G'wan, one won't hurt

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
DefTrap

Re: G'wan, one won't hurt

Post by DefTrap »

Newkie Brown is foul, you'd have to be a committed Northerner to stomach that. I do like a drink but if it was Newkie Brown or nowt, it would be nowt, ergo I can't be a an alkie. Yay.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

DefTrap wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:16 pm Newkie Brown is foul, you'd have to be a committed Northerner to stomach that. I do like a drink but if it was Newkie Brown or nowt, it would be nowt, ergo I can't be a an alkie. Yay.
When I was a youth and didn't know any better I drank Newcastle Brown because it was what Ogri drank. :hmmm: (and everything else in the school bar was even worse piss)
non quod, sed quomodo
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

It was when I lived in Newcastle I developed a taste for Guinness (and joined CAMRA!) - the output from the Scottish & Newcastle brewery was generally appalling. The Federation brewery that supplied the clubs was marginally better. The odd few pubs did McEwans 70 and 80 bob (named after the duty on a barrel) which were good but generally (particularly having moved from West Yorks) the beer was :thumbdown:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:32 pm None of the effort that's gone into low and no alcohol beer seems to have gone into lo/no wine. The stuff I've tasted wasn't fit to wash whippets in.

Most palates develop, I guess kids might like the no alcohol wine more than adults - it all seems way too sweet. The alcopops/blueberry sherbert vape generation might go for it though. :lol:
There are some sweet wines I like - Port and Banyuls to name two, but a perfectly acceptable (in standard form) red table wine with the alcohol removed and sweetened to hope you won't notice the lack of flavour is a crime against humanity. And God, probably.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Rockburner wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:18 pm
When I was a youth and didn't know any better I drank Newcastle Brown because it was what Ogri drank.
I drank it because it was only a quid a bottle.
Then I moved onto Dogbolter by Firkin, a lovely lovely dark beer with blackcurrant overtones, that got you drunk from your feet up.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

mangocrazy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:35 pm
Count Steer wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:32 pm None of the effort that's gone into low and no alcohol beer seems to have gone into lo/no wine. The stuff I've tasted wasn't fit to wash whippets in.

Most palates develop, I guess kids might like the no alcohol wine more than adults - it all seems way too sweet. The alcopops/blueberry sherbert vape generation might go for it though. :lol:
There are some sweet wines I like - Port and Banyuls to name two, but a perfectly acceptable (in standard form) red table wine with the alcohol removed and sweetened to hope you won't notice the lack of flavour is a crime against humanity. And God, probably.
It's funny, I never really thought of Banyuls as 'sweet' but it's a sold as a dessert wine so it must be. :D

(Prunes and chocolate feature a lot in the tasting descriptions).

Can be lovely stuff though and nice that the young Parcés are carrying on the good Dr Parcé's work. :thumbup: I discovered it on a hiking trip in the Eastern Pyrenees (Cerdagne region) in our last stop on the trip. Had a glass at the last knockings of a meal...then another...and was pretty close to ''Oh, just leave the bottle on the table' :lol:
cheb

Post by cheb »

Rockburner wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:35 pm
Potter wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:33 pm Oh I do like a Guinness.
And on occasion a Newcastle Brown.
I don't think I've had a Newkie Brown since I was at school..... Is it still made??
Yes it is. And afaict it is made, it certainly doesn't taste like it's been brewed.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

cheb wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:16 pm
Potter wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:33 pm Oh I do like a Guinness.
And on occasion a Newcastle Brown.
I don't think I've had a Newkie Brown since I was at school..... Is it still made??
Yes it is. And afaict it is made, it certainly doesn't taste like it's been brewed.
It isnt that bad - it is just an old fashioned brown ale. Which isn't fashionable at the moment.. And it is brewed. I suspect 0.0 Guinness is far more manufactured
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:22 pm

It isnt that bad - it is just an old fashioned brown ale. Which isn't fashionable at the moment.. And it is brewed. I suspect 0.0 Guinness is far more manufactured
Hmmm. Headache in a bottle (the locals called it 'trip to the moon'), there's something decidedly 'chemical' about it. However, re brown ale being unfashionable, I mentioned it before but it appears 'craft' stout is 'in'* so brown ales generally may well be due a renaissance. (Maybe Mackeson won't just be for old ladies in the Rover's Return too. :D )

* it was mentioned on an R4 prog - might have been The Food Programme.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Porter and stout* look to be making a comeback. Which is nice as I prefer a dark beer.

*I am what I drink.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I'll have a couple when I'm out for a bimble. One anywhere then one at the local near home. On the ebike I'll have as many as I fancy, usually 2 aswel, depends who's about. 🙂🍺
Yamaha rocket 3
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

It's awful stuff. Sold at the cheap rock club that I practically grew up in, and I had it from time to time, but I spent a memorable NYD morning chucking a lot of it back up down the toilet at my parents house, having had only enough moments warning of the upcoming emetic event to throw on a dress that revealed a tattoo they didn't know I had 😬 My dad came in to check on me, and never mentioned it, bless him.

Never drank it since 😆
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

What is all this dossing of Newcastle Brun?

Not my current tipple, but I have consumed a few gallons back in the day. Decent enough stuff, better than this lager fizzy pop or modern IPAs.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Rockburner wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:18 pm the school bar
WhoaWhoWhoa ... Errrr ... rewind a bit.

'School bar'? :shock:
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

gremlin wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:21 am The only drug you have to apologise for not taking.

Odd, innit?
Freaking annoying!! As someone who almost never drank (till 13 years ago, and even now not often) I’ve spent all my adult life having to argue that I DONT ACTUALLY WANT AN ALCOHOLIC DRINK thank you very much !!

DefTrap wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:45 am
At a recent bike-related event he said they literally couldn't give away their no/low samples - the reliance on booze for having a good time is pretty ingrained.
I’ve always been the weirdo that can dance alone on an empty dance floor stone cold sober if it’s a song I like, always annoyed me that people I was with would say “oh no, I’ll dance later when I’ve had a few more drinks”. If I’ve ever danced on tables at après, I’ve been stone cold sober! 🤣🤣
Now , if I do go out for drinks, I tend to drink lunchtime/afternoon so that if I want to ski the next morning, I’d have a straight head (can’t ski on a hangover!).

Potter wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:58 am Most alcoholic drinks don't really taste that nice, so drinking them for any other reason than to get pissed seems a bit pointless and masochistic.
I rarely feel like drinking beer unless it's a red hot day and I'm in the mood, the taste isn't good enough to make me want it regularly.

It's definitely an acquired taste and learned behaviour, if you give any kid an alcoholic drink they're likely to screw their face up and not like it, but after twenty years of being told you're supposed to drink it to be a normal sociable person, then most people seem to develop a taste for some sort of alcoholic drink.

Weird eh.

Smoking is another one, it tastes ghastly, I doubt many people are born with a genuine taste for it.
I feel like that. It’s the reason I didn’t drink very often - I’d drink disgustingly sweet stuff as that hid the taste of the alcohol!!
However, since moving here I’ve found a handful of drinks that I do like - dark rum and lemonade being one, genepi another!! Weirdly I like port but very few wines 😁

Even more weird, I tried SOOOOOOO hard to smoke in my 20’s - just because everyone else did (both my dads smoked cigars and the rest of my family smoked cigarettes - ALL my friends smoked). God it was disgusting. Even the white silk cuts were disgusting!! I didn’t get through a packet before I decided I really couldn’t pretend to like it and so I stayed a non smoker :banana-dance:

mangocrazy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:48 pm
Potter wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:58 am Most alcoholic drinks don't really taste that nice, so drinking them for any other reason than to get pissed seems a bit pointless and masochistic.
Disagree fudamentally on that. I drink red wine (and some whites and roses) for the taste and flavour, not to get pissed. If you could preserve all the flavonoids but lose the alcohol I really wouldn't mind, but unfortunately the taste and drinking experience is inextricably linked to the alcohol.
The taste of alcohol spoils most wines for me - well most alcoholic drinks!!. Not sure it’s the alcohol in beers and the like, maybe it’s just that I don’t like the taste! But I always think it’s a bit sad that I can taste a wine and it’ll be great, until a split second later when the taste of the alcohol spoils it all☹️☹️. Especially living here!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I'm enjoying 2 or 3 of these on a Thursday evening whilst watching the darts. Lovely refreshing taste, is a bit strong but for home use it's just the job.

Yamaha rocket 3
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Horse wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:04 pm

Introduced to disrupt the marijuana and cocaine trade. :lol:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I don't touch a drop if I'm driving, keeps it simple.

I don't really get the "one won't hurt" argument. If you're saying one has no deleterious effect then why do you want an alcoholic drink at all?
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Sunny wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:46 pm

It's awful stuff. Sold at the cheap rock club that I practically grew up in, and I had it from time to time, but I spent a memorable NYD morning chucking a lot of it back up down the toilet at my parents house, having had only enough moments warning of the upcoming emetic event to throw on a dress that revealed a tattoo they didn't know I had 😬 My dad came in to check on me, and never mentioned it, bless him.

Never drank it since 😆
That is moe of an issue - it is a very old, traditional brand. As we knew no better at 13 /14 you bought it from the offie and drank youself stupid on it (I found Martini Bianco way way more cost effective for party drinking at 1.13 GBP a bottle). Its first hangover stuff, its traditional - but way better than Watneys Red Barrel, Party 6 etc.. And still way better that Carlsberg/ Carling/ Fosters and Budweiser

Back to the original topic, when I was on an anti diabetes diet and not drinking, I just told everyone I was doing it so I didnt have a stoke or a limb cut off, Even in Japan where they thought it was weird not to drink, I was left alone.
When I came back from RSA , where a good friend has been turned into and aggressive bore due to alcohol, I gave up drinking for 4 months. Again I just told peole why - nobody tried to force alcohol on me. Is it a cutural thing?
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Horse wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:04 pm

:banana-dance:
non quod, sed quomodo