Lighting problem

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
David

Lighting problem

Post by David »

Ok...I know I should have marked it first....
I am moving the kitchen ceiling light.
Pulled down the existing (working ) fitting...made a hole through into the loft above the kitchen for the new lamp. By the time I had dug a hole in the loft floor to find the existing cables and pulled them up, I couldn't remember which lines went where.
There are two twin and earths into the old fitting...leaving two reds and two blacks. The lamp is connected to a chocolate block.
I have tried the two reds together. The two blacks together, 1 red and 1black in a variety of combinations and mixed pairs and singles in other combinations.
It seems one is always live with the power on.

I either have no light or a permanent light. Its very frustrating as the cables are a bit tight so I am working on my nose iyswim,
I am sure one of the blacks was not connected originally, but of course it could have pulled out when I lowered the fitting.

Is there any one that can point me in the right direction?

TIA.
David

Re: Lighting problem

Post by David »

I think I have it (By Jove, he's got it!)
S'obvious innit...
There is no ongoing loop as its an extension with just one lamp. So..the permanent live will connect to the black of the other cable..the other red will go to the lamp, the black from the permanent live goes to the otherside of the lamp.
Not tonight....listen for the bang in the morning.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Something doesn't sound right. I'd expect three twin and earth cables to a normal light fitting, loop in, loop out and switch, the neutral on the switch cable is actually the live feed into the lamp itself and should have red tape or sleeve around it to show it's a live wire.
Is this light one of a few that are all switched on together by one switch? Are there multiple switches for the same light?
It's difficult to suggest anything as I don't know what's there and I am not an electrician, I would suggest you Google how UK lighting circuits are wired, it's not intuitive but also not complicated.
Randomly connecting wires and hoping for the best could end in disaster.
David

Post by David »

Definitely 2 twin and earth...i think its just an add on spur...and dont forget this is wales...
Avoided disaster as there is a elt on it..swmbo'd is running back and forth turning the breaker off and on...of course, she might "accidently" get it the wrong way.....
David

Post by David »

Thats exactly wot oi fourt....
Ta for the help. I will report back in the morning...subject to my previous post.
David

Post by David »

These are pink...or at least the wine is. Only a couple of glasses tho as i am knackered.
Oh...and a couple of ginger beers.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Eeny, meeny, myny moe. What can go wrong?
David

Post by David »

1888 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:22 pm
David wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:43 pm These are pink...or at least the wine is. Only a couple of glasses tho as i am knackered.
Oh...and a couple of ginger beers.

I was asking more for the hospital visit. Do you want red or green brought in with your bottle of Lucozade?
Oh yea of little faith.....
David

Post by David »

Well, 1888, don't buy any grapes.
As I thought, it was a case of permanent live and switch, no loop. Fitted and the new lamp is hanging....a bit skewiff.
I am just waiting for swmbo'd to say
"Can't stand that, put it back as it was"

The new shade (2nd hand) is an acid yellow bamboo thing and I suspect it was machined a little off.
Horse

Post by Horse »

David wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:39 am Fitted and the new lamp is hanging....a bit skewiff. The new shade ... I suspect it was machined a little off.
Ooh that's a good addition for the book of excuses :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave: