How to deal with cyclists

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
Hot_Air

How to deal with cyclists

Post by Hot_Air »

Have you seen Reg Local’s new video, 'How to Deal with Cyclists'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPN_XvaYU2k

@The Spin Doctor @Horse It’s from a car driver’s perspective, so I’m curious if you’d add anything from a motorcycling perspective.
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: How to deal with cyclists

Post by weeksy »

It won't happen. Quite simply because people are cunts.

They also class cyclists as bigger cunts and a complete inconvenience. Therefore are 2nd class and it's OK to take them out.

I see it time and time and time again, even this morning when out.
Felix

Post by Felix »

We are all people
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Felix wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:28 pm We are all people
Indeedy, but not in car drivers minds.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Sixteen per cent of drivers said they were often or nearly always angry at cyclists on the road. That's a lot of angry people behind the wheel :shock:

RoadCC wrote: As part of the study, the 1,006 drivers from across the UK who took part in the online questionnaire were asked how often they feel a range of emotions – including frustration, happiness, surprise, anger, contempt, and anxiety – when “faced with cyclists, horse riders, or motorcyclists in the road ahead”.

32 per cent of those surveyed reporting feeling frustrated towards cyclists “often” or “nearly always”. 20 per cent, meanwhile, reported the same frequencies of anxiety around cyclists, and 16 per cent said they were often or nearly always angry at people on bikes on the road.

The motorists were then asked to share how often they engage in risky or aggressive behaviour around vulnerable road users. 24 per cent said they shout or gesticulate at cyclists at least sometimes, with two per cent admitting that they frequently or almost always shout at cyclists.

Around a quarter of the drivers also said they sometimes follow cyclists at or less than a car’s length behind them (with around 15 per cent revealing that they frequently or almost always follow cyclists at close proximity), with roughly the same number admitting they leave people on bikes less than 1.5m space when passing. 40 per cent admitted overtaking cyclists at or above the speed limit for the road.

Between 20 and 30 per cent of drivers also said they sound their horn or rev their engine at cyclists before passing them.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Entitlement rules on the roads today. Drivers rarely acknowledge they've made a mistake and raise a hand to apologise,they just get angry at whoever drew attention to their mistake. Lots of cyclists have a bolshie attitude too,mix this with a similar character behind the wheel of a car,then you have an incendiary situation.

There is also the mismatch of reasons for using the road. You have cyclists using it for pleasure/exercise mixed with drivers who need to be somewhere and time is an issue. Must be a regular nightmare for delivery drivers,who will see themselves as trying to do their job,while the cyclists don't actually 'need' to be there. It's not difficult to understand the frustration.

The simple fact remains,these are the kind of things a driver has to deal with and you can either get angry or not,but it will change nothing either way.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Skub wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:21 pm Entitlement rules on the roads today. Drivers rarely acknowledge they've made a mistake and raise a hand to apologise,they just get angry at whoever drew attention to their mistake. Lots of cyclists have a bolshie attitude too,mix this with a similar character behind the wheel of a car,then you have an incendiary situation.

There is also the mismatch of reasons for using the road. You have cyclists using it for pleasure/exercise mixed with drivers who need to be somewhere and time is an issue. Must be a regular nightmare for delivery drivers,who will see themselves as trying to do their job,while the cyclists don't actually 'need' to be there. It's not difficult to understand the frustration.

The simple fact remains,these are the kind of things a driver has to deal with and you can either get angry or not,but it will change nothing either way.
Why don't the cyclists need to be there ? Can they not be commuting too ? Why is commuting more 'important' than not ?

It's REALLY difficult to understand the frustration when you're a cyclist, i simply can't fathom it.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

One of the scariest things I ever did on two wheels was cycle to work in Bristol. I was on a cycle path for most of the 3 or 4 miles. BUT 95% of other cyclists were going the other way to Filton. And fucking hell they had serious speed and zero patience (and some aggression) with someone who was not an experienced cyclist!! There were times I felt I was about to be pushed off the cycle track into the traffic, even tho I was completely on 'my' side of the track.

I went back to battling cars on a motorbike as it felt way safer.

However, there are total cuddlywuddlies on/in any sort of transport. I've been in a coach where the driver shouldn't ever be allowed behind a wheel of any motorised vehicle, been shouted at by car drivers and bikers and cyclists when in/on various types or transport. Followed mates on bikes that feel they've been cut up by a car (who probably didn't even see them filtering) and so smashed a wing mirror :(

I suspect the average car driver gets somewhat more pissy about cyclists because they do jump red lights and then blame the car driver for a near miss or hit, they do get angry when cars don't move for them even when in traffic and movement isn't easy/fast. But they are probably more fighty because they have no protection. Equally, don't break the laws of the road and maybe there will be less reason to butt heads with other vehicles

But as Skub wrote - the biggest thing is that there are some serious cuddlies in all sorts of vehicles. If someone is angry, they are going to be a fuckwit when on the road in/on any vehicle/mode of transport
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

weeksy wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:26 pm It's REALLY difficult to understand the frustration when you're a cyclist, i simply can't fathom it.
When you're A cyclist, it's fine, when your a family group, it's fine, when you're one of the local clubs time trailing or whatever you're all cuddly beary boos.

