit me better!) Sutton has the best google reviews 5 stars from 528 people.. (Mind the others are on 4.9, 4.8 and 4.7.. . is that much difference?) is that worth trusting?
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Maybe start with Sutton training as you have already researched the reviews locally.

Pop down and have a look around and see what you think. Some schools offer a taster/sample session to get you on a bike and assess what they think you need.

I have a bloke coming in tomorrow who did a taster last week as he was very nervous and thought he would need more than 1 day to get through on a geared 125 and was thinking of trying an auto instead. He progressed very well with clutch control and i am fairly confident he will complete his in a day quite easily tomorrow. :thumbup:
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

As Yin says, the best way for you is CBT and DAS (assuming you’re old enough).

Choose a school, sign up for and complete your CBT. If you feel you gel with the instructors then sign up for DAS lessons. Do this on a pay as you go basis so you can walk away and try another school if you don’t feel it’s wirkimg for you.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/advice/b ... otorbikes/

Some mighty fine looking newbie bikes these days!!!
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Tigs wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:38 pm Hi I'm hoping you can throw some advice at me :)

I'm a car driver - I did attempt to get a bike licence a long time ago - I rode for around a year - before life got in the way and I had to give up!

I've decided i'm going to try again - how likely am I to remember what I was doing ??

If you were in my position would you get a 50cc scooter - and use school models to get my CBT and A licences - or should i buy a 125cc - and use that for a while before going for a licence.. Should I build up or go direct access...

So many questions - and no real clue!!
I wouldn't normally say this as my advice has always been "do the test, get trained properly, and get a bigger bike you won't outgrow in weeks", but right now, I'd say "do CBT and get a 125".

The big problem right now is actually GETTING a test in any category of bike.

Most schools are struggling to find tests to deal with the backlog of trainees who were caught up with the first lockdown back in March. Many are lucky to get an odd one here and there. I am reading reports of training schools who have been unable to get any tests in their regular towns and because they haven't got a history of booking in nearby centres, they are being put to the back of the queue when tests ARE released.

The DVSA's system for bookings is a total mess. It's crashed regularly, been shut down twice (I think) for 'upgrades' to cope with the 'unprecedented demand' - what did they expect to happen?

If you want some help with riding post-CBT take a look at my website www.survivalskills.co.uk.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills