General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Yambo

Irony

Post by Yambo »

Whatcha got then? :D
Horse

Re: Irony

Post by Horse »

Although perhaps not ironic, more just confusing (for something that, if needed, should be exceedingly clear).
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

The Alanis Morrisette song, Ironic. Nothing she says in the lyrics is actually ironic. Which is a little ironic. Perhaps that's the irony.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Any better?

It did.

Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yambo wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:37 am Image

I don't get that?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:32 pm

I don't get that?
Thicko :mrgreen:
cheb

Post by cheb »

I don't get that?
It's a statue of a climber. Possibly Hillary, based on the O(A)P's recent travels.

Then there's this one:

Just for TP: The plinth has 'FREEDOM' carved into it, but the statue is enclosed on all sides. :|
cheb

Post by cheb »

Not in Stirling anymore. From Wiki:

In 1996 Tom Church carved a statue of Wallace called "Freedom", which was inspired by the film Braveheart.[12] It has the face of Mel Gibson, the actor who played William Wallace in the film. Church leased the statue to Stirling Council, who in 1997 installed it in the car park of the visitor centre at the foot of the craig.[12] The statue was deeply unpopular, being described as "among the most loathed pieces of public art in Scotland" [13] and was regularly vandalised [14] before being placed in a cage to prevent further damage. Plans to expand the visitor centre, including a new restaurant and reception, led to the unpopular statue's removal in 2008.[15] It was returned to Church, who, after an unsuccessful attempt to sell it at auction,[13] reportedly offered it to Donald Trump's Menie estate golf resort.[16] However, it remained in the garden of the sculptor's home, where it was incorporated into a replica of a castle, and with additions to it that included the head of the decapitated governor of York.[17] In April 2016, it was reported in local press that the statue might be moved to Ardrossan's old Barony Church.[18]
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

cheb wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:47 pm

I don't get that?
It's a statue of a climber. Possibly Hillary, based on the O(A)P's recent travels.
It's a statue of Tensing Norgay Sherpa aka Sherpa Tensing who was probably the first man to set foot on the summit of Mt Everest with Edmund Hillary back in 1953.

Tensing Norgay had spent his life climbing Himalayan mountains as a Sherpa and is very much a hero in the Khumbu region of Nepal and to be fair around the world. The irony is in the sign on the plinth 'Do Not Climb'. The peak of Everest is directly above the ice axe in his right hand (there's a big lump of mountain in front of Everest so only the peak can be seen. The statue is in Namche Bazaar, Nepal.

@cheb - fuck off. :D :D
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

So Yambo, who are you doing this tour with?
Is it anything to do with Community Action Nepals Catrecks?
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

demographic wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:53 am So Yambo, who are you doing this tour with?
Is it anything to do with Community Action Nepals Catrecks?
I took the photo last November, demo. It wasn't an organised tour. A couple of friends and I flew to Kathmandu, got a bus to Phaplu and started walking. We had a plan of course but it wasn't organised by a local company. Most sensible people fly into Lukla, the most dangerous airport in the world and then walk to Everest Base Camp (EBC). We walked an extra few kilometres (because we're both stupid and skint) going to EBC, then the long way round to Gokyo and then back to Phaplu. About 20 days walking in all.

We'd done the same in 2018 but done half of the Annapurna circuit that trip. By organising our own treks I think we put more money into the local communities where it is needed than into middlemen's pockets. For example, there's a going daily rate for a porter which we pay (and then tip) but there's no guarantee with an organised tour that the porter is going to get that going rate.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Yambo wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:15 am
demographic wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:53 am
I took the photo last November, demo. It wasn't an organised tour. A couple of friends and I flew to Kathmandu, got a bus to Phaplu and started walking. We had a plan of course but it wasn't organised by a local company. Most sensible people fly into Lukla, the most dangerous airport in the world and then walk to Everest Base Camp (EBC). We walked an extra few kilometres (because we're both stupid and skint) going to EBC, then the long way round to Gokyo and then back to Phaplu. About 20 days walking in all.

We'd done the same in 2018 but done half of the Annapurna circuit that trip. By organising our own treks I think we put more money into the local communities where it is needed than into middlemen's pockets. For example, there's a going daily rate for a porter which we pay (and then tip) but there's no guarantee with an organised tour that the porter is going to get that going rate.
Ahh, fair enough.
The one I asked about does broadly the same thing and someone I knew from when I was a kid does lectures to raise awareness and fund CAN.
Looking on his website just now and it seems he's got a brain tumour and if memory serves me right he's about the same age as my mother so he's no spring chicken.
Horse

Post by Horse »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-53875374

Production of the Australian version of hit reality TV show The Masked Singer has been suspended after several crew members tested positive for Covid-19.