Although the 3 horse riders this morning take the biscuit for arrogant cunts, start of rush hour, not pulling over etc etc etc.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:40 pm
weeksy wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:26 pm It's REALLY difficult to understand the frustration when you're a cyclist, i simply can't fathom it.
When you're A cyclist, it's fine, when your a family group, it's fine, when you're one of the local clubs time trailing or whatever you're all cuddly beary boos.

Although the 3 horse riders this morning take the biscuit for arrogant cunts, start of rush hour, not pulling over etc etc etc.
It's the entitlement. I regularly follow people on the mountain roads that 'should' pull over and let the queue of traffic behind them pass (there are lots of laybys to safely do this!). But, "they have as much right to be on the road as anyone else so sod everyone else".

For me, if there is a faster car behind me, I'll pull over, car, minibus or bike. It's safer. But it's not a common viewpoint or action
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Noggin wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:42 pm

It's the entitlement. I regularly follow people on the mountain roads that 'should' pull over and let the queue of traffic behind them pass (there are lots of laybys to safely do this!). But, "they have as much right to be on the road as anyone else so sod everyone else".

For me, if there is a faster car behind me, I'll pull over, car, minibus or bike. It's safer. But it's not a common viewpoint or action
You can't always pull over on a bike, there's stretches of road here where it can mean a car is behind me for 4-5 mins, but what i'm expected to do i have no idea ? It's a single (ish) lane road and no passing places or cut outs to nip into.
I often pull out of the way even when it means stopping to let cars pass, but in the countryside there's not always the option.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

The pro cyclists who come over here for winter training are twats of the highest order.
Riding in big groups leaving long queues of cars behind, constantly.
I've had trouble passing on the bike sometimes.

On the twisty hilly stuff, it's impossible to pass
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

weeksy wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:46 pm
Noggin wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:42 pm

You can't always pull over on a bike, there's stretches of road here where it can mean a car is behind me for 4-5 mins, but what i'm expected to do i have no idea ? It's a single (ish) lane road and no passing places or cut outs to nip into.
I often pull out of the way even when it means stopping to let cars pass, but in the countryside there's not always the option.
TBF, where I wrote bike, I meant moto!! I do get that there aren't the passing places over there - where I am there are loads, especially on the mountain roads, but also car drivers are much less stroppy/angry with cyclists here.

I've been passed by cyclists before when on the moto and in a minibus going downhill - no way would they hold anyone up on the decent!! :lol: Brave stupid scary guys n gals
Skub

Post by Skub »

weeksy wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:26 pm
Why don't the cyclists need to be there ? Can they not be commuting too ? Why is commuting more 'important' than not ?

It's REALLY difficult to understand the frustration when you're a cyclist, i simply can't fathom it.
The packs I encounter must all work in the same place then. :lol:

Take the example of someone driving for a living and being constantly on the clock,thus either losing money/sales or having the boss bend your ear because you are late for appointments. Being held up by packs of boyos out for a jolly while you try to earn a crust isn't going to make your day.
Walt Whitman
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

TLDW: what was the upshot of the video??
non quod, sed quomodo
Taff

Post by Taff »

Skub wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:03 pm
weeksy wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:26 pm

The packs I encounter must all work in the same place then. :lol:

Take the example of someone driving for a living and being constantly on the clock,thus either losing money/sales or having the boss bend your ear because you are late for appointments. Being held up by packs of boyos out for a jolly while you try to earn a crust isn't going to make your day.
Killing a couple of them would be much worse for that drivers future outlook.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Taff wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:39 pm Killing a couple of them would be much worse for that drivers future outlook.
For most that wouldn't be the initial intention,but people can make mistakes when under pressure,then shit happens.
Walt Whitman
Timmy

Post by Timmy »

Why do people on bikes need to be 'dealt with'? If you can't wait a few seconds or haven't got the skills to pass them, maybe it's you that shouldn't be on the road.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:20 pm TLDW: what was the upshot of the video??
According to the YouTuber, it's his "planning to follow, looking to pass" principle. But for it to make sense fully, you likely need to watch some of the video.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:20 pm TLDW: what was the upshot of the video??

Kill them all, let God sort them out.