Are you a somnambulist? Tell us about your nocturnal stirrings.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
gremlin

Are you a somnambulist? Tell us about your nocturnal stirrings.

Post by gremlin »

Sleep walking is what I'm talking about. Nothing else. :lol:

Chatting to a mate the other day who has been sleep walking all his life. He said the other night he got up, put on a shirt and tie (nothing else mind!), put in a pair of contact lenses and when asked by his girlfriend where he was going, proceeded to tell her some nonsensical story. Being used to this, she coaxed him back into bed and he had no recollection in the morning, although he did wonder where the shirt and tie had come from.

I find this weird as I don't even talk in my sleep. Once I'm gone, that's me comatose 'til morning. Mrs. G has had episodes when we were younger, mind. I remember her leaping out of bed and crouching in the corner, terrified, telling me to get rid of the spider. Took me a few minutes to calm her down and convince her there was no spider. :lol:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Count Steer

Re: Are you a somnambulist? Tell us about your nocturnal stirrings.

Post by Count Steer »

No nightly walkabouts since my younger days really. They usually involved an earlier intake of volumes of beer and confusion of room layout in places that weren't home. ie opening a wardrobe door and entering...heading for the toilet. :lol:

Now it's just the nightly 'old bloke bladder cycle' perambulations. :(
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Only a loud, sharp rebuke from Mrs. G. stopped me from walking out into a hotel corridor for a piss a few months ago.

Bloody stupid of them to design a room layout where the room door is the same direction and distance from my en-suite door. :roll:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Used to, 15 - 20 years ago, I'd generally walk around the house, maybe have a piss in a wardrobe or fridge.
Got to the stage where I'd have to set up traps and trip points around the bedroom before going to bed in the hope I'd fall flat on my face and wake myself up.

Then I just stopped, and haven't been a-wandering since.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

No wandering but chat a lot! My wife says some times I really have a conversation with somebody and on occasion argue and laugh loudly too, all of which is apparently preferable to my snoring! :D
Potter

Post by Potter »

Sleep walking - I've done it a couple of times, when under a lot of stress.

Once in Iraq, I woke up on the decking outside my room naked (I sleep starkers so I must have got up and gone outside), it shook me up a bit, but as I said I think it was stress.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Potter wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:29 am Sleep walking - I've done it a couple of times, when under a lot of stress.

Once in Iraq, I woke up on the decking outside my room naked (I sleep starkers so I must have got up and gone outside), it shook me up a bit, but as I said I think it was stress.
The day of the 7/7 tube bombings, my employer asked essential staff to stay in hotels, to ensure attendance the following morning. So, being young(er) and on expenses, we all went on the lash and stayed in the Tower Hotel. It was mobbed, full of people staying over from all different companies. Mayhem ensued. I'd had enough after while, so staggered to bed.

A few hours after this, I was awoken by a noise in the room. In a bit of a bleary-eyed panic I switched on the lamp, to see a bloke, bollock-naked, with his back towards me, standing at the desk mumbling to his 'mum' on the telephone. My initial terror was replaced by the thought that he was clearly sleep-walking and had managed to get into my room. I jumped out of bed, opened the room door and shoved him unceremoniously out into the corridor.
In the morning I tried the door and found out that if you just let it go, it didn't close properly, hence his naked, nocturnal confusion allowed him to simply open the door and come in.

To this day, no matter how pissed I am, I always double-check the door is closed when I collapse into bed.
Potter

Post by Potter »

gremlin wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:20 pm
Potter wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:29 am Sleep walking - I've done it a couple of times, when under a lot of stress.

The day of the 7/7 tube bombings, my employer asked essential staff to stay in hotels, to ensure attendance the following morning. So, being young(er) and on expenses, we all went on the lash and stayed in the Tower Hotel. It was mobbed, full of people staying over from all different companies. Mayhem ensued. I'd had enough after while, so staggered to bed.

A few hours after this, I was awoken by a noise in the room. In a bit of a bleary-eyed panic I switched on the lamp, to see a bloke, bollock-naked, with his back towards me, standing at the desk mumbling to his 'mum' on the telephone. My initial terror was replaced by the thought that he was clearly sleep-walking and had managed to get into my room. I jumped out of bed, opened the room door and shoved him unceremoniously out into the corridor.
In the morning I tried the door and found out that if you just let it go, it didn't close properly, hence his naked, nocturnal confusion allowed him to simply open the door and come in.

To this day, no matter how pissed I am, I always double-check the door is closed when I collapse into bed.
Lol, I've had that from non-sleep walking people.

I woke one evening in Rwanda to three big Rwandans in my hotel room, I jumped up expecting the worst but they cheerfully explained that the hotel was full and they'd arrived late, so the desk thought I wouldn't mind if we all shared my suite :lol:

I'd never met any of them in my life but they were great guys, two slept on the sofa and a chair and one shared my double bed - no touching mind :lol:
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Slept walk when younger and used to wake starkers on the sofa.
Mrs Smethurst talks in her sleep sometimes - I do when stressed
Seemed to have stopped since I’ve got older.
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Muz tends to fairly regularly start shouting about something or other and/or thrashing about, or jumping out of bed. He's done it ever since he went on his blood pressure medication.

I'm so used to it now I can usually half wake up, catch him and talk him down from whatever random, often hilarious, thing he's dreamt.

When I was away for work at some point a week or two ago, and therefore not available for 'calm down dear' duties, he managed to end up standing on my side of the bed and for some reason headbutted the wall apparently 😬
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Children are the best/creepiest for this :lol:

Had a few instances of Baby D 'talking to the old lady over there jn the corner' or 'the smiling man on the ceiling'. She never seemed disturbed by it, just a bit confused I couldn't see them too.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Nope. Never.
Lockdown refugee
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Occasionally, usually when I'm stressed.

Most often it is get out of bed, and then stand there, all confused. Occasionally I am convinced there is something wrong, one I recall was that there were 'bottles under the bed'.
Mrs CJ normally just tells me to get back into bed and I do, with no recollection in the morning.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

The only nightwalking I do is the bursting bladder shuffle or the occasional leap out of bed yelping with cramp in the legs/shins/feet. That's quite sufficient, as far as I'm concerned...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Skub

Post by Skub »

I go to bed and conk out until morning,I'm a regular 8 hours baby. I'm a stranger to all this nighttime wandering.

Twas always so with me. Y'all live adventurous lives.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

I did slap the wife about the face last month during a rather good fight dream, which went down like a lead balloon as you can imagine.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Not for a while, worst one for me was on a ferry where I managed to leave my cabin and woke up in a corridor below decks and didn't know how to get back to my cabin.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

MrLongbeard wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:37 pm I did slap the wife about the face last month during a rather good fight dream, which went down like a lead balloon as you can imagine.
A friend of mine had a similar dream and kicked his wife in the crutch. He was in the doghouse for an extended period of time for that...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Just a sober word of caution. A colleague of mine had recurring night time kicking and striking out episodes and it turned out to be an early symptom of a degenerative brain disease.

He died a few years after we joked about his violent sleep assaults on his wife.
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

gremlin wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:45 am Just a sober word of caution. A colleague of mine had recurring night time kicking and striking out episodes and it turned out to be an early symptom of a degenerative brain disease.

He died a few years after we joked about his violent sleep assaults on his wife.
Eep. Sorry to hear that mate.