Rad cleaning

Tips, tricks, questions and answers to tech questions
Supermofo

Rad cleaning

Post by Supermofo »

Gonna fit my rad guard tomorrow or the weekend. And seems my usual careful clean (careful as in trying not to touch it so rinsing from the rear) has left a few flies remains. Presume best method is gonna be a sponge/GT85 and careful wipe clean?

Although I'm sure they'll be replaced within a 100 miles.
Count Steer

Re: Rad cleaning

Post by Count Steer »

Stiff-ish bristle brush, hot water and WuL? The matrix shouldn't be that fragile.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

On one forum I was on, somebody suggested taking the rad off and immersing and soaking it in a solution that has protein remover in it (it's used by contact lens wearers). That should soften up all the bug carcasses which could then be removed by rinsing through (not with a jet-wash, obvs).

I've never tried it myself so it's effectively untested, but I thought it was an interesting take on removal of insect remains.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

The matrix may not be fragile but the fins will be. I'd just do what I can with a low pressure hose.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:50 pm On one forum I was on, somebody suggested taking the rad off and immersing and soaking it in a solution that has protein remover in it (it's used by contact lens wearers). That should soften up all the bug carcasses which could then be removed by rinsing through (not with a jet-wash, obvs).

I've never tried it myself so it's effectively untested, but I thought it was an interesting take on removal of insect remains.
I cleaned my rad by soaking it in a big bucket and using a shower with no need for any special cleaners. It worked very well.

Otherwise, waiting until it's very warm and dry and using a dry brush works quite well.
Lockdown refugee
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Trinity765 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:48 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:50 pm On one forum I was on, somebody suggested taking the rad off and immersing and soaking it in a solution that has protein remover in it (it's used by contact lens wearers). That should soften up all the bug carcasses which could then be removed by rinsing through (not with a jet-wash, obvs).

I cleaned my rad by soaking it in a big bucket and using a shower with no need for any special cleaners. It worked very well.

Otherwise, waiting until it's very warm and dry and using a dry brush works quite well.
Soaking the rad in a bucket of warm water was what I did the last time I cleaned one, so the same as your option 1. This normally gets done when the bike needs a coolant change.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

There are only a very few so will see what I can do with as little pressure as possible. To be honest they must be so desiccated now I could probably pick em out with tweezers
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I'd just stick the gaurd on, a few flies won't hurt. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3