Shadow foam toolbox/case

Tips, tricks, questions and answers to tech questions
Tricky

Re: Shadow foam toolbox/case

Post by Tricky »

Demannu wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:09 pm
weeksy wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:46 pm Long been thinking about this for the race day tools.

There's companies you send the box and tools to and they make it all fit.

Or you buy the box and foam and do it yourself

https://www.redboxtools.com/product/cus ... ing-tools/

It's something I'm considering but I honestly don't have the aptitude for this sort of thing myself. However I think paying someone would be incredibly expensive
I just like it when you just tip your tools all over the floor in a Donington pit garage!
So much simpler :banana-wrench:
I remember that :lol: :lol:

@weeksy I can understand needing this approach if you are hopping on and off planes and/or public transport etc, but not when you're travelling in your van, and seriously , how many tools can you possibly need for a pushbike?
Wouldn't it be simpler and just as effective to use one box something like this, designating one drawer for , say, spanners, one for screwdrivers, one pliers, one hammers/drifts , one special tools etc- is what I do, and I'm guessing you've probably already got this sort of box in the garage?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225857046208 ... media=COPY

Or I guess you could buy this, chuck away all the cheap-shit madefromcheese tools and populate it with your own?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225804414293 ... media=COPY

cheb

Post by cheb »

I've emailed to find out how much to foam this:

This is as close to having sentimental value as any of my tools get, I bought it when I was 18. I don't like speed wrenches nor tommy bars so they got replaced, the UJ was given away for the same reason. One replaced socket IIRC, the 19mm. That got dropped and I couldn't be fussed looking for it in the welly deep rotting seaweed I was working in at the time while stripping down a used fish farm cage pontoon
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Tricky wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:48 pm .... and seriously , how many tools can you possibly need for a pushbike?

Don't get him started!! :D :D

FWIW, loose tools in a metal box can make a hell of a racket in a van.
non quod, sed quomodo
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

It's worthwhile noting that when you hold tools in foam, they take up a greater area than when they're loose - anything from 50% to 100% more, at a very rough guess. They are very unlikely to fit in the same container when foamed as when loose.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

They're also 50-100% more annoying to get in and out of the box.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:57 pm They're also 50-100% more annoying to get in and out of the box.
And yet, somehow it seems to be a thing some people want... I could show you countless examples :)
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:57 pm They're also 50-100% more annoying to get in and out of the box.
Depends really. I find the correct spanner comes to hand much more easily from a shadow-foamed tray than when it's just floating around loose.

And small thumb-gaps around each tool make a big difference...
non quod, sed quomodo
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I've lined the drawers in my rollcab with some rubber coated mesh shit that was designed to protect the rear of a motorcycle from throw over luggage. Then laid the tools neatly on top of it.

Not so good for bouncing around in the back of a van, but everything stays in place when you open/close the drawers.
Horse

Post by Horse »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:42 pm I've lined the drawers in my rollcab with some rubber coated mesh shit that was designed to protect the rear of a motorcycle from throw over luggage. Then laid the tools neatly on top of it.

Not so good for bouncing around in the back of a van, but everything stays in place when you open/close the drawers.
https://www.clearwellmobility.co.uk/non ... rolls.html
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

weeksy wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:21 pm
And yet, somehow it seems to be a thing some people want... I could show you countless examples :)
Yeah plenty of good reasons for it.

The fact that you could show me loads of people on the internet who've done it to their hand tool box probably tells you 97% of the reason they've done it :D
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Horse wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:55 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:42 pm I've lined the drawers in my rollcab with some rubber coated mesh shit that was designed to protect the rear of a motorcycle from throw over luggage. Then laid the tools neatly on top of it.

https://www.clearwellmobility.co.uk/non ... rolls.html
You can buy this in IKEA for putting under rugs too, ITSR it's called 'Stopp' (2 ps!). Might be a bit thinner though.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Demannu wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:09 pm
weeksy wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:46 pm Long been thinking about this for the race day tools.

It's something I'm considering but I honestly don't have the aptitude for this sort of thing myself. However I think paying someone would be incredibly expensive
I just like it when you just tip your tools all over the floor in a Donington pit garage!
So much simpler :banana-wrench:
Aaaah - but that wasn't Weeksy - just Weeksy's tools! (Sockets?)

Long live Fizzy in our memories!!

Pre Fizzy -

Fizzy clearing up!!

Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Yep - I still have some of that in some of the drawers. the only annoying thing about it is that if it DOES get rucked up, then it tends to stay that way .
non quod, sed quomodo
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

I use yoga mats.

demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

The whole shadowfoam is ok as long as you know exactly what tools cover everything youll need.
Change parts so the kit is different and then tou need a random box. Or at the very least, another foam tray.

Give it a go, see how you get on.
It's not for me as the tools I use for work very a lot and I dont have enough space in the van to do it but its a good way to keep track of gear, especially if the cutouts have a contrasting colour in the bottoms.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Noggin wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:39 pm

Aaaah - but that wasn't Weeksy - just Weeksy's tools! (Sockets?)

Long live Fizzy in our memories!!

Pre Fizzy -

Fizzy clearing up!!

Aye, indeed, wish you were still with us you mad bugger :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Anyway, apols for slight thread hijack- as you were :)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

lol raining at Pembrey.... surely not !
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

So there's a possibility they could make me an insert for my favourite TENG MR101 toolset as the liner has gone brittle and broken up in places. Teng no longer sell that kit of have anymore liners anywhere. I shall drop them an email. Cheers for posting that! :thumbup:

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Skub

Post by Skub »

There's always room for a big fuck off hammer and an adjustable spanner. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955