The kings is dead... long live the king.....

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Supermofo

Re: The kings is dead... long live the king.....

Post by Supermofo »

Nordboy wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:54 am How does the subscription thing work? It’s not really clear that if I get a monthly subscription, I get 1kg a month. If I subscribe for a weekly, is that then 250g a week or 1kg a week? I think I know what the answer must surely be, but I can’t seem to find a proper answer on the site?
I've got a monthly sub for a variety pack. I get 4 250g bags a month. I read it that if you got a weekly you get the same amount per week so 4kg a month, which is a lot of coffee!
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:59 pm
Haha.. I have no orders for Wheelnut... :lol: orders go out of here daily, generally in the post the same day or next day, depending on how busy I am in my real job.
It arrived yesterday - I'm looking forward to trying it once the current hopper is empty of Aldi's best. :D

Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Nordboy wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:54 am How does the subscription thing work? It’s not really clear that if I get a monthly subscription, I get 1kg a month. If I subscribe for a weekly, is that then 250g a week or 1kg a week? I think I know what the answer must surely be, but I can’t seem to find a proper answer on the site?
It does say on the site, just under the description:

What do you get?

1 = 1Kg in 4 x 250g bags of your chosen beans
1 Variety Pack = 1Kg of various beans in 4 x 250g bags

You get these either once a month on the monthly, or once a week on the weekly. You have to be quite an addict to take the weekly subscription. :)
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Ok. I’m home again now!

I have a little espresso boiler thingy for a hob or a cafetière to make the coffee

Sooooo

- I LOVE the smell of coffee
- Hate the bitter aftertaste
- Because of the aftertaste, when I order coffee I have latte with sugar. Don’t really want the faff of making hot milk for latte at home
- As I only drink bastardised coffee (heavily milked/sugared) I haven’t experienced the ‘undertones’ that are described

Definitely need a recommendation!! Please!! ;)
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

This is a tough one... lol

Ok - all coffee has some bitterness to it, I drink milk based coffees in the main. A cortado style, so strong as... with a splash of sugar. This I feel is a good way of tasting all the flavours of a coffee, while mellowing them out, with a touch of milk, but not destroying the flavour so you are just drinking a hot milk with a touch of coffee.

If you don't like stronger coffees, things like the monsoon malabar, or el salvador are lighter, I now have some Honduras, which is macerated in drums for 90hrs, in the cherry, then dried and processed natural. These beans are really fruity - but not to everyone's tastes. They are a bit left-field and suit someone looking for a change, or something different in their cup.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:07 pm This is a tough one... lol

Ok - all coffee has some bitterness to it, I drink milk based coffees in the main. A cortado style, so strong as... with a splash of sugar. This I feel is a good way of tasting all the flavours of a coffee, while mellowing them out, with a touch of milk, but not destroying the flavour so you are just drinking a hot milk with a touch of coffee.

If you don't like stronger coffees, things like the monsoon malabar, or el salvador are lighter, I now have some Honduras, which is macerated in drums for 90hrs, in the cherry, then dried and processed natural. These beans are really fruity - but not to everyone's tastes. They are a bit left-field and suit someone looking for a change, or something different in their cup.
Now I kinda want to try the cherry one! Will go to the website in a bit and look for the Honduras. Can you grind it before sending? Have nothing here for that yet (If I happen to be near Lidl when they are selling a grinder I'd buy it for other stuff too, but currently limited on equipment!!)
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Noggin wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:11 pm

Now I kinda want to try the cherry one! Will go to the website in a bit and look for the Honduras. Can you grind it before sending? Have nothing here for that yet (If I happen to be near Lidl when they are selling a grinder I'd buy it for other stuff too, but currently limited on equipment!!)

I take it I need Filter/French Press for a cafetiere?
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Noggin wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:13 pm
Noggin wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:11 pm

I take it I need Filter/French Press for a cafetiere?
You are correct :)
Claude

Post by Claude »

Currently supping one of the Ethiopian beans. Delightful!
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

Got 'ny thing in a cat shit blend?
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Nope, the thought makes me :sick: why anyone would do that I have no idea.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

inewham wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:09 am I worked with a serious coffee nerd, he had some and said it was nothing special, distinctly unimpressed.

While I'm on the subject of less common coffees what's the opinion on Jamaican blue mountain? I used to work with someone whose family back home owned a plantation so he always swore it was the best but I've never tried any.
It’s “ok” but nothing special and certainly not worth the money imho - there are far far better coffees that are far cheaper too.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

What are the delivery times like Wratty? I meant to place an order 2 weeks ago and it completely slipped my mind :?
non quod, sed quomodo
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

They have been slow tbh - Royal Mail is totally overloaded.

Orders today will go out into Mondays post.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:39 pm They have been slow tbh - Royal Mail is totally overloaded.

Orders today will go out into Mondays post.
Fingers crossed!
non quod, sed quomodo
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Got mine, so very much a case of FYJIMA.

(Go look it up :) )
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

inewham wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:09 am I worked with a serious coffee nerd, he had some and said it was nothing special, distinctly unimpressed.

While I'm on the subject of less common coffees what's the opinion on Jamaican blue mountain? I used to work with someone whose family back home owned a plantation so he always swore it was the best but I've never tried any.
I once had some, fresh roasted, in the Blue Mountains. The farmer was roasting the beans over an open fire with a huge wok-type pan. I think the reason it tasted so good was that he was smoking the biggest, stinking spliff I've ever seen and most of it was falling in the pot as he stirred it. :D
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Just a quick thank you to all of you who have supported my little operation in coffee. I truly do hope you enjoy what I am trying to achieve.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, and I hope you fill yours and your guests (pmsl) after dinner coffee cup with some of the world famous WVC.
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:17 pm Just a quick thank you to all of you who have supported my little operation in coffee. I truly do hope you enjoy what I am trying to achieve.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, and I hope you fill yours and your guests (pmsl) after dinner coffee cup with some of the world famous WVC.
We've had our latest delivery and now have a nice little stock which should last for a little while.

The wife and my eldest absolutely love your coffee, well, the two they've tried so far ;) I've never drunk coffee, but the amazing smell of the coffee even got me to try a cup. Coffee still isn't really for me, but I'll keep trying :P

The machine I bought for her has gone down a treat, it's only a bean 2 cup, and will never make the best coffee, but it's easy to use and makes 'good' coffee, especially with the right beans.

Next time I order, chuck some business cards or flyers in the box and i'll start giving them out, see if I can drum up some business for you.

Have a great christmas :thumbup:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

The coffee is here, the coffee is here!!!

Thank you loads!!

I haven't tried it as since it arrived I've been mostly out! But, tomorrow I will reach down the cafetiere and have a try!! :D

(The lemony biscuits are pretty darned good tho!!) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: