3 Favourite Things In Your Mancave?

Tips, tricks, questions and answers to tech questions
Yorick

3 Favourite Things In Your Mancave?

Post by Yorick »

I've got a fully fitted Mancave and love it.
But these are the 3 things I use the most.

My Makita 18v tools. Fantastic quality and so easy to work with. No bloody cables. Got 6 or 7 of them
20240113_130432.jpg
20240113_130432.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 357 times

My bench grinder and spinny wire brush thingy. Brought it from UK and use both attachments all the time.
20240113_130441.jpg
20240113_130441.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 357 times
And my DeWalt knee pads. Use them all the time coz the skin on my knees is so painful from all the track crashes.
20240113_130423.jpg
20240113_130423.jpg (918.08 KiB) Viewed 357 times
mangocrazy

Re: 3 Favourite Things In Your Mancave?

Post by mangocrazy »

1. Abba Skylift - been a revelation in terms of ease of use, access and ability to move a bike effortlessly around a small and crowded shed/mancave

Abba_Skylift.JPG
Abba_Skylift.JPG (52.58 KiB) Viewed 347 times

2. Femi 782XL horizontal bandsaw - make fast accurate cuts at any angle in steel or aluminium, portable and (so far) maintenance-free

Femi_782XL.JPG
Femi_782XL.JPG (118.94 KiB) Viewed 347 times

3. Startrite Mercury pillar drill - a fine piece of classical British engineering. No more dicking about wondering if I'm drilling at 90 degrees or not, ploughs through any material without bothering.

DSC_4336.JPG
DSC_4336.JPG (795.96 KiB) Viewed 347 times
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

My bike, my beer fridge and my pellet smoker, ok so the smoker doesn't live in there, but was present at one time.

ImagePXL_20221202_103537709 by MrLongbeard, on Flickr
Skub

Post by Skub »

Here's two of them. This weather I'm also strongly attracted to the radiator.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Bright copper kettles and warm woollen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Julie wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:21 pm Bright copper kettles and warm woollen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings.
Walt Whitman
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

mangocrazy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:09 pm
3. Startrite Mercury pillar drill - a fine piece of classical British engineering. No more dicking about wondering if I'm drilling at 90 degrees or not, ploughs through any material without bothering.

DSC_4336.JPG
Dang! I now have pillar drill envy. :(
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

My CB1000R, my Z1170 and my 350 YPVS
Skub

Post by Skub »

mangocrazy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:09 pm 3. Startrite Mercury pillar drill - a fine piece of classical British engineering. No more dicking about wondering if I'm drilling at 90 degrees or not, ploughs through any material without bothering.
DSC_4336.JPG
That chuck key's gonna drill a funny shaped hole. :P
Walt Whitman
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Skub wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:53 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:09 pm 3. Startrite Mercury pillar drill - a fine piece of classical British engineering. No more dicking about wondering if I'm drilling at 90 degrees or not, ploughs through any material without bothering.
DSC_4336.JPG
That chuck key's gonna drill a funny shaped hole. :P
On the other hand, I'm not gonna lose it... :)
Skub

Post by Skub »

mangocrazy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:49 pm On the other hand, I'm not gonna lose it... :)
We used to lose a few after tightening the chuck on a drill,then starting the motor with the key still in. :silent:
Walt Whitman
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Skub wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:54 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:49 pm On the other hand, I'm not gonna lose it... :)
We used to lose a few eyes and teeth after tightening the chuck on a drill,then starting the motor with the key still in. :silent:
FTFY... :)
Skub

Post by Skub »

mangocrazy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:57 pm
We used to lose a few eyes and teeth after tightening the chuck on a drill,then starting the motor with the key still in. :silent:
I dunno how we got away with half the sloppy practice. Folk forgetting to switch on the magnet to hold a job in place on a surface grinder,loose vices on mills all ended up with missiles down the shop to resulting cheers.
Walt Whitman
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Skub wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:02 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:57 pm

I dunno how we got away with half the sloppy practice. Folk forgetting to switch on the magnet to hold a job in place on a surface grinder,loose vices on mills all ended up with missiles down the shop to resulting cheers.
It's an unforgiving environment when you're working with powerful engineering machines. Luck of the Irish?

I don't have an engineering background, so am naturally very cautious around my (comparatively low-powered) machines but have done the "chuck key left in the chuck and start the drill motor" sketch and escaped without injury. But only once...
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

We used to lose a few after tightening the chuck on a drill,then starting the motor with the key still in. :silent:
Done that with a lathe and the key's a bit heavier. Fortunately you had to lean left to hit the start switch so it whistled past my ear and remodelled the metal cabinet behind me.

Mind you this was in a bit of the Atomic Energy Authority where the safety officer on his rounds was noting that a gas cylinder wasn't properly secured and, in demonstrating the fact it fell on, and broke, his foot. :lol:

Gawd bless you Ted Skillen or Skippen (can't remember but he wasn't skippen for a bit with his foot in plaster. :silent: ).
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:59 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:09 pm

DSC_4336.JPG
Dang! I now have pillar drill envy. :(
Me too. I need a pillar drill.

Favourite things are probably :
My collection of Ryobi battery tools,
My collection of Elora spanners*
My workbench. I may need to break this down this year and rebuild it a bit smaller... it's 1mx2.2m and simply put.. it's too big. :(

* When I was living in Guildford, a neighbour retired and moved to France: he didn't want to take his tools with him so sold them to me: 3 large red tool chests (Clarke IIRC), full of stuff from a lifetime working in a mechanical engineering workshop, including a large number of Elora metric ring spanners. I've since added quite a few Imperial (and UNF) sizes to the collection and they're just so nice to use.
non quod, sed quomodo
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

carpet tiles

Park Tools

Multiple bicycles
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

I could give you a list of the things that I wish weren't in there:

The chest freezer - it's in a bloody stupid place for me but has to be there so people don't move, break, scratch other things to get at it
The garden furniture cushions - again same reasons as above
The old fireplace - this is getting moved in summer when there isn't anyone there to witness it's demise
The ancient waterskis hung across the window - no-on in our house has waterskied in more than 10 years- can I throw them away then? Of course not ! ( There's a chance they might join the fireplace in the summer and hang the consequences - or me :shifty: )
2 rusty old barbeques - we never ever use them as whenever it's BBQ whether we tend to be in France or invited to someone elses place as our outdoor space is totally impracticle for outdoor eating. Also BBQ briquettes for above - they ouldn't burn anyway because they've gone mouldy
The plastics i've stripped off the Triumph and the extra set I bought for a pittance which I proabably won't bother fitting :oops:
Multiple cans of paint kept for touching up - it's so old I doubt any of it's usable, pointless keeping it because 'we' always end up buying new tins. :roll:

This could be the summer of great shed re-organization but I'll need to do it on the QT otherwise people will become aware of more space and will try and dump olther crap out of the house in any newly created space. :angry-cussingblack:
'07 Griso 1100 7 '94 Sprint 900
Skub

Post by Skub »

Ditchfinder wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:51 pm I could give you a list of the things that I wish weren't in there:

The chest freezer - it's in a bloody stupid place for me but has to be there so people don't move, break, scratch other things to get at it
The garden furniture cushions - again same reasons as above
The old fireplace - this is getting moved in summer when there isn't anyone there to witness it's demise
The ancient waterskis hung across the window - no-on in our house has waterskied in more than 10 years- can I throw them away then? Of course not ! ( There's a chance they might join the fireplace in the summer and hang the consequences - or me :shifty: )
2 rusty old barbeques - we never ever use them as whenever it's BBQ whether we tend to be in France or invited to someone elses place as our outdoor space is totally impracticle for outdoor eating. Also BBQ briquettes for above - they ouldn't burn anyway because they've gone mouldy
The plastics i've stripped off the Triumph and the extra set I bought for a pittance which I proabably won't bother fitting :oops:
Multiple cans of paint kept for touching up - it's so old I doubt any of it's usable, pointless keeping it because 'we' always end up buying new tins. :roll:

This could be the summer of great shed re-organization but I'll need to do it on the QT otherwise people will become aware of more space and will try and dump olther crap out of the house in any newly created space. :angry-cussingblack:
I've been going through the same process and while the progress is glacial,it has at least got to the stage now where the garage is a pleasant place to be. Further improvement expected this Spring/Summer.
Walt Whitman
cheb

Post by cheb »

Warmth and dryth.
Lathe
Swindens vice.

The first because I like to be comfortable, the second because there's sometimes only a lathe will do, and the third because of it's ability to grip most things I work with at appropriate angles.