Anyone had an EMG?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Noggin

Anyone had an EMG?

Post by Noggin »

I've read there are needles involved, or electrodes? Or a combination??

I'm having one on Monday!! :hmmm:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Yorick

Re: Anyone had an EMG?

Post by Yorick »

Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Just electrodes. It's nothing.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Yup, when they stretched my nerves operating on my shoulder.

Just electrodes, it stings a bit when they crank the power up, but it's not too bad tbh. Feels odd, where you can feel it.... most of my arm was dead to the touch.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Slenver wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:23 pm Just electrodes. It's nothing.
Perfect

Wreckless Rat wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:53 pm Yup, when they stretched my nerves operating on my shoulder.

Just electrodes, it stings a bit when they crank the power up, but it's not too bad tbh. Feels odd, where you can feel it.... most of my arm was dead to the touch.
Sounds ok then (the EMG not your arm!). I've got proper sensation down the arm and three fingers, the thumb and index fingers are over sensitive.

Just glad it's not needles!!! :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Isn’t that what the Gestapo used when interrogating prisoners? :wtf:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Jasper wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:30 pm Isn’t that what the Gestapo used when interrogating prisoners? :wtf:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Noggin wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:26 pm
Perfect

Wreckless Rat wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:53 pm Yup, when they stretched my nerves operating on my shoulder.

Sounds ok then (the EMG not your arm!). I've got proper sensation down the arm and three fingers, the thumb and index fingers are over sensitive.

The hand is fed by two nerves, IIRC - the middle finger (i think, might be the ring finger... its a long time ago.) has a feed from both and its sensation is pretty much split down the middle, one is the ulnar nerve, one is the median I think. Something like that, which will be why you have different sensations, one of the nerves has been upset....

edit: quick google

[media]https://upload.orthobullets.com/topic/6 ... dsense.jpg[/media]

I missed a few bits it seems, but the gist is there...
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:02 pm
Perfect

The hand is fed by two nerves, IIRC - the middle finger (i think, might be the ring finger... its a long time ago.) has a feed from both and its sensation is pretty much split down the middle, one is the ulnar nerve, one is the median I think. Something like that, which will be why you have different sensations, one of the nerves has been upset....

This is what I was told -

Three were stretched, but movement only not sensation - apart from thumb and index finger!

Apparently the radial is the last to come back normally - which does the extension of fingers and wrist (and some other stuff).

I've got more than they expected at 8 weeks, but I think they are hoping the EMG will give more info (cross fingers! On the left hand!!)
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I went to Mercedes Benz World at Brooklands and they let me drive one, C63 I think.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:18 pm I went to Mercedes Benz World at Brooklands and they let me drive one, C63 I think.
Guessing yous a northerner then, lad? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Noggin wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:17 pm
Wreckless Rat wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:02 pm

Perfect

Three were stretched, but movement only not sensation - apart from thumb and index finger!

Apparently the radial is the last to come back normally - which does the extension of fingers and wrist (and some other stuff).

I've got more than they expected at 8 weeks, but I think they are hoping the EMG will give more info (cross fingers! On the left hand!!)
Sounds fair... they stretched my at the brachial plexus... so I lost everything, cane back in the end, bar a slight numbness in my thumb and first finger (the nose picker) - and my hand goes really numb on the 10R if I am “making progress” for very long...
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Noggin wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:17 pm

Finally found the translation to go with the image!!!

Nerve translation

Since your intervention you have a lack of strength on several muscles of your upper limb. These muscles are controlled by nerves from the brachial plexus which are not currently functioning properly:

The musculocutaneous nerve which controls the elbow flexion is non-functional
The radial nerve which controls the extension of the elbow, the wrist, the fingers essentially is non-functional
The ulnar nerve which essentially controls the separation of the fingers is non-functional
The Median Nerve works.

The installation of a total shoulder prosthesis requires mobilizations during the intervention and it is likely that the damage to the nerves is the consequence of a stretching of the brachial plexus. Most often recovery takes place in the months following surgery. It is interesting to carry out an electro-neuro-myogram (examination analyzing precisely the function of the nerves and the muscles) to confirm the attack of these nerves and to allow to have a reference examination for the follow-up.

Wreckless Rat wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:27 pmSounds fair... they stretched my at the brachial plexus... so I lost everything, cane back in the end, bar a slight numbness in my thumb and first finger (the nose picker) - and my hand goes really numb on the 10R if I am “making progress” for very long...
I think that I've been very lucky really. Will know more on Monday - well probably Wednesday when the doctor explains it to me!! But the physios and occ therapy peeps all think that everything is on the way back - just have to work on strength (arm and shoulder) and wait whilst the nerves do their recovery thing

Bit freaky with the finger and thumb being so sensitive, but hopefully that'll die down!! They all know that the main goal is to ride a bike from the spring - although driving a car comes first!! LOL

Hopefully!!!
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

So a relatively common thing with shoulder ops it would seem...

It does take a while - but ime it does sort itself out, mostly.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:43 pm So a relatively common thing with shoulder ops it would seem...

It does take a while - but ime it does sort itself out, mostly.
Not normally!! They were all a bit shocked, and it hadn't been mentioned pre-op

Mine was cos we left the metal in the humerus (neither the surgeon or I wanted to try and take it out if not necessary) so there was less space to work on swapping out the ball for a socket and fixing the new ball to the shoulder blade than if they'd removed it

If I hadn't been such a wimp, she might not have tried so hard to find a way not to remove the metal. Although that would have come with a whole load of other risks!!!
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Wait, they just tape the electrodes to your skin?? I had something similar but they stuck needles about an inch into my arms & legs, then turned up the voltage trying to pick up Radio Moscow.

Was about a month before the pain eventually went away completely.
Those who possess real knowledge are rare.

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:30 pm Wait, they just tape the electrodes to your skin?? I had something similar but they stuck needles about an inch into my arms & legs, then turned up the voltage trying to pick up Radio Moscow.

Was about a month before the pain eventually went away completely.
Well, they did both to me :o

First the electrodes and then the needle. I don't like needles at the best of times but having a 3 inch needle waved around at me then stuck in various bits of arm and hand (not all the way in, luckily) made me feel a bit sick!!

The electrodes weren't nice, but better than the needle!!

I messed up as wanted to ask if all the nerves had reacted (it looked as if they had on the screen) but due to feeling sick and a bit stressed from the experience, my brain wouldn't find the words. So I just asked "all the nerves are good?"

To which she replied (strongly) NON!!! Then proceeded to say LOADS of stuff in fast French!! Again, my brain didn't do the translation of this. (That always happens when I'm stressed!!). But pretty sure she said they are not working properly due to being stretched - well I know that! Didn't get the rest :?

BUT I know that the nerves are all responding, they just aren't working properly yet. Same with the muscles (pretty sure the needle test was for the muscles). All the therapists here are confident that they have seen/felt the nerves try to work/work and the muscles the same, so just waiting now for the report to see if there are any major glitches!!

The kine and ergo (physio and occ therapist) have said that whatever the results are, this test is to get a baseline result of how things are now. I'll have more in the next months so they can see any improvement! Deep joy :( :(
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

1888 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:45 am Dont like needles. I had to get on in the eye once as the anaesthetic drops did not work.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I think they might have to knock me out to achieve that!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I've got used to the blood test stuff and canulas. But random sticking a big needle in when hadn't really expected it was a struggle!!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

1888 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:56 am
Its something that has never bothered me TBH. If they cant get a vein and poke about the same area then i get a tad pissed off as it gets sore. By B12 injections are just stab in the muscle so thats no real drama either. I must admit i was pushing myself back into the chair on the eyeball one but once the skin is pierced it was OK. Still see a little dot where the needle went in when watching eye floaters at night :lol:
Sadly, I've always been a wuss when it comes to needles!!! Not so bad as long as I don't see them (the only way I managed to have piercings!!! :lol: )
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

The EMG seems to have confirmed what the physio and occ therapists thought which is good. It doesn't read that positive but I've had 8 weeks of rehab (and a week in hospital) to improve!! And everyone says the nerves are improving way faster than they expected. :D :D