Are you addicted....

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Wreckless Rat

Are you addicted....

Post by Wreckless Rat »

....to chilli?

I eat spicy food quite a bit, and as I do most of the cooking, so does my other half. Not stupidly hot, but enough so when you get to the end, you’re not sure you can eat much more. My missus says I am immune to chilli - but that’s not true at all. I just like the taste, and you can spice up so many dishes, you can still enjoy a massive variety of food.

I would say 4/5 of our main meals each week have a good kick to them. Is this an abnormally high amount of chilli to eat?
Yorick

Re: Are you addicted....

Post by Yorick »

Every few weeks I do a huge chilli which will do me about 10 meals.
Too hot for the missus, so I syphon a bit off for her before I heat it up.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I spent many months slowly, incrementally and secretly increasing the amount of chilli in our food to up Mrs D's game. I wanted to make it so we'd both like food at what I consider an acceptable spice level.

Pregnancy ruined my efforts. Seriously, the 2 year old baby D has more tolerance....
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

My missus couldn’t eat a Korma when we met... she can now eat nearly anything 😂

That’s 15yrs of work....
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

I cook twice a week, enough for 3 days each time. I can't remember the last time I didn't put chilli in a meal. If, on day two or 3 it's a little bland I add more.

Today was market day and Bekir had a big pile of fresh chilli peppers at around a £1 a kilo so I grabbed a handful and this evening, chopped up a few with garlic and fresh ginger to flavour tonight's dinner.

I think chilli is now as important to life as cheese and tea.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Coffee, but you knew that! Drug seller!!
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Never really into hot food.

I enjoy a Madras but that is pretty much my limit for enjoyment, i can eat hotter foods, but i would not enjoy them.

I'm not into the 'i can eat hotter food than your dad' kind of sillyness.

I have a South African mate who has that mentality, he's always trying to get me to try carolina reaper etc, just don't get that shit!
ninja

Post by ninja »

Yep, I'm addicted.
Every week I buy 3 bags of chilli from my local Asian shop. Green ones, little red hot buggers, and some Scotch Bonnets.
Lovely.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Greenman wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:44 am Never really into hot food.

I enjoy a Madras but that is pretty much my limit for enjoyment, i can eat hotter foods, but i would not enjoy them.

I have a South African mate who has that mentality, he's always trying to get me to try carolina reaper etc, just don't get that shit!
Yep, I never seen the point of food so hot you can't enjoy it. I like to know I've had it, nothing worse (well of course there is) than a chilli or curry with no heat, but on the flip side, there is no point in having food so hot you cant taste it.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

We used to chilli the majority of our dinners up until we started eating with the kids. They are proper lightweight and super conservative. When cooking for just us (me and the Mrs) it's pretty much more likely to have chilli than not but our tolerances have weakened due to the kids.

I usually grown a decent crop of Scotch Bonnets, Habanaros and Thai chillies each summer. Best crop was the heat wave year I dried and froze loads (freezer bags full)
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Lunch today is a small pide (they're about 14 cms in diameter) with tuna in chilli mayo with pickled jalapeno slices. I don't use butter or margarine so what's spread on the pide is cream cheese.

Nom nom nom :thumbup:
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:04 am
Greenman wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:44 am Never really into hot food.

Yep, I never seen the point of food so hot you can't enjoy it. I like to know I've had it, nothing worse (well of course there is) than a chilli or curry with no heat, but on the flip side, there is no point in having food so hot you cant taste it.
Exactly.

I like a bit of heat, i wont touch a pizza unless it has jalepenos on it these days, but too much is too much!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I used to work with a bloke who liked a good curry, etc., but had an allergy to capsaicin. Even a packet of Skips (remember them?!) had him sweating enough to soak his shirt. We used to go out for a curry and he'd literally be dripping into his dinner, much to the alarm of everybody else who thought he might be having a heart attack.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

gremlin wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:58 pm I used to work with a bloke who liked a good curry, etc., but had an allergy to capsaicin. Even a packet of Skips (remember them?!) had him sweating enough to soak his shirt. We used to go out for a curry and he'd literally be dripping into his dinner, much to the alarm of everybody else who thought he might be having a heart attack.
Mrs. D couldn't hack McDonald's BBQ sauce!

It's so odd, literally has no tolerance at all since pregnancy.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Love spicy food, but in this house I'm in the minority, the wife won't touch garlic, peppers, chilli or even onions, s'probably why I enjoy the old BBQ as I can cook what I want how I want it.
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

I used to love spicy food, the jalfrezi was the curry of choice, chili con carne as hot as you like, same with pizza, hottest topping please.

Now, I still like the taste (to a certain degree) but it goes through me like a tsunami... :thumbdown: