BBC Highway Code Quiz

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
Horse

BBC Highway Code Quiz

Post by Horse »

on the Beeb news web sote today.

Quiz: How well do you know the road?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-54027461

Includes this image:

Now, to me, the important information to know is about which side of the road we use in the UK ...
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
cheb

Re: BBC Highway Code Quiz

Post by cheb »

And driverless cars aren't legal.
Horse

Post by Horse »

cheb wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:51 pm And driverless cars aren't legal.
Could be a driver inside. Not being able to see a driver (from behind) is always a little warning for me.

A twist on 'see and be seen' :)
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Who was already doing the Dutch reacharound for cyclists?
Horse

Post by Horse »

JackyJoll wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:58 pm Who was already doing the Dutch reacharound for cyclists?
TfL funded research a few years ago. They're starting to get installed in the UK now.

www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge ... 732279.amp
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Horse wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:56 pm on the Beeb news web sote today.

Quiz: How well do you know the road?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-54027461

Includes this image:

Now, to me, the important information to know is about which side of the road we use in the UK ...
Thats a cyclist going round a marked parking bay. With the driver hidden by the headrest.

The "Turbo" roundabout in Cambridge has had a few problems (I've been involved on the periphery). I don't see too many been built as they cost a fortune and a lot of land take.
Horse

Post by Horse »

GuzziPaul wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:40 am The "Turbo" roundabout in Cambridge has had a few problems (I've been involved on the periphery). I don't see too many been built as they cost a fortune and a lot of land take.
Yup, Circa £0.5M for that one.

The publicised problem, soon after it was completed, was a car colliding with Belisha beacon IIRC ("It's never happened before!" Well, no, because they've only just been installed... ).

Have their been other problems?

Near here we have this:
https://earth.app.goo.gl/?apn=com.googl ... 827h,0t,0r
With a cycle lane around the outside. Trouble is, no-one really understands whether cyclists have priority. That said, in 15(?) years, no publicised collisions that I'm aware of.
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

So where’s everyone’s scores then?

I got 4 out of 9.

Some of the answers make great theory but not so great in practice.
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

7 for me, distance for a cydlist riding form the kerb on a quiet road was one I got wrong.
The belisha beacon incident was when it was running under temp signals so not in normal operation.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

GuzziPaul wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:40 am Thats a cyclist going round a marked parking bay. With the driver hidden by the headrest.
Why?

It's empty.

If you took a left turn from that far out on a motorcycle test, you'd get a driving fault...

...unless someone tried to pass on the nearside and then you'd get a serious fault.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Scotsrich wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:52 am So where’s everyone’s scores then?

I got 4 out of 9.

Some of the answers make great theory but not so great in practice.
I got them all correct, but I’m rubbish at motorcycling, horse riding, pushbiking, driving, walking and am pretty much a cunt and a menace on the Queen’s highway, so don’t beat yourself up.

I’m good at guessing.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

4/9 and proud. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
McNab

Post by McNab »

7 out of 9 for me.

But is question 6 suggesting that drivers have to stop for pedestrians waiting at the side of the road no matter where they are, zebra crossing or not?
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:37 pm
GuzziPaul wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:40 am Thats a cyclist going round a marked parking bay. With the driver hidden by the headrest.
Why?

It's empty. It is from the beyond the viewpoint what's to the immediate left of the viewer?

If you took a left turn from that far out on a motorcycle test, you'd get a driving fault...

...unless someone tried to pass on the nearside and then you'd get a serious fault.
But that is what the road marking is that the cyclist is riding around, just because a cyclist is riding in the middle of the road is no excuse to drive closer to him :)
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

GuzziPaul wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:42 pm distance for a cyclist riding form the kerb on a quiet road was one I got wrong.
:?: It looks like the revised Highway Code will make it normal practice to ride in the centre of the traffic stream (Primary position). Doesn't it?

Even as a cyclist, I'm only in Primary when required. The new wording proposed for the Highway Code infers that riding in the centre of the lane is the default for cyclists, doesn't it? And is it really safer? Shouldn't Secondary position (0.5 to 1m from the kerb) be the default?

Primary road position
chutzpah

Post by chutzpah »

It could be semantics that we'll end up arguing over @Hot_Air, but I'd argue it's default as that's where you are when required (due to hazards, to be prominent in traffic etc), if you choose to give up primary then you move to secondary.

I'd hope that the sooner other road users accept that that's the default position and that it's a valid place to be (and contrary to what some drivers exclaim, it's not "the middle of the road" :roll: ) the better

It's worth noting that in Bikeability primary is taught as the default position.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Always thought it was 1.5 metres space for cyclist. The pecking order one, having the most vulnerable at the top could lead to death or serious injury if all parties aren't playing. Dodgy quiz I reckon. 👎
Yamaha rocket 3
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Hot_Air wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:45 pm
Primary road position
That’s where the nails are.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

GuzziPaul wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:47 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:37 pm
Why?

It's empty. It is from the beyond the viewpoint what's to the immediate left of the viewer?

But that is what the road marking is that the cyclist is riding around, just because a cyclist is riding in the middle of the road is no excuse to drive closer to him :)
Didn't understand a word of that!
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

5/9. Didn't understand the 'pecking order', in the absence of further detail. Don't agree cyclists should be encouraged to dominate lane as a default like motorcyclists. Q9 is already in the HWC, iirc. Some answers were 'wrong' but the other answer options didn't seem right either. Crap quiz. I hope the revised HWC isn't as bad.