Rear mounted mud guard

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
formula400

Rear mounted mud guard

Post by formula400 »

Any of you lot know of any blot in rear mud guards. After something small so it can be packed away. Not after anything massive
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Mr Moofo

Re: Rear mounted mud guard

Post by Mr Moofo »

formula400 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:26 pm Any of you lot know of any blot in rear mud guards. After something small so it can be packed away. Not after anything massive
I just use the usual plastic front guard zip tied to the rear stays so the rear shock stays cleaner ...
Other than that it is a big wavy Crud Catcher ....
formula400

Post by formula400 »

should of said it was for my road bike for commuting.
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Taff

Post by Taff »

I suppose it depends on the mounting points that your bike has.

I've only used full length mudguards on my winter road bike as it's old and has the mounts for them. Guards like the raceblades are available and attach to the seatstays but I have no idea how well they stay in place.

I'd say that the front mudguard is just as important as the rear guard, if you're riding in the wet having the spray on your face constantly is a PITA, and if your route takes you down a farm track having cow shit chucked all over you and your water bottle is downright orrible :thumbdown:
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Taff wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:25 am I suppose it depends on the mounting points that your bike has.

I've only used full length mudguards on my winter road bike as it's old and has the mounts for them. Guards like the raceblades are available and attach to the seatstays but I have no idea how well they stay in place.

I'd say that the front mudguard is just as important as the rear guard, if you're riding in the wet having the spray on your face constantly is a PITA, and if your route takes you down a farm track having cow shit chucked all over you and your water bottle is downright orrible :thumbdown:
The man is right. As ass-saver or something similar will do the job on the back, but raceblades are excellent for full coverage. The front is the one to focus on. It's astonishing how much spray gets launched off your front wheel forwards and that you then end up riding through.
chutzpah

Post by chutzpah »

A bit late to the party on this thread, in my experience of various bikes and many miles the only consistently reliable non-rubbing guards are bolt in ones, but this obviously depends on your frame supporting this and tyre clearance. SKS have always been reliable for me on this even if the instructions (at least in the past) left a lot to be desired! (I still remember opening the pack and instruction one was "check all parts are present".... but no parts list was included with the instructions. Then getting to the end and having parts left over, but no idea if this was a expected or not...)

I know people that swear by Crud Roadracers but they drove me mental, I could never get them quite right.

Raceblades have done OK but still rub at times. In the main if the weather is foul I'll pull out my bike with the SKS Bluemels on.