This time next year Rodney...

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Count Steer

Re: This time next year Rodney...

Post by Count Steer »

Potter wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:11 am
Count Steer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:03 am Alive would be good. :thumbup: I'll worry about the rest when I get there.
Is that a retirement thing though or have you always been like that?

I’m not sure I want that much uncertainty after such a structured existence.
It's a retirement/a few hospital trips/age thing - so there's
a greater element of enjoying what each day brings rather than thinking 'If I do x, y and z I'll really enjoy next year'. I've found most of the uncertainties arise from things that are generally outside my control - so it's a case of just generally trying to stay healthy, solvent and warm in a well-ish maintained home.

I still plan some stuff - I haven't become a total 'lotus eater'. :D

Work/career provides most people with one of the main structures of their life and some find it hard when that's gone. Fortunately I didn't. I suppose because, at the core of it was the thought that just like all the other things work brought/bought, retirement was something I'd worked/saved for - probably the biggest and the best. :D
cheb

Post by cheb »

The same as I do now but a bit slower I expect.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:38 am Work/career provides most people with one of the main structures of their life and some find it hard when that's gone.
Yeah I think this has been discussed before, the general opinion is that most people spend their whole lives exchanging about a significant part of their time for money, and then one day they don't need to and don't know what to do to fill the gap.
dern

Post by dern »

We're moving to Norfolk in a couple of months all being well. Beyond that and exploring the changes that that will bring, no clue.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Potter wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:13 am
Count Steer wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:38 am Work/career provides most people with one of the main structures of their life and some find it hard when that's gone.
Yeah I think this has been discussed before, the general opinion is that most people spend their whole lives exchanging about a significant part of their time for money, and then one day they don't need to and don't know what to do to fill the gap.
Yeah. There's quite a lot going on as well as the time thing. If you Google 'psychology of retirement' it's quite a studied topic.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

cheb wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:18 am The same as I do now but a bit slower I expect.
Pretty much this for me, albeit I think I've slowed down too much already.
non quod, sed quomodo
Potter

Post by Potter »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:14 am
Potter wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:13 am
Yeah. There's quite a lot going on as well as the time thing. If you Google 'psychology of retirement' it's quite a studied topic.
Defo a lot going on, we spend 1/3rd of our lives working (in whatever guise that looks like) at to some level that must define us, then all of a sudden it's gone and we don't know who we are any more. I posted about this before in relation to being a parent, we've had decades of it and when they leave we struggle to work out who we are if we're not parents.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

dern wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:29 am We're moving to Norfolk in a couple of months all being well. Beyond that and exploring the changes that that will bring, no clue.

Looking forward to the boat restoring thread. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
dern

Post by dern »

Dodgy69 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:59 pm
dern wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:29 am We're moving to Norfolk in a couple of months all being well. Beyond that and exploring the changes that that will bring, no clue.

Looking forward to the boat restoring thread. 👍
Quite fancy going sailing again but restoring a boat is definitely not on my list of things to do.

I've had to resist buying any more bikes as I've got enough trouble to get the ones I own over there. After I move and get rid of the van the plan then is to start looking for a KTM RC8.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I looked at those many times. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I did start having a bit of a plan about 10 years ago. But the last few years (ok, the last 6 and three quarter years) have been so bloody difficult/scary/painful/depressing that I gave up on any plan and just tried to deal with whatever the universe decided to throw - whether it was a baseball bat across the knees or an oncoming train instead of light at the end of the tunnel!

But, I think I'm close to being on an even keel again. Not counting on it but with some luck and a following wind etc etc

So, I do have a bit of a plan forming. I can't put it into place until a couple of things happen here - once they are sorted, I can work on a plan!

It isn't/won't be massive, full of cash or anything, but I have a job where I earn more than I've ever earnt (I'm not and never have been in the high earning brackets like most on here! So when I say that, it's not massive money, just lots to me!!), so even if it stays seasonal, I can make some decent plans to actually travel to some of the places I've always wanted to see. And, TBH, travel is probably going to be the main plan. I bailed on any plans of that sort when I was younger because I didn't want to go alone. Now I don't care - there are so many places, far and near, that I want to visit/explore that I'm just gonna do it - if the light is the end of the tunnel and not another sodding train! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Every plan I’ve ever had has been fucked up, I don’t foresee much tbh but would still like to be here for my daughter if nothing else
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Couchy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:39 pm Every plan I’ve ever had has been fucked up, I don’t foresee much tbh but would still like to be here for my daughter if nothing else
Yup. She needs you. And always will. And probably bank of dad as well :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

I really want to go touring in Iran. Maybe the conflict will be over in 5 years time and I can go and ride there.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Whysub wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:39 am I really want to go touring in Iran. Maybe the conflict will be over in 5 years time and I can go and ride there.
For quite a while my missus* was planning a special birthday holiday trip to Damascus....in 2012. A little event called the Arab Spring meant a bit of a replan. We had an open invite to Iran/Tehran from an Iranian family that spent a lot of time here on business too. (If you look at TripAdvisor around 2019 there are some pretty positive reviews). Friends have visited Isfahan and say it would be on many bucket lists for the buildings alone...if it wasn't in Iran.

Hope you get to do your trip.

* She's a bit of a Middle Eastern history buff.