New bike day. The purple Orbea Rise.

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
mboy

Re: New bike day. The Purple People Eater :D

Post by mboy »

weeksy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:49 pm Ok, well not too terrible a solution really. Just needs a different dropper lever which increases clearance to the bars/controls.
You gonna run the Shimano brakes...? I've got a redundant i-spec Shimano dropper lever if it's of any use to you...?
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: New bike day. The purple Orbea Rise.

Post by weeksy »

No matey, a set of Codes went on today actually, just not got around to pics/write-up.

But thanks anyway.

Also swapped the dissector onto the rear and put a Hillbilly on front. Both tubeless obviously now.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

When I look at the bike this is all I can think of😂😂😂:

"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Been doing some taping on chainstays, a bit of a rubber protection on the bottom of downtube and doing a bit of research into computer options.

First up is the Garmin.
https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=q ... WJ9lk12Kk9

Lots and lots of options for compatibility with Garmins. However i don't own one, but some of the Forerunner options are not crazy money.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285785523968 ... R57ZoPjPYw

Option 2 is to use the phone, i can connect to the etube app. This is Shimano Steps configuration and diagnostic App.
It's not an 'on the fly' sort of thing though, it's more a 'when you've stopped' type thing.

option 3 is the Shimano EN600 computer
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314364220321 ... ULDRp_nPYw

Although i'd need to look into the cabling, but likely it shouldn't be too tricky in reality

Option 4 is of course 'wait for 20%' which is what i'll be doing short term anyway. Only once on a ride have i gone to 20% anyway up to now, if the battery is better than on the older Orbea, i won't be hitting <20% more than once a year anyhow. It's a decent chunk of battery/assistance and the Eeb is predominantly a 'shuttle' vehicle for uplifting myself rather than a 100miler type day out bike.

ImageIMG_20240327_105754 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20240327_105746 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

weeksy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:07 am Been doing some taping on chainstays, a bit of a rubber protection on the bottom of downtube and doing a bit of research into computer options.

First up is the Garmin.
https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=q ... WJ9lk12Kk9

Lots and lots of options for compatibility with Garmins. However i don't own one, but some of the Forerunner options are not crazy money.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285785523968 ... R57ZoPjPYw

Option 2 is to use the phone, i can connect to the etube app. This is Shimano Steps configuration and diagnostic App.
It's not an 'on the fly' sort of thing though, it's more a 'when you've stopped' type thing.

option 3 is the Shimano EN600 computer
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314364220321 ... ULDRp_nPYw

Although i'd need to look into the cabling, but likely it shouldn't be too tricky in reality

Option 4 is of course 'wait for 20%' which is what i'll be doing short term anyway. Only once on a ride have i gone to 20% anyway up to now, if the battery is better than on the older Orbea, i won't be hitting <20% more than once a year anyhow. It's a decent chunk of battery/assistance and the Eeb is predominantly a 'shuttle' vehicle for uplifting myself rather than a 100miler type day out bike.

ImageIMG_20240327_105754 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20240327_105746 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
I have a forerunner 235, sitting on my desk, doing nothing.
Any good?

Are the pink pedals on yet?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Ah 255 and 265. But thank you

Still the blue ones but will fit black DMR before weekend, they're fitted to the orange one but he'll run SPD type
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I've just bought the PPE a Granite Stash.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115984600505 ... 6127004593

Anyone who's seem my MTB threads will know i love a Stash Tool. They're just very simple and effective for the times you need a multi-tool.

The prices have dropped to what i think is a bargain figure now as that version has been replaced by a newer super-duper version.

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

First proper ride on the bike and apart from the horrible saddle, it's all sweet.
Couple of clicks faster on the rebound than I first set it. But that's about all I changed. I'll probably add 10psi to the shock and slow rebound 1 click as I think it's sitting a big low.
The Code R work sweetly and the motor is deffo quieter on this revision compared to the orange one.

I may rotate the bars forward fractionally but that's about it.

Well, that and removing the Burgtec Cloud saddle and either swap it for the one on the orange bike, or one out of spares.

ImageIMG_20240409_153159 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

catching the morning sunshine
ImageIMG_20240410_082328 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20240410_083648 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

trails are 99% lovely at the moment, properly nice. Weirdly at times the purple one doesn't feel like it rolls as fast as the orange... i'm going to have to take the orange one out in a back to back test as i've checked all the power settings but weirdly, it's just not quite rolling in the same way. It could be the sticky conditions as some trails are a bit draggy.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Afternoon ride of trailsy fun :)

Hit a few of the regular trails, the onto the dad jumps in Frilsham before heading for a beer.
Sitting having a beer the heavens opened with hail, rain, wind... WTF it was glorious !!!!
Called Mrs Weeksy to come get me in the van and stayed for another 2 pints :)

ImageIMG_20240416_155925 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20240416_164628 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

That's the spirit. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Out with @crust on Sat along with 2 of my local riding mates. Both me and Crust were on the Ebikes, they were on manuals. We rode FoD and it was interesting just how fast and easy the Eebs were on the ups... i was cruising along happily.

On the downhills i changed my rebound to 2 clicks slower as on the first run it felt a little quick. But the purple thing was absolutely brilliant considering it's a lower spec than the orange. I hit one of the Dowies trails quicker than i'd say i've ever been before chasing one of the lads with the "nah, he's not gapping me under any circumstances" mindset :)
A beer or 3 followed and a burger.... awesome :)

ImageIMG_20240420_132626 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Conditions were just exceptional and it was awesome to be able to come home and just put the bikes away.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

The boy was out with the coach last night after school so i'd got the Orbea ready to roll. However the plan was changed and we were heading to Staunton ! I'd heard about Staunton from the boy and it's a bit on the spicy side.
I went in with a bit of trepidation, following my nose and hoping for the best. A couple of incorrect decisions on the route meant i ended up once or twice on things a bit out of my skillset :D but i mostly either survived or walked a little bit.
I then sessioned a jumpy drop line which took me a couple of runs to hit, first time was a "No...." second look, hmmm maybe... and i hit it on the next run.. It was touch and go but i sort of made it on the bigger one... It wasn't graceful but i survived with a big surge or adrenaline.

ImageIMG_20240424_182850 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Out yesterday with @crust it was interesting to see how the newer Rise would do against his Rail.

I knew it'd be OK in a riding context and it didn't let me down at all, on the trailsy bits the Orbea was flying. I know it's the budget version even compared to the orange Rise, with lower spec Forks and Shock, but it was spot on.

Battery though, well lets just say 55km and 800m of climbing is about it's limit i'd say i had about 2% left by the time we got home. When we hit Goring i went down to RED LIGHT which is 20%.... then on the way to home after beers i went flashing red which i assume was 10%. But we were only 3 miles from home and only one hill left there. Sadly @crust went on the attack with 1500m to go on the last hill, with 30% battery left on his he hit Turbo and killed me off. I had nothing left in the battery and not enough in the tank for an Eeb attack.

It showed it can do a decent length/climb ride, but clearly if i wanted more than that, i'd need an extender.

ImageIMG_20240504_133250 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Didn't hit Dyfi with the boy yesterday, partly due to expense, partly due to flying solo and being less fun doing that sort of stuff solo.

So i went out for a quick trip to some Enduro trails i raced with the boy on once upon a lifetime ago. I didn't find many of them and the ones i found were on the techy side of techy steep (for me anyway) but i managed to bimble my way down them and had fun doing so. Not trails i'd necessarily go looking for again, but was decent at the time.

ImageIMG_20240506_105109 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr