Stuff you've cooked/baked/made today

Anything from pizza to pasta, from steak to cake.
mangocrazy

Re: Stuff you've cooked/baked/made today

Post by mangocrazy »

Noggin wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:37 pm The brown loaf failed - again. Well, it'll be used, but it never rises with wholewheat flour the way it does with multigrain or almost any other I've tried! Next week I'll try half and half with white bread flour and see if that works better.
I use half and half white/wholemeal and to be honest it looks just the same, but is definitely not as heavy and seems to rise better. I've also started making my mixes wetter and that seems to improve the rise. Try leaving the amount of water the same and substituting half of the wholemeal flour for white.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:03 pm
Noggin wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:37 pm The brown loaf failed - again. Well, it'll be used, but it never rises with wholewheat flour the way it does with multigrain or almost any other I've tried! Next week I'll try half and half with white bread flour and see if that works better.
I use half and half white/wholemeal and to be honest it looks just the same, but is definitely not as heavy and seems to rise better. I've also started making my mixes wetter and that seems to improve the rise. Try leaving the amount of water the same and substituting half of the wholemeal flour for white.
Thanx, I'll give that a go next time. I've tried with soda bread and various 'normal' bread recipes but none seem to like the wholewheat!! I made an awesome multigrain loaf last week and that rose how I think they should - but the wholewheat ones are always a visual disappointment and bloody heavy to eat!! I know they are going to be heavy and not rise much cos they never rise much when proving :(

Todays was quite wet, the recipe was something like 400g wholewheat (or other type) and 100g of white bread flour. So I'll definitely be trying half and half next time :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I substitute 50ml of the water for olive oil - it seems to keep the loaf moister for longer. Also use fresh yeast (if you don't already) - it's readily available in French supermarkets near us.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Last night's baking becomes this morning's breakfast. White loaf for Mrs Mango, wholemeal for me. Flour courtesy of Gilchester Organics (unbleached in the case of the white flour).

DSCF4025.JPG
DSCF4025.JPG (731.6 KiB) Viewed 66 times
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Those loaves look amazing!
mangocrazy wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:28 pm I substitute 50ml of the water for olive oil - it seems to keep the loaf moister for longer. Also use fresh yeast (if you don't already) - it's readily available in French supermarkets near us.
I keep buying fresh yeast and then actually baking :roll: And the nearest place that sells it is 40 mins away :( I need to plan better :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde: