G'wan, one won't hurt

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: G'wan, one won't hurt

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:43 am then why do you want an alcoholic drink at all?
I like the taste of a beer, especially after a pedal ride or doing a BBQ, however there's no great tasting LA/NA beers to substitute them with. There used to be Czech which was a 0.5% and brewed by Staropramen but that went out of Sains and i'm yet to find another that tastes right.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:41 am
Horse wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:04 pm
Rockburner wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:18 pm the school bar
WhoaWhoWhoa ... Errrr ... rewind a bit.

'School bar'? :shock:
:banana-dance:
Blimey. You went to Summerhill?
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Went to a bike do in Czechia in 2009, and despite the zero alcohol limit for driving, a few of the other riders were drinking beer at our first stop. Turns out they were drinking low alcohol beer, "Birrel". Its very good, although I have tried many 0% or low % beers, none have been as good.

I have rarely seen a drunk Spaniard, or at least none doing all the singing and dancing that tourists do here. I am sure the old boys sat at bars at 10 am with their beer may drive drunk.

There is,a good police presence here, and will set up road stops to check documents and conducting breath tests too.

To get to town I have to drive alongside an irrigation canal for 4 kms. This road parallels the main road between two towns. In the last three years I have seen 4 cars in the water. Possibly drunk drivers avoiding the police on the main road?
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:45 pm

Where?
non quod, sed quomodo
cheb

Post by cheb »

He went to the other place.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

cheb wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:40 pm

He went to the other place.
Well...

At Eton College, pupils of legal age have their own pub--called "Tap" -- where beer is served, but nothing stronger.

Eton gets beer, Summerhill got sex (n' drugs n' rock n' roll)...but not much education by some accounts. :D
cheb

Post by cheb »

Should of gone to a failing inner city comp, plenty sex'n'drugs'n'rock'n'roll. Not mush of an ecucation though.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Rockburner wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:18 pm the school bar

20240426_193234.jpg
20240426_193234.jpg (136.12 KiB) Viewed 180 times
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Trogladyte

Post by Trogladyte »

I cant believe anyone thinks alcoholic drinks don't taste nice? Seriously? Its almost as good as cheese!

Anyway.

I don't drink particularly regularly. But if I have a drink, I have a drink. I don't much see the point of drinking unless you get drunk, and I rather like being drunk, so that's what I do. I can get drunk on about half a bottle of cheap bourbon, and even after a bottle I'm not really in bush-shelter trashing mode. About two thirds of a bottle is good for dancing. Don't do mixers or ice. Damn dilution.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Trogladyte wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:14 pm I cant believe anyone thinks alcoholic drinks don't taste nice? Seriously? Its almost as good as cheese!

Anyway.

I don't drink particularly regularly. But if I have a drink, I have a drink. I don't much see the point of drinking unless you get drunk, and I rather like being drunk, so that's what I do. I can get drunk on about half a bottle of cheap bourbon, and even after a bottle I'm not really in bush-shelter trashing mode. About two thirds of a bottle is good for dancing. Don't do mixers or ice. Damn dilution.
Yeah. Nowadays I'm steady, but really do like cold beer.
And getting shitfaced occasionally is great :)
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Les grand garçons sont dans la boucherie. :thumbup:
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Trogladyte wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:14 pm I cant believe anyone thinks alcoholic drinks don't taste nice? Seriously? Its almost as good as cheese!
That'll be me, I don't drink spirits, they all taste nasty. Take whiskey for example, I've tried expensive stuff, it tastes exactly the same as cheap stuff, minging. I'll drink a gin and tonic very occasionally and that's it for spirits. Beer and wine yes in moderation.

Living in Spain drink is cheap and it's very easy to drink every day. I don't intend to spend my retirement sitting outside a bar with a beer in front of me getting fat, I've got things to do.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

cheb wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:53 pm Should of gone to a failing inner city comp, plenty sex'n'drugs'n'rock'n'roll. Not mush of an ecucation though.
Sounds like the grammar school I went to in Belfast. I remember one of my teachers calling me an "educated thug."

There was plenty of drinking going on amongst us, many a bottle of cheap cider or wine was necked at weekends and a few house parties got well out of control.

I liked Newkkie Brown. Genuinely liked it and the rock bar that let us all in underage served a lethally strong beer/cider/blackcurrant called a Purple Nasty, or you just asked the barman for a "Pint of shite"

I started going off drink when I did the doors for a while, I've seen too many people turn into utter morons when they get drunk, myself included.

Drink and drug driving is rife here, not enough cops to enforce it and when the run a big operation, they helpfully publicise it in advance and then crow about how effective their policing is because they don't catch many people. Every day I ride the bike to work and do a bit of filtering, I'll smell weed at least once, you see cars with smoke coming out of them like something out of Cheech and Chong.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Was cider and blackcurrant not a snakebite? May just be a jock thing
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Felix wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:59 am Was cider and blackcurrant not a snakebite? May just be a jock thing
Cider and lager mixed 50/50. But that's in London, we're a lot harder than anywhere else.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Bigjawa wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:52 am
Drink and drug driving is rife here, not enough cops to enforce it and when the run a big operation, they helpfully publicise it in advance and then crow about how effective their policing is because they don't catch many people. Every day I ride the bike to work and do a bit of filtering, I'll smell weed at least once, you see cars with smoke coming out of them like something out of Cheech and Chong.

That's the price of peace BJ. :)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Felix wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:59 am Was cider and blackcurrant not a snakebite? May just be a jock thing
Purple Nasty in Loughborough (more often just "nasty")...well, cider+lager+blackcurrant. Uni colours are purple, hence the change in name.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Yambo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:18 am

That's the price of peace BJ. :)

It was as bad during the troubles, basically if you weren't all over the road, they wouldn't bother with a breathalyser as it made the cops a static target, remember my uncle being a bit over the limit and the cops just letting him go on his way as it was a VCP in a dodgy area. The army boys didn't a fuck.
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

cheb wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:53 pm Should of gone to a failing inner city comp, plenty sex'n'drugs'n'rock'n'rollj. Not mush of an ecucation though.
Sounds like the grammar school I went to in Belfast. I remember one of my teachers calling me an "educated thug."

There was plenty of drinking going on amongst us, many a bottle of cheap cider or wine was necked at weekends and a few house parties got well out of control.

I liked Newkkie Brown. Genuinely liked it and the rock bar that let us all in underage served a lethally strong beer/cider/blackcurrant called a Purple Nasty, or you just asked the barman for a "Pint of shite"

I started going off drink when I did the doors for a while, I've seen too many people turn into utter morons when they get drunk, myself included.

Going into Hackney from Tower Hamlets I used to smell Weed constantly coming from cars I passed in the morning- less so now we’re in the burbs.
Gas is the other thing -people doing balloons.