Membrane trust: The best motorcycle waterproofs to keep you dry whatever the weather chosen by MCN

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
weeksy
Site Admin

Membrane trust: The best motorcycle waterproofs to keep you dry whatever the weather chosen by MCN

Post by weeksy »

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-kit ... terproofs/

Motorcycle waterproofs can be a real life-saver – especially in the UK where even the sunniest of mornings can become torrential afternoons.

There’s plenty of purpose-made waterproof kit on the market from laminated textiles through to treated denim riding jeans, but the products listed here are designed to be worn over the top of non-waterproof kit.

If you’re heading out in your leathers or a jacket and jeans but you think it might rain later, or if the shower you’re leaving in isn’t going to last, then a waterproof set or over suit could be just the job for you.

There are two options to choose from, a one-piece, which is generally more watertight and a two-piece, which is more flexible and gives you the option of just sticking the top half on if you don’t expect a downpour to last long.

1. Richa Typhoon one-piece

2. Alpinestars Hurricane

3. Oxford Rainseal Waterproofs

4. Weise Siberian

Dodgy69

Re: Membrane trust: The best motorcycle waterproofs to keep you dry whatever the weather chosen by MCN

Post by Dodgy69 »

I've got a Richa typhoon 1 piece and 2 piece, Both leak on wet motorways. 👎
Yamaha rocket 3
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: Membrane trust: The best motorcycle waterproofs to keep you dry whatever the weather chosen by MCN

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

How do MCN choose the weather?
And if they can choose the weather why isn't it always good motorcycling weather?
Honda Owner
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Think most folk on this forum hide at the first signs of rain, so target audience is a little off?
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

That's got to be the worst "just phoned in from the beach" article I've ever read (even for MCN)

First time in a long time I've seen a ZXR400 in a magazine photo though! :D
non quod, sed quomodo
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I've got a pair of these Richa over trousers and I've worn them twice. Once shortly after a got them about 4 years ago and it barely rained. Then a second time on the way home from Yeovil when it rained about a 1/3 of the trip. The trousers leaked at the crutch which is always useful!
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... prod/33286
formula400

Post by formula400 »

v8-powered wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:17 pm Think most folk on this forum hide at the first signs of rain, so target audience is a little off?
I just come home in the pissing rain, it was mad, constant hard rain for 25 mins, great fun
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

I know some people poo poo Gore tex as a product, but I've ridden some horrendous weather in my Rukka kit, thought at the time I was getting wet (temperature changes probably) then arrived back, totally bone dry.

I've never found a bike specific one or two piece that was totally dry.

When I'm on my XMax, I've got some Keela walking overtrousers that seem to do a good job, but not really sure they'd work that well in a total downpour.

We used to get some standard job issued cargo style overtrousers that were very good in all weathers. I can't get them now and can't find my old ones which is a shame. I try and stay out of the crap weather in work these days!! :D
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Nordboy wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:05 am I know some people poo poo Gore tex as a product
While I've also found Gore-Tex good, I won't waste my money on clobber with Gore-Tex Stretch. The Gore Stretch material is the one Gore-Tex material I discovered that failed eventually, letting in water :(
Horse

Post by Horse »

As an aside, WhyOhWhyOhWhy do manufacturers put a seam in the crotch? Built-in point of failure, sitting in a puddle with the seam being stretched.

Instead, use a 'U' shape panel?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Horse wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:00 pm As an aside, WhyOhWhyOhWhy do manufacturers put a seam in the crotch? Built-in point of failure, sitting in a puddle with the seam being stretched.

Instead, use a 'U' shape panel?
I think they all make shitty products,so you have to keep buying more in the off chance you'll luck onto a good set. A set of DOE yellow gear is way more waterproof than any of the bike rubbish.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955