Has anybody fitted a Makita/Dewalt battery to there Dyson vac

Tips, tricks, questions and answers to tech questions
kendo57

Has anybody fitted a Makita/Dewalt battery to there Dyson vac

Post by kendo57 »

My V8 Dyson battery is slowly dying , its the second one i have had at about £90 ago.
I could just replace or buy a cheap copy off EBay but i read that the Vacs run for ages
with a 5amp Makita battery conversion. Only downside i can see is you can not charge
on the Dyson Docking station.
Mussels

Re: Has anybody fitted a Makita/Dewalt battery to there Dyson vac

Post by Mussels »

My V8 battery lasted a couple of years and I decided a replacement was chucking good money after bad, I still have it so am interested in this bodge.
Is it a common Dyson issue then, good money spinner if it is.
cheb

Post by cheb »

I've not yet, but will when the time comes. I'm not sure what version mine is, it came from a skip.

I'd buy an adapter from Ebay. The ones with flying leads are about a tenner.
kendo57

Post by kendo57 »

I already have Makita tools so it sounds like a good plan. I will give it ago with my own battery
and if its works well will buy another just for the Vac.
kendo57

Post by kendo57 »

cheb wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:26 pm I've not yet, but will when the time comes. I'm not sure what version mine is, it came from a skip.

I'd buy an adapter from Ebay. The ones with flying leads are about a tenner.
What are Flying leads?
cheb

Post by cheb »

kendo57

Post by kendo57 »

OK got my Makita adapter , £10, three tiny screws to remove old battery and fit.
Then its just a case off sliding in my Makita battery.
First thing you notice is the extra weight, not too bad, then the Dyson runs a little slower.
The Dyson is 21.5v the Makita 18v so its a little slower but ok in Turbo mode which we tend to use.
The Dyson will not fit back on its dock even with the battery removed which is a pain.
Now the most disappointing part, the Makita 5amp battery did not last as long as expected.
It was fully charge and i think in good condition but only lasted a bit longer than the Dyson battery.
So its a fail for me and have ordered a new Dyson battery for £85. The old battery has lasted 2.5 years.
I could of bought a cheap higher power Chinese option off Ebay but i would always be worried about finding
my house burnt down .
Felix

Post by Felix »

There is a 6amp Makita battery but that is probably not a great deal cheaper than your Dyson one. I have used the Chinese Makita copy batteries in the past. Never had more than a year out one but never had one go on fire either.
kendo57

Post by kendo57 »

Yes i think the fires are more to do with cheap chargers than batteries but it would still make me
nervous as its in the house not garage.
Felix

Post by Felix »

kendo57 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:38 pm Yes i think the fires are more to do with cheap chargers than batteries but it would still make me
Lol. I have a couple of the Makita copy chargers also. They have been fine but i did not realise they are over half the charging rate so bought a genuine one what gets used in the house and the Chinese ones are in my van what allows me to charge the drill batteries if needed using an Inverter. There is some seriously bad batteries out there. I have two Xgody sat nav's The batteries in them can swell and explode so both got swapped for branded mobile phone ones. Plenty reports of scooters and cheap vape pens blowing what worried me more as the wife buys the vape pens. Not look into where they are made right enough but good money says some dodgy part of Shenzhen Province China.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

kendo57 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:38 pm Yes i think the fires are more to do with cheap chargers than batteries but it would still make me
Often charging is throttled by the battery rather than the charger, cheap chargers usually just mean low powered.
The weakest part is the cells, especially if they aren't balanced and they can go bad quickly.
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

I bought a V8 in 2017. I have had to replace the battery once, in 2022 from memory. I went for a genuine Dyson replacement and it's still working very well. Fwiw